• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

World of Warcraft anyone?

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score
Re: World of Warcraft anyone?

Precisely!
Indeed, but WoW does affect you personally, doesn't matter whether it's positive or negative - it just affects some people.
But as for that, it is something which doesn't overcome to all players.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

I played a little bit then stopped, Blizzard are AWESOME storytellers, but then WoW came out and now you are killing every single character that made the series great. Is it just me or is Blizzard killing characters just cause they are popular? I mean alot of people loved Illidan and then in the Burning Crusade expansion you have to kill him? A CHARACTER YOU REALLY LIKE AND SO DO ALOT OF OTHERS AND THEY HAVE TO KILL HIM WITH THEIR OWN HANDS??? thats like asking for someone to kill Alucard.
I hope to God they dont kill Arthas in WoTLK.

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

balverinebard;231934 said:
I played a little bit then stopped, Blizzard are AWESOME storytellers, but then WoW came out and now you are killing every single character that made the series great. Is it just me or is Blizzard killing characters just cause they are popular? I mean alot of people loved Illidan and then in the Burning Crusade expansion you have to kill him? A CHARACTER YOU REALLY LIKE AND SO DO ALOT OF OTHERS AND THEY HAVE TO KILL HIM WITH THEIR OWN HANDS??? thats like asking for someone to kill Alucard.
I hope to God they dont kill Arthas in WoTLK.

I've seen people say about this quite frequently, but in seriousness what game doesn't have a big bad who dies eventually? Personally I feel its natural progression for the lore and the story-lines, I think in Wrath their running out of uber evils though so they are possibly introducing more new factions and stuff to allow them to expand things a bit more- lots of dragons and stuff and possibly titans being introduced. Only real qualm I have with killing major characters like Arthas and Illidan is that in all seriousness could 25 normal heroes within Azeroth actually do that. At its core WoW is an rpg so I think your suppose to place yourself in the world itself and as an ally or a hordie people like Arthas and Illidan pose a significant threat to your chosen faction meaning they need to be taken out. It does suck to see such great and legendary villains go down so I do empathize with you on that but from an rp perspective I see how its logical and it works.

Lionheart, to my knowledge its only a very small amount of people who would consider themselves addicted and in truth if anybody feels like its consuming them and they cant limit or control their playtime then it probably is best they just quit outright and that shows some level of control in itself. Just sometimes I find it a bit of a pawn off that a lot of people try to blame their personal issues and problems on a game. Lol, did you see the case of the guy in America in prison for fraud and robbery I think- he's suing Blizzard by saying they got him addicted to WoW, made him live in a fantasy world and as such he didn't get a job because of this which therefore made him resort to theft and fraud.

Arld

WTB Deus Ex 3
Reaction score

weirdkidinabox;232056 said:
Lionheart, to my knowledge its only a very small amount of people who would consider themselves addicted and in truth if anybody feels like its consuming them and they cant limit or control their playtime then it probably is best they just quit outright and that shows some level of control in itself.
That's correct. For instance, people who didn't pass their last year of School/High School/College/Uni because of WoW, don't you think it's... nothing they could do about it?

Just sometimes I find it a bit of a pawn off that a lot of people try to blame their personal issues and problems on a game.
Agreed with you.

Lol, did you see the case of the guy in America in prison for fraud and robbery I think- he's suing Blizzard by saying they got him addicted to WoW, made him live in a fantasy world and as such he didn't get a job because of this which therefore made him resort to theft and fraud.
Lol, I didn't read about that. If there's still a newsthread or vid about it, could you pretty please link it? ;)

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

weirdkidinabox your kinda right, but seriously Illidan wasnt a villain until they decided to let you go kill him, he was actually a hero but the way he accomplished his heroic deeds got his banished. if it wasnt for him the Burning Legion would have won, and he almost destroyed the Lich King in the WC3 expansion pack...
and The Lich King was a important baddy, i mean you kill archimonde in WC3 and thats a good storyline twist and a good defeats evil scenario but without arthas WoW wouldnt exist and neither would WC3 or its expansion...

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Lionheart77;232091 said:
That's correct. For instance, people who didn't pass their last year of School/High School/College/Uni because of WoW, don't you think it's... nothing they could do about it?

I don't believe there is nothing they could have done- one would hope that most people would have the common sense to acknowledge and tackle a problem with their grades/lifestyle as early as possible instead of letting them slide for long enough to fail an entire year, I suppose thats easier said than done in some cases, some may simply refuse or not want to acknowledge problems because they find it easier to spend their time in a virtual world where these problems don't exist and can be easily pushed to the back of their mind. There's always that element of escapism and immersion there which is the big factor in addiction.

Basically what it comes to, in my view is- if you're addicted to something, or have quit, you cannot continue to blame the substance/game because your denying your own responsibility and part in that addiction. Yes its an absorbing game, too absorbing at times but both the game and the persons personality both play factors in the situation. I don't blame cigarettes for me being addicted to smoking, sure they have addictive properties physically but it was my choice to smoke to the point of addiction and not do anything about it.

Heres that link btw, rather amusing:
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/9162-man-sues-blizzard-for-taking-over-his-brain/

@Baverinebard- Yeah Illidan was full blown good way back when but he became corrupted through jealously, love and a seemingly unquenchable thirst to be better than his brother if I recall. He dabbled with the Burning Legion and surely that was why he trying to take down Arthas in W3 and because he failed he was going to face the wrath of Kil'jaeden I believe, which is why he fled to Outland. At least I think thats about right, correct me if I am wrong on that tbh ><

I don't really see it as a case of- the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Every story has a beginning, a middle and an end. It was unfeasible that Arthas would just sit in Northrend, sooner or later he was bound to have another shot at domination. The stories of fallen heroes always get me really intrigued and Arthas is a prime example of that, corrupted in his quest to save the people he cared about so much and ending up wanting to wipe them off the face of the planet. I cant wait for the book coming out next year and it will be a shame to kill him, but all good things must come to an end unfortunately.

:'( Hold me :unsure:

S

shampoomuffin

just dont lose your life to it, my friend has a 70 of every class, and like five 60's
so be carefull, lol i almost lost my life to it

squidcheez

Reaction score

Ya thats why the 360 was invented. To play games that dont have graphics that look like a **** stain and games that wont make u play 48 hours and then commit suicide cuz u died.

S

shampoomuffin

also my friend just hit 80 on his main character and has a 70 of each class (theres 10 classes) if your wondering he has spent probably 2 months of playing time on that game