• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Better magic system please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Re: Better magic system please!!!

Chicken Chaser;327458 said:
If you upgrade alot of spells charge times take less,
and equip your dog with the coller of the holy sky.

Anon;328302 said:
Forgive me for my naivity, but the Collar of the Holy Sky doesn't actually do anything does it? I just tested my spells with it and without it and it made no discernable difference. The caption even says it's for magic using dogs and has no effect on non-magic using dogs. Not dogs with magic using owners...

On topic though I like the current magic system. Level Fives aren't that hard to use.
Lvl 1 Time Control
Lvl 3 Time Control
Lvl 5 Spell
Rinse and Repeat.

Yeah, pretty sure none of the collars do anything. Just look different. After all, it only works on will-using dogs.

jeramy13;330105 said:
making the charges long are the whole negetive side to the magic system.
they should all together get rid of magick (A.K.A will) and just keep range and melee...
those are the only ones i use anyways...

God, no. Everyone isn't like you. Some people, like me, actually like using magic. And, yes, Will/magic is a very important part of Fable's feel, its universe, its whatever. Getting rid of it would make it a different game.

TJ Griffin;330119 said:
I dont mind having to charge for more power, but what I think is lacking the abuility to quickly change what spell your using. Fable 1 could easily cycle though all your spells, whereas Fable 2 if you want to have access to multiple spells you have to have it at different charge levels. And even then you cant have access to all eight spells. which brings us to the fact that only having 8 spells is lame. true, its 8 spells with 2 affects, so you could say the game technicly has 16 spells, but thats a stretch. Fable 1 still had more spell affects. Fable 2 magic user cloths kinda suck to, will users robe isnt bad, but there should really be more.

Yeah, both versions had their benefits. Spells were quicker to use in F1, and they were a bit easier to switch, but they were still a bit of a pain in the ass to change on the run. The mana bar annoyed me to no end. I did NOT like it at all. Mana-less Will powers were much less of a pain in the ass, and I thought that charged attacks worked pretty good to balance them with everything else.

They do, however, need more balancing. Eventually, Will becomes... not useless, but significantly less attractive. Later in the game, when you HAVE to charge the attack for a lot of enemies you become a target, and it's a lot easier to just sit there with, say, a Ghoul-augmented turret rifle, and hammer away at them until they're all dead and you regenerate any misisng health.

But yeah, I preferred the fewer spells. F1 had so many it was absurd. In F2 I still only used a few because, like I said, it was a bitch to switch them, but to use somebody else's example-- it was a lot easier to throw a fireball or summon a firestorm than to switch between fireball and enflame (unless I had them as two of my three primary spells, but whatever).

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

I still think that Fable 3's magic system should be somewhat of a hybrid between Fable 1 & 2's magic systems. Each spell could still have the targeted effect and the surround effect, but you could choose to charge your spell (which would use a tiny amount of mana, or none at all), or you could use it without charging for the same effect and same amount of damage, but this would drain your mana a lot. I also think that will potions that restore mana should be expensive, or hard to find, just so that the instant-use spell doesn't have an advantage over the charged spell.

Bennykelly

Antagonist
Reaction score

But Jaramy, thats your opinion against many,

I for one ... I really do enjoy using magic..

I found the current system is simple yet, delivers good entertainment to my liking...

One dislike i agree with you with is that there should not be a charge for magic, as when your in a fight your opponent gets to attack you etc damaging your health... thats a downside...

Hopefully... Just hopefully... doubt this will happen...

I hope they bring freezing spells in to the game, and also shortbows and longbows etc so you can far cast against your enemies...

Also different skill leveling ways... to make the game more interesting and harder...

I also find to stop people glitching and causing bugs in the game the game should be monitored weekly... and patched weekly...

my opinion..

also one more

I believe they should also make new dlc's each month for free ofc....

Possibly even introducing a subscribing for membership like 3$ per month or so....

There should definently be p2p and f2p... i have to admit and alot more player interaction

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

the magic system in fable wasn't bad, i mainly avoided it because the will lines looked god-aweful on my character. they should make that something that only shows on already finished tattoos and make it look a little more decent so you aren't forced to look like a freak show just because u like level 5 fire =(

HollowGuy

Reaction score

I love Magic in games, especially Fable 1 and 2, I found that a level 4 Area spell could be reached and casted faster than a Level 5, it seemed quicker to charge up two level 4 spells and just cast them, by which time the enemies are burning and dead/near dead.

There are some little tips and stratergies in Magic, i'm not saying noone notices that, but what I use somtimes is the Time control thing. I have my magic set up as a Fireball/lightning attack on the first one, then Time control on the second, and then Fireball/lightning on the other three

Just a little thing i'm putting in here, but if you charge the spell up in Area effect mode it charges faster, I began to use stratagies basically doing this: Charge in area effect, Target, cast.

I use the Time controll abillity to slow down enemies. Then if you Target whilst using the Time control abillity you rush away. Then begin charging your spell to level 4.

