• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which Laptop is better?

sammypetter

Reaction score
Which Laptop is better?

I have sitting in my living two brand new laptops, one made by ACER and the other made by Gateway (same parent company)with almost identical specs. I plan on keeping one and returning the other.

The primary difference as far as audio recording/editing is concerned is that they have different RAM/CPU configurations.

Laptop #1 (ACER) has an Intel Core i3-330M Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache with Hyper-Threading Technology). It comes with 4GB of RAM DDR3 1066MHz, upgradable to 8GB.

Laptop #2 (Gateway) has an Intel Core i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz with Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache). It also has 4GB of RAM DDR3 1066MHz, BUT 4GB is the max RAM it can hold.

So which do you guys think is better for a DAW? My primary concern is longevity. Obviously Laptop #2 is better out of the box. But I'd like this laptop to last me awhile, and in a couple years I like knowing that I can upgrade the RAM on Laptop #1 to 8GB if necessary. I did that on my desktop after a few years and it was almost like getting a new computer for $75.

Am I being dumb? Is 4GB of DDR3 more than enough? Should I keep the one with the better Core i5 processor?

Any and all comments appreciated.