• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Will user - From will-markings to liverspots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodtom

Reaction score
Will user - From will-markings to liverspots

I wanted to post this forum cause I had a few things to say.

First off, I wanna say the stuff I like about the new levelling system. The idea of weapons/spells evolving by their use instead of pouring experience into them is a great idea - I love it. This means that you can stick to one weapon the entire game and get a weapon of legend - YOUR legend, however, instead of somebody else's. Spell weaving is also a wicked awesome situation, and I am curious to see some of the combos and their effects!

However, I feel the character levelling system is a bit out of touch.

I admit my biggest thing is vanity on the area of the Will powers - whatever happened to getting blue glowing eyes and neat blue markings across your skin? Why is it now Will users instead get to experience the magic of premature aging? Will there be ways to reverse - or even halt - the aging effect? And will we still get awesome blue will-markings and glowing eyes?

I don't know, maybe I'm just being vain, but I rather liked levelling will even though I was always a melee fighter, and now it seems casting spells acts more as a sacrifice or a punishment or something.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Will user - From will-markings to liverspots

The magic system has moved to Gauntlets system. Basically a pair of gauntlets that let you cast any spell you want, the power of the gauntlets and the level of the spells will vary depending on how often you use spells.

I don't think the hands will get blue or there will be any aging effect, there's no more experience. I believe your gauntlets will just change slightly their appearance depending on how you use them and how many times you use them.

Though, in the older Fable games, you could reverse the aging effect by donating to some temple. For example the Temple of Avo in Fable. However, the effect is limited. You could also modify Fable - The Lost Chapters in order to look younger even when you have maxed out your will abilities.

The magic weakening in Albion, anymore. Technology is taking over and the secrets of magic are getting even more, lost.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412456 said:
The magic system has moved to Gauntlets system. Basically a pair of gauntlets that let you cast any spell you want, the power of the gauntlets and the level of the spells will vary depending on how often you use spells.

I don't think the hands will get blue or there will be any aging effect, there's no more experience. I believe your gauntlets will just change slightly their appearance depending on how you use them and how many times you use them.

The magic weakening in Albion, anymore. Technology is taking over and the secrets of magic are getting even more, lost.

There is a levelling system, just no more experience absorption - your characters change as they fight, according to what I read. Melee users grow more muscular, ranged fighters grow taller, and will users age prematurely. I don't mind the first two as long as they are like they were in Fable 2 and not Fable 1 (were you grew rediculously tall and rediculously muscular) but the aging thing seems like a deterrant.

Also, do gauntlets have a physical form? Or are they just a representation for the spells? I havent seen them in game, but admittedly most screens I see the hero is wearing sleeved coats and gloves.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412457 said:
There is a levelling system, just no more experience absorption - your characters change as they fight, according to what I read. Melee users grow more muscular, ranged fighters grow taller, and will users age prematurely. I don't mind the first two as long as they are like they were in Fable 2 and not Fable 1 (were you grew rediculously tall and rediculously muscular) but the aging thing seems like a deterrant.

Well mages always tend to look older because of their will abilities (and wisdom). However, usually in the Fable games there's some temple (good) where you donate and you become younger. Of course this effect doesn't last too much, until to a point.

Though, in the older Fable games, you could reverse the aging effect by donating to some temple. For example the Temple of Avo in Fable. However, the effect is limited. You could also modify Fable - The Lost Chapters in order to look younger even when you have maxed out your will abilities.

Therefore, if you choose the way of magic, expect to grow older but powerful quickly.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412458 said:
Well mages always tend to look older because of their will abilities (and wisdom). However, usually in the Fable games there's some temple (good) where you donate and you become younger. Of course this effect doesn't last too much, until to a point.

Therefore, if you choose the way of magic, expect to grow older but powerful quickly.

For that heavy a price, I'd hope the Will spells got rediculously powerful at higher levels - to the point you become walking apocalypse - because I personally usually just stick to swords, unless a Will spell proves convinient (like force-pushing people when I'm surrounded.) Plus, I liked will-markings better - something cool about glowing eyes and weird blue shapes/crackles across the skin.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412459 said:
For that heavy a price, I'd hope the Will spells got rediculously powerful at higher levels - to the point you become walking apocalypse - because I personally usually just stick to swords, unless a Will spell proves convinient (like force-pushing people when I'm surrounded.) Plus, I liked will-markings better - something cool about glowing eyes and weird blue shapes/crackles across the skin.

