• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's good and what's bad

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
So I noticed that there's a lot of these on Fable 3, so I thought "Why not Fable:TLC!"

I thought that the story was kind of what everybody did so it wasn't a story to die for. I did like however, the antagonist, Jack of Blades.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
Don't know. Jack of Blades was your typical hellbent power hungry bad guy, destroying just because he's evil. A dragon from back in the days of dragons that terrified the crap out of people. A weak dragon to boot. Maybe they can sue Bethesda over the dragon business.

In terms of story I find the most pressing problem in all the games is motivation. The only reason I felt like finishing the story in TLC, all ten minutes of it, was so that the villagers would shut up about that problem in the woods that some hero should probably take care of. Oh, my parents died, how original. Don't forget the major selling point, like with Moly's other games, choices. A game marketed on choice and consequence but there's no consequence. Kill all the other heroes and be the evilest prick in the land, you still end up killing the bad guy at the end. Whether you choose to kill your sister and keep the mask or not, people around you don't seem terribly shocked and continue doing their daily routines regardless. There's nothing there central to the plot that rewards or punishes for being good or evil, so it's any action without any consequence. Again going back to motivation, why bother giving a single modicum of a damn when in the end it doesn't matter what you do anyway, things end up being more or less exactly the same.

Motivation aside, the other problem is plot. On every occasion where the plot thickens, it thins out just as quickly. Maze wasn't bad, just a poor tortured soul hoping to redeem himself. But he's dead now so, *shrug*. My sister is alive and in league with bandits, that sounds pretty awesome, right? Well it would be if she didn't just voluntarily leave her bandit king boyfriend the moment you get to "rescue" her. You spare Whisper's life and think that finally the two of you can work together. Nope, she's leaving. Might as well punch her before seeing her off to get a lecture on how immature you are. Nostro, once Guildmaster, a man who fought for good his entire life and unlife, presumably poisoned by the current Guildmaster, and your only interaction with him is limited to killing him again after putting him back together. Just dandy. What a big fat help you are Nostro. There's a story there. And they could have done so much with it. With all the lore and story elements that they could have used creating a damn good plot, they spat out this, what we have now. Shameful.

This isn't something you get a comedy writer slash journalist slash whatever for. Who's going to write this story better?

This guy?
bXvVt.jpg

Or this guy?
rphCo.jpg

King looks like he's even been in a fairy tale or two. Scare fellow. Hill's a fine guy and a fine writer. Just not what they needed for this one.

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
Don't know. Jack of Blades was your typical hellbent power hungry bad guy, destroying just because he's evil. A dragon from back in the days of dragons that terrified the crap out of people. A weak dragon to boot. Maybe they can sue Bethesda over the dragon business.

In terms of story I find the most pressing problem in all the games is motivation. The only reason I felt like finishing the story in TLC, all ten minutes of it, was so that the villagers would shut up about that problem in the woods that some hero should probably take care of. Oh, my parents died, how original. Don't forget the major selling point, like with Moly's other games, choices. A game marketed on choice and consequence but there's no consequence. Kill all the other heroes and be the evilest prick in the land, you still end up killing the bad guy at the end. Whether you choose to kill your sister and keep the mask or not, people around you don't seem terribly shocked and continue doing their daily routines regardless. There's nothing there central to the plot that rewards or punishes for being good or evil, so it's any action without any consequence. Again going back to motivation, why bother giving a single modicum of a damn when in the end it doesn't matter what you do anyway, things end up being more or less exactly the same.

Motivation aside, the other problem is plot. On every occasion where the plot thickens, it thins out just as quickly. Maze wasn't bad, just a poor tortured soul hoping to redeem himself. But he's dead now so, *shrug*. My sister is alive and in league with bandits, that sounds pretty awesome, right? Well it would be if she didn't just voluntarily leave her bandit king boyfriend the moment you get to "rescue" her. You spare Whisper's life and think that finally the two of you can work together. Nope, she's leaving. Might as well punch her before seeing her off to get a lecture on how immature you are. Nostro, once Guildmaster, a man who fought for good his entire life and unlife, presumably poisoned by the current Guildmaster, and your only interaction with him is limited to killing him again after putting him back together. Just dandy. What a big fat help you are Nostro. There's a story there. And they could have done so much with it. With all the lore and story elements that they could have used creating a damn good plot, they spat out this, what we have now. Shameful.

This isn't something you get a comedy writer slash journalist slash whatever for. Who's going to write this story better?

This guy?
bXvVt.jpg

Or this guy?
rphCo.jpg

King looks like he's even been in a fairy tale or two. Scare fellow. Hill's a fine guy and a fine writer. Just not what they needed for this one.
Nicely said. Someone should probably do a remake and do something with those back stories.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
I've seen how Microsoft does remakes. They'd redo some of the textures, throw a sound filter over the voices, change the UI a bit and update some logos. The rest would be the same. They'd use the same people who developed the game and release it on XBLA and sell it for $20. I've gone through tons and tons of old posts, a hobby of mine, and what I've learned is that Fable and Fable: TLC wasn't designed in a way that allows for easy modifications. If someone wanted to change the quests, dialog, cutscenes, anything like that, they're pretty much out of luck.

I should really stop talking about these things. It makes me want to make my own Fable variant... there's some decent enough writing talent right here on these forums.

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
Well, perhaps someone should just start from scratch and refer to the original fable. :)
Like you said in that thread, there could be someone to pick up the pace.

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
Um, that's why they call a re-make? Just like a movie that is re-mastered or re-released?

Or maybe just branch off and scratch any story made so far off and start everything over properly this time around, this would work better than another half century long timeskip.
eh, that too