• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Better magic system please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willstopher

Reaction score
Better magic system please!!!

One of the things that annoyed me most about fable 2, was the terrible magic system. I could never actually use my level 5 spells because they took FIVE MINUTES to charge up. That's really annoying. And yes, i know, there kinda has to be some draw-back for using magic, but they could do something like...limited mana supply or something. I just want magic to be more accessible, that's all. And i know that some people really liked it, and I'm not trying to insult you or anything. So please comment and leave your thoughts. Thanks.

Galaphile G77

Reaction score
Re: Better magic system please!!!

I agree. I find it frustrating that there's no simple way to follow up a level 5 spell with another level 5 spell of different type.

Willstopher

Reaction score

i basically found myself relying on melee attacks to get the job done.

GaEv

Reaction score

Willstopher;327246 said:
FIVE MINUTES to charge up.

Level five spells don't take that long.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

GaEv;327383 said:
Level five spells don't take that long.

I imagine it was just an exaggeration.

I agree that the will system could improve, and charging up spells is annoying, but i don't really mind it as much as others might. I think in fable 3, they should bring back the mana bar and will potions for the people who can't stand fable 2's magic system, but also put in some spells that take less mana, but require charging for the people who liked it.

Willstopher

Reaction score

mana bar is a great idea

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

it's not so much an idea, it'd just be bringing something back from fable 1

Chicken Chaser

Chicken Chaser
Premium
Reaction score

If you upgrade alot of spells charge times take less,
and equip your dog with the coller of the holy sky.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

one thing that i did like about fable 2's magic system, however, is giving each spell a targeted attack and a surround attack. i think they should definitely keep that part of it instead of separating them into 2 spells (e.g. turning inferno back into enflame and fireball)

Cain

Reaction score

I love the spell system from fable 2. The spells in fable I only used on large groups of enemies but in fable 2 I find using the spells fun. I like turning enemies into charred skeletons.

Willstopher

Reaction score

even with the collar of the holy sky and having all my spells maxed...it still takes an annoyingly long time to charge up my level 5 spells. In the time that i used to charge up a level 5, i could have killed all the enemies with my master hammer. The magic is really cool but also extremely inconvienient.

darkgardions

Reaction score

i liked in fable 1 that if u lvled up u wouldnt have to charge the spell that if u get a new lvl that u can just press the button to use the new spells instead of charging

A

Anon

Forgive me for my naivity, but the Collar of the Holy Sky doesn't actually do anything does it? I just tested my spells with it and without it and it made no discernable difference. The caption even says it's for magic using dogs and has no effect on non-magic using dogs. Not dogs with magic using owners...

On topic though I like the current magic system. Level Fives aren't that hard to use.
Lvl 1 Time Control
Lvl 3 Time Control
Lvl 5 Spell
Rinse and Repeat.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

It's clear that the Fable 1 Magic System > the Fable 2 Magic system, but I think they changed it because it was too easy to pwn in the original.

GaEv

Reaction score

For funsies I timed how much it took me to charge a fireball spell fully with a character who only knew inferno levels 1-5.

I timed it twice, first time 6 seconds, second time 5.

And when I fought the troll I had enough time inbetween its attacks to hit it with level four inferno (once again my character only knows inferno so I didn't use any time stopping stuff).

Taking away the mana bar made magic more competetive as a form of combat as with a mana bar you will always have to resort to physical attacks at some point

Though the original does of course win for variety of spells and while being able to cast weaker spells would help conserve mana since Fable 2 has no mana it is a moot point.

J

jeramy13

making the charges long are the whole negetive side to the magic system.
they should all together get rid of magick (A.K.A will) and just keep range and melee...
those are the only ones i use anyways...

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

I dont mind having to charge for more power, but what I think is lacking the abuility to quickly change what spell your using. Fable 1 could easily cycle though all your spells, whereas Fable 2 if you want to have access to multiple spells you have to have it at different charge levels. And even then you cant have access to all eight spells. which brings us to the fact that only having 8 spells is lame. true, its 8 spells with 2 affects, so you could say the game technicly has 16 spells, but thats a stretch. Fable 1 still had more spell affects. Fable 2 magic user cloths kinda suck to, will users robe isnt bad, but there should really be more.

T

Tomhap

there arent many magic clothes because: the world hasn't seen mages in a very very long time... for some reason some bandits/highwayman gained the assassin's rush ability... and garth can use magic becuase he studied it, and later was locked up in the spire which had a same-like influence on him like on the commandant.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

jeramy13;330105 said:
they should all together get rid of magick (A.K.A will) and just keep range and melee...

Will is the life force of heroes. Without it, there is no Fable at all. Taking Will away from Fable is like taking away the Force from Star Wars. It would ruin everything.

GaEv

Reaction score

jeramy13;330105 said:
making the charges long are the whole negetive side to the magic system.
those are the only ones i use anyways...

That is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.