I never liked will markings myself. They made my characters look a bit un-stylish, but that just depends on the player. Myself I prefer to focus mostly on ranged weapons than swords or magic.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412461 said:
I never liked will markings myself. They made my characters look a bit un-stylish, but that just depends on the player. Myself I prefer to focus mostly on ranged weapons than swords or magic.

un-stylish? Style is a thing you do to look good. I loved the will-markings (particularly, as they were presented in Fable 1) because they made you look different from an ordinary human. It gave the hero a sort of mystical appearance. To me, when you levelled will, you more appropriatly showed what seperated you from ordinary humans (I don't think ordinary humans can use will power, seeing as Lucien had to be exposed to the tower a long period of time to gain his powers, and had to embed tower shards in his soldiers so they could use them.)

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412463 said:
un-stylish? Style is a thing you do to look good. I loved the will-markings (particularly, as they were presented in Fable 1) because they made you look different from an ordinary human. It gave the hero a sort of mystical appearance. To me, when you levelled will, you more appropriatly showed what seperated you from ordinary humans (I don't think ordinary humans can use will power, seeing as Lucien had to be exposed to the tower a long period of time to gain his powers, and had to embed tower shards in his soldiers so they could use them.)

Well, definitely Fable had better design concepts than Fable II when it comes to magic usage effects. However, in Fable II the magic effects weren't that good as the first Fable. I felt like my hero had some neons applied on his body instead to be using magic. I likely avoided magic more than I did in Fable, because of this fact: it was ruining my character's look.

Style isn't just about good looking but having something unique and inspiriting, it's something that few can see over something. Many people confuse it often with symmetry/asymmetry however they aren't a big part of the question, mostly style comes from the artistic way to look towards something specific.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412464 said:
Well, definitely Fable had better design concepts than Fable II when it comes to magic usage effects. However, in Fable II the magic effects weren't that good as the first Fable. I felt like my hero had some neons applied on his body instead to be using magic. I likely avoided magic more than I did in Fable, because of this fact: it was ruining my character's look.

Style isn't just about good looking but having something unique and inspiriting, it's something that few can see over something. Many people confuse it often with symmetry/asymmetry however they aren't a big part of the question, mostly style comes from the artistic way to look towards something specific.

Yeah, I agree, I preferred Fable 1's magic over Fable 2's. I liked the quick access, and really Fable 2's magic system had potential, but it felt like the guy who was supposed to come up with the new magic system came in on the deadline and was asked for the new magic system plan and went ".... Ahhhh...... uh-huh........... OH! M-maybe...." lol

I loved Fable 2's will lines as well, of course, so that's a point we do differ on. But, I could live with either or - to be honest, I thought the glowing blue/red markings on the Hero for III WERE the will-lines - apparantly, they are either something from the costumes or an effect of extreme morphing (which DOES give the 'more than human' effect, but at the same time I feel the wings a bit dramatic.)

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412468 said:
Yeah, I agree, I preferred Fable 1's magic over Fable 2's. I liked the quick access, and really Fable 2's magic system had potential, but it felt like the guy who was supposed to come up with the new magic system came in on the deadline and was asked for the new magic system plan and went ".... Ahhhh...... uh-huh........... OH! M-maybe...." lol

I loved Fable 2's will lines as well, of course, so that's a point we do differ on. But, I could live with either or - to be honest, I thought the glowing blue/red markings on the Hero for III WERE the will-lines - apparantly, they are either something from the costumes or an effect of extreme morphing (which DOES give the 'more than human' effect, but at the same time I feel the wings a bit dramatic.)

We will see when Fable III gets released. I just hope the will lines will look better than Fable II, just as they did in the first Fable. Though I doubt there will be any will lines or effects in Fable III, due to the fact that gauntlets are used. The hero doesn't cast magic directly from his/her own body.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412471 said:
We will see when Fable III gets released. I just hope the will lines will look better than Fable II, just as they did in the first Fable. Though I doubt there will be any will lines or effects in Fable III, due to the fact that gauntlets are used. The hero doesn't cast magic directly from his/her own body.

Sure they do - they shoot it from their hands. I'm convinced the gauntlets are just a mechanic to escape the 2D GUI as best they can with as flashy a manner as they can (assuming by the fact they turned clothing into a fashion statement instead of a potential tactical advantage in combat.)

