• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Yet another Fable IV Idea/Wishlist

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score
Salutations everyone, Rheckameohs here. It's been a while I've posted here, so if you don't remember me, that's fine. I've spent some time reading the other assorted idea threads and wishlists, and I decided, "why not share my own?" So, that's what I'm doing.

Keep in mind that I'm one of those peculiar fans that actually enjoys the new setting, so that's what I'm basing this on. If that's not your cup of tea...well, you're missing out, if you ask me!

Story Overview
The story of Fable IV picks up fifty to seventy-five years after the end of Fable III. Regardless of the kingdom's condition at the end of that game, Albion has continued advancing culturally and technologically. Steam and industry are just as widespread, if not more so, but the corruption seen in Fable III has long since dwindled as great strides are taken in civil rights.

The monarchy of old has also evolved, with the king no longer holding absolute power over his subjects. In recent times, a parliamentary system of elected officials has developed, and they act as advisers to the king, and can vote to overrule his decisions and decrees. Under this new leadership, Albion has abandoned its isolationist ways, emerging suddenly into the world theater and gaining quite a degree of notoriety.

However, not all are pleased with Albion. Strathayne, a nation far to the west of Albion's shores, was never too fond of the tiny kingdom. Strathayne was a state that earned its way in the world through diplomacy and - in some cases - war. The fact that this small, new face has garnered such a presence in world affairs is a great offense. Diplomatic conflict served only to push Strathayne and Albion further and further apart, and a bitter hostility rose between them.

Deep within the mountains of Strathayne, miners uncovered something...incredible. An immense construct, larger than any they had ever seen, had been hiding beneath their very feet. For years, Strathayne's top scholars poured over the structure, seeking to learn its secrets. What they discovered was startling, but intriguing.

This construct, this Monolith, was an Old Kingdom weapon. They knew not how it worked, but the ruling parties of Strathayne had something sinister in mind. If they could not operate it normally, they would bend its will to their own through technology.

On a day like any other in Bowerstone, the people of Albion's capital scurried about their lives in blissful ignorance. As the sun settled in the horizon, a fleet of Strathayne's war ships approached and promptly began shelling the city. They were met by Albion's own navy, and a great oceanic battle took place. Just as the smoke began to clear, an enormous black mass materialized above Bowerstone. A light plumed inside, and from within a ray of malice shone. There was a burst of light, that faded.

In a matter of moments, Bowerstone was leveled.

Content with their victory, the Strathayne ships retreated, and the Monolith disappeared from sight. The survivors of Bowerstone were filled with fear and anger.

It has been ten years since that attack. Strathayne has begun a crusade, intent on world domination. Albion has since recovered, but not a single citizen doesn't wish to see Strathayne burn. They yearn for revenge, but in order to attain it, they will need a weapon of their own. Something to combat Strathayne's ill-gotten Monolith.

It needs a Hero.

The Hero
The Hero of Fable IV begins the game as a young boy or girl in Bowerstone Old Quarter. It's your mother's birthday, and your father has tasked you and your younger sister to put your heads together and buy her a present. By completing various tasks, the two of you finally earn enough money to buy her a puppy.

As you return home, Bowerstone is suddenly attacked, and soldiers flood the streets, capturing and executing those unfortunate enough to get caught. Unfortunately, they discover the Hero, but just as they are about to capture you, you're suddenly overcome with Will and kill them. You faint afterward, and were it not for the sudden appearance of a mysterious cloaked woman, you would have died.

Ten years later, you've enlisted in Albion's military, but upon discovering your status as a Hero, you are removed from the enlisted ranks and made into an agent of the Crown. As the story progresses, you perform various tasks for your superiors, as well as Theresa herself.

Customization
As in previous Fable games, you have the ability to customize your Hero, starting with their sex. From there, you can choose from a variety of different hair styles, clothes, jewelry, makeup, tattoos, and more. Your morality also comes into play, affecting not only your appearance, but also dialogue and more.