Besides, if he/she doesn't have will powers, that makes Fable III's hero a hero in title only, considering that means they did not inherit their parents' powers (the lineage they come from mixes all three disciplins, which I assume means it's an 'all or nothing' genetic inheritence situation.) I got a feeling this is gonna be one of those games where your character is normal and Logan is the TRUE hero (not in the sense he's the good guy, just in the sense he got the power)

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412472 said:
Sure they do - they shoot it from their hands. I'm convinced the gauntlets are just a mechanic to escape the 2D GUI as best they can with as flashy a manner as they can (assuming by the fact they turned clothing into a fashion statement instead of a potential tactical advantage in combat.)

Besides, if he/she doesn't have will powers, that makes Fable III's hero a hero in title only, considering that means they did not inherit their parents' powers (the lineage they come from mixes all three disciplins, which I assume means it's an 'all or nothing' genetic inheritence situation.) I got a feeling this is gonna be one of those games where your character is normal and Logan is the TRUE hero (not in the sense he's the good guy, just in the sense he got the power)

Actually, the Hero of Bowerstone had to earn will experience to unlock his/her own powers in the first place. Same should go for the Hero of Fable III and Logan. Seems they haven't earned will experience yet, however in order to use will, the Hero of Fable III requires gauntlets.

Not all hero's were capable of using magic. For example: Hammer, Reaver even Briar Rose, Scarlet Robe and Thunder. These hero's mentioned weren't magic users, though they were still notable hero's.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412475 said:
Actually, the Hero of Bowerstone had to earn will experience to unlock his/her own powers in the first place. Same should go for the Hero of Fable III and Logan. Seems they haven't earned will experience yet, however in order to use will, the Hero of Fable III requires gauntlets.

Not all hero's were capable of using magic. For example: Hammer, Reaver even Briar Rose, Scarlet Robe and Thunder. These hero's mentioned weren't magic users, though they were still notable hero's.

The experience was a gameplay mechanic - the followers replaced that mechanic, and actual growth occurs via fighting. This means the hero's power should still grow.

And of course not all heroes can use will, but not all heroes are descended from "the lineage" either. Unless I'm misinterpreting what I've seen, part of the effect of the bloodline the Heroes of Bowerstone and Oakvale were part of was known for being powerful in all three schools, instead of just one, and that was supposedly what made their bloodline so special (besides being descended from the Archon, who was, himself, notable for his immense will powers)

Also, Scarlet Robe's exact strength was never delved into, though considering her empowerment of her son after escaping prison, she seems to have SOME will potential. Briar Rose COULD use will, in that she could create copies of herself and a few other will abilities if I recall. Thunder also could use will, in the form of a huge lightningbolt he shot from the tip of his sword.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412476 said:
The experience was a gameplay mechanic - the followers replaced that mechanic, and actual growth occurs via fighting. This means the hero's power should still grow.

And of course not all heroes can use will, but not all heroes are descended from "the lineage" either. Unless I'm misinterpreting what I've seen, part of the effect of the bloodline the Heroes of Bowerstone and Oakvale were part of was known for being powerful in all three schools, instead of just one, and that was supposedly what made their bloodline so special (besides being descended from the Archon, who was, himself, notable for his immense will powers)

Also, Scarlet Robe's exact strength was never delved into, though considering her empowerment of her son after escaping prison, she seems to have SOME will potential. Briar Rose COULD use will, in that she could create copies of herself and a few other will abilities if I recall. Thunder also could use will, in the form of a huge lightningbolt he shot from the tip of his sword.

That's true. However, that doesn't mean that such power can be forgotten through time. In order to learn magic, the hero's of the bloodline, had to earn the experience first.

Apparently the Hero of Fable III, didn't have the chance as the Hero of Bowerstone did, apparently making him to use gauntlets. However, who knows, perhaps the gauntlets are used to enhance his ability and to manipulate it in a better way?

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412477 said:
That's true. However, that doesn't mean that such power can be forgotten through time. In order to learn magic, the hero's of the bloodline, had to earn the experience first.

Apparently the Hero of Fable III, didn't have the chance as the Hero of Bowerstone did, apparently making him to use gauntlets. However, who knows, perhaps the gauntlets are used to enhance his ability and to manipulate it in a better way?

Once again, you kinda mistake the experience for an actual physical thing - Experience is just a game mechanic that was applied for some reason chosen over the usual form of gaining experience/levelling. Otherwise, the Hero would get green experience orbs from killing people and get general experience like the Bowerstone Hero did, because he's killing people, they certainly had experiences like the people of Albion 50 years ago. That's why I figure the gauntlets are just a game mechanic piece, although I figured that if they were found instead of being readily available they might be something that "awakens" the hero's will potential... but, for convinience (and spell-weaving) purposes, you still have to equip them to use their powers.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412481 said:
Once again, you kinda mistake the experience for an actual physical thing - Experience is just a game mechanic that was applied for some reason chosen over the usual form of gaining experience/levelling. Otherwise, the Hero would get green experience orbs from killing people and get general experience like the Bowerstone Hero did, because he's killing people, they certainly had experiences like the people of Albion 50 years ago. That's why I figure the gauntlets are just a game mechanic piece, although I figured that if they were found instead of being readily available they might be something that "awakens" the hero's will potential... but, for convinience (and spell-weaving) purposes, you still have to equip them to use their powers.

We are talking about the same thing, just from a different perspective. Yes, that's what I mean, I didn't say you don't have to equip those or anything else.

You are just taking it more technically, when myself I'm just staying at the design, because nothing further has been revealed about the gauntlets mechanic, so I prefer to stay within the borders of design, rather than taking it technically from now.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412484 said:
We are talking about the same thing, just from a different perspective. Yes, that's what I mean, I didn't say you don't have to equip those or anything else.

You are just taking it more technically, when myself I'm just staying at the design, because nothing further has been revealed about the gauntlets mechanic, so I prefer to stay within the borders of design, rather than taking it technically from now.

Actually, I'm speaking technically AND design wise. I mean, in Fable 1 there was only green orbs. In Fable 2, there was green, yellow, blue, and red. These orbs represent experience that you gain from battle. There was no actual lore behind them, no stories, nothing beyond "Me kill man. Pretty green ball fall from man. Wow, I can suddenly speak much clearly and now hold the power of actually HOLDING the object in my hand infront of me to avoid a potentially life-threatenning injury!"

But yeah, not trying to be a jerk or anything - it's just experience itself is not much a lore thing as it is an element. It still exists, just now you don't suck it in magically and instead gain it as you fight, or from how many people are following you, or however this new confusing levelling system of theirs works.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412488 said:
Actually, I'm speaking technically AND design wise. I mean, in Fable 1 there was only green orbs. In Fable 2, there was green, yellow, blue, and red. These orbs represent experience that you gain from battle. There was no actual lore behind them, no stories, nothing beyond "Me kill man. Pretty green ball fall from man. Wow, I can suddenly speak much clearly and now hold the power of actually HOLDING the object in my hand infront of me to avoid a potentially life-threatenning injury!"

But yeah, not trying to be a jerk or anything - it's just experience itself is not much a lore thing as it is an element. It still exists, just now you don't suck it in magically and instead gain it as you fight, or from how many people are following you, or however this new confusing levelling system of theirs works.

It looks confusing because we haven't experienced the game-play yet. I'm sure everything will be more clear when you are in-game and you actually use the spells.

There's a lot that needs to be cleared, that's why I think it's better to wait for the release of Fable III in order to talk technically about the mechanics of the game.

We can only assume the various mechanics of the game, until we have got the controllers on our hands.

Bloodtom

Reaction score

DarkONI;412489 said:
It looks confusing because we haven't experienced the game-play yet. I'm sure everything will be more clear when you are in-game and you actually use the spells.

There's a lot that needs to be cleared, that's why I think it's better to wait for the release of Fable III in order to talk technically about the mechanics of the game.

We can only assume the various mechanics of the game, until we have got the controllers on our hands.

Maybe, but what I read seems really clear cut, and the idea that everytime I throw a fireball another wrinkle pops up on my face just sounds like I won't get to use one of my favorite combat methods unless I want my character to turn into an old man/woman.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Bloodtom;412457 said:
There is a levelling system, just no more experience absorption - your characters change as they fight, according to what I read. Melee users grow more muscular, ranged fighters grow taller, and will users age prematurely.

This was an idea taken from one of the very early concepts of the first Fable title while it was still only known as Project Ego. The idea was dropped back then but it looked like a great system at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.