There are two factors that contribute to your morality: your good/evil alignment, as well as your attitude. By performing crimes and acts of evil, you push yourself further down the path of darkness, causing your skin to become a ghastly pale, your eyes to become black and sunken in. Crows are naturally attracted to you as well. Acts of benevolence, such as saving villagers from renegades or turning in criminals, will cause your skin to adopt a golden hue, and your eyes will turn the brightest shade of blue. Doves flutter about you, and the faintest hint of a halo can be seen.

Your attitude can be either polite, joking, or rude. Selecting polite options will cause your hero to maintain impeccable hygiene, and will cause him or her to remain pleasant and levelheaded in conversation. Joking options will cause your Hero to become more charming and humorous, and he or she will frequently make jokes and witty comments during dialogue. Rude options adversely effect your hygiene, as well as make your Hero a little more crude and blunt in conversation.

Weapons and Spells
As always, your Hero will use a number of spells and weapons in combat. Melee weapons and ranged weapons contribute your Strength and Skill, while spells contribute to your proficiency in the powers of Will.

Melee weapons consist of one- and two-handed swords, axes, and maces, as well as two-handed hammers and halberds. Using one-handed melee weapons will cause your Hero to become more lithe and agile, while heavier weapons cause them to bulk up. Ranged weapons consist of pistols, one- and two-handed crossbows, rifles, and shotguns. Using such weapons will cause your Hero to grow taller.

Melee weapons also come in tiers: iron, steel, masterwork, and legendary. Weapons in higher tiers generally inflict more damage, and some come with augmentation slots. Legendary weapons are something of an exception, as they may not necessarily be as strong as normal weapons, but often have augmentations that greatly increase their value. In addition, weapons can also come from different manufacturers, which can slightly affect attack power and speed, but are mostly aesthetic.

Spells come in two varieties: personal spells, and offensive spells. Personal spells consist of healing and shielding magic, as well as spells that grant certain buffs for a short time, i.e. Berserker. Summon is also classified as a personal spell. Offensive spells are pretty self-explanatory, consisting of abilities like Fireball, Shock, and Blades. As in Fable III, spells can be combined, but only if they are in the same school.

Phew, that's a little long-winded, isn't it? But that's what I have so far. Feel free to talk about it or pick it apart, I love seeing what other people think.

Anvos

Reaction score
Interesting, but 2 things

1. Fable the Journey is already 50 years past Fable 4 so 50-75 is probably too short

2. (spoilers I've seen for Fable the Journey warning)

-----------
------------
------------
------------
------------

First the Spire pretty much was the Old Kingdom's greatest weapon, or maybe the Sword of Aeons, but since that's back in the void I'm not counting it.

Second the Spire is supposed to be used at the end of Fable the Journey to stop the shadow being called the Corrupter (who is the one who controlled the Crawler) from entering Albion. We however don't know what the fallout was in this age of weakened will.

Rheckameohs

A Pretty Cool Guy
Reaction score
The Monolith is intended to predate the Spire, and isn't nearly as destructive. Whereas the Spire was capable of wiping out an entore civilization (as it was used by the last Archon), the Monolith has an effective radius of only a few miles.

Also, I was unaware that Fable: The Journey was set after Fable 3. I figured with Theresa being so much younger it would have been set before Fable 2.

Sounds a little shaky to me.

Aniratak

Reaction score
Nicely done! I always love to read others stories for Fable 4 =)

I would love to go back in time again though.. For me it feels as though the era is too much close to modern days. I want to go back to Fable 2-days. But I hear there is no room for a new story there.

I also loved Aurora.. I hope there will be a much bigger map in Fable 4. More "open world" and being able to go where ever you want when ever.. But that they keep the Fable atmosphere. I hope they add more cities and more stuff to explore, and that you have to travel to new places (Like with Aurora in Fable 3). I also hope that you are able to buy houses and boost the ecomemy in a town or a place.. So that when you come back they have developed, and that you can see positive (negative) changes. In Fable 3, even though you bought all the houses and gathered all the money you could find, the people still suffered and were poor. I was hoping for a feature where you can improve economy and see the impact that makes on a city.

When it comes to what the story should be about, I haven't come that far yet. I guess I liked the way the story was presented in Fable 2 better then Fable 3. In F3 they took the control away from you a bit too much (with all the cutscenes).