Also I noticed as a I got more and more spells, that I could charge them up alot faster, like at the beginning of the game, I was planning to play an Evil character, so I just killed Gaurds for about two hours to get alot of Will EXP, and I noticed other time the more spells I got the faster I could cast others, I'm not sure if its a wierd Placebo-y type effect on me, but it felt like that

Say you had Time controll 3, Lightning 4, Fireball 5 and the rest of the spells at 4 and 5, you can cast faster, say "You are more attuned to magic with the abillitys you hold", meh, I dont know.

But for Fable 3 I think features from both games should be taken, like being able to charge up a skill from Fable 2 etc

Its balanced compared to some games, in most games I found it that a Mage could spam a crappy Fire spell and hope to not get torn apart by a Warrior, also the fact that Armour isnt involved in this game makes the mage class equal to others in defense.

I'd have more spells in the game personally because I am a Magic-nut in RPGs =P

P.S A level 5 Spell is POWERFULL, so, if you can survive long enough to cast its going to mostly kill everyone within range, its sacrifice I guess to just wipe everything out

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score

i think there should be SOME changes for the fable 2 magic stuff. For one more creative spells, 2 keep the charging. BUT! have an extra level that makes the charging faster . So a 5 star magic charging level is like lightning fast

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Little_Sparrow;331511 said:
have an extra level that makes the charging faster . So a 5 star magic charging level is like lightning fast

That would be too cheap.

Kewl Munky

Reaction score

In all honesty charging for spells like they have it is completely stupid. They should bring back the mana bar so there can be weak and strong spells, but also allow for you to do a mini charge to make that spell stronger but it also takes more mana.

One good thing they did was combine some spells. But they really need to bring back things like multi strike, berserker, and multi arrow.

Their excuse of why the magic system isn't as technical is that magic is going away. Um okay? Our character still uses it so why does that matter?

Skorm's Boss

Nasty Bugger
Reaction score

I miss some of the older spells, you know the evil one where you case the spell and your foe's souls were sucked into hell, you see that was fun!

HollowGuy

Reaction score

Yep, I admit I miss Bezerk and all the old ones. But I like that idea, of having a Mana bar and keeping the charge up spells. It'd be like...you use Mana to cast a spell really quick, but if you have no mana it takes a while to cast a spell, I dunno. But I miss the old spells from Fable.

Then again I DID find it annoying how I had to constantly down a ton of Magic potions to cast spells, but I guess Lionhead thought it'd be better without a mana bar...

I think I'd prefer the Mana bar aslong as you dont have to drink a potion every 10 seconds.

nstalaat

Never Knows Best
Reaction score

I think we need two basic types of spells
Offensive spells: these are cast instantly and use your will bar. they also consist of 3 main classes(lightning, Fire, frost)

Channeling spells: these spells require a long charge time which leaves the caster vulnerable to attack, but the end effect is much more rewarding. These spells generate a lasting effect that could be considered a "buff" and are usually physical or arcane (magically imbued sword, Stoneskin, invisibility, ect.)

My 2 cents worth.

Willstopher

Reaction score

yea, they should really bring back some of the spells from fable 1 that augmented your attack ability.

BaBy

Reaction score

apparently some "gauntlet" system is coming into play.. what, magic gloves!.. this isnt gardening its magic i miss letting rip lightning bolts from my bare hands... feeling in control... healing myself and weaving energy shields around myself if i was virtuous.
Or if i was evil breaking into a furious rage or draining the life energy of my opponents.. not having to charge up for hours while chaos and action is unfolding around me. I hate Fable 2's magic system but still admittedly loved the game. One of my favourite parts of the first fable was magic though and it ruined that.
Fable 3 needs a system that utilises "hotkeys" similiar to fable 1 so you dont have to "live" at the menu if you were a will user. And a large variety of spells that dont require charging up.

BaBy

Reaction score

Also the spell's power should be amplified by you're allignment. That would be good.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

You have necroposted. This thread is older than Jack of Blades himself, stop posting.

Hodoya

Reaction score

Anon;328302 said:
Forgive me for my naivity, but the Collar of the Holy Sky doesn't actually do anything does it? I just tested my spells with it and without it and it made no discernable difference. The caption even says it's for magic using dogs and has no effect on non-magic using dogs. Not dogs with magic using owners...

On topic though I like the current magic system. Level Fives aren't that hard to use.
Lvl 1 Time Control
Lvl 3 Time Control
Lvl 5 Spell
Rinse and Repeat.

im not sure about that collar. but if you use time control at lvl 3, you will always get your lvl 5 spells out.

mana system hate it. what they should do is what dragon age: origins did. by pushing the trigger you bring out a sub menu. you could choose what lvl spell to put for each of the corresponding buttons. if they want to delay the higher lvl spells they could make them take longer to actually perform. you could hold the button to choose specific targets or the surround option. with this option you could have a max of four lvl five spell. if that isnt enough for you then nothing is :p.

Hodoya

Reaction score

sorry for the late post. new member wanted to put my 5cents in :D

Skorm's Boss

Nasty Bugger
Reaction score

One thing to say,

Bring Back Vortex!

That is all.

Benjamin510

God of rose returness.
Reaction score

I liked the one in two. It felt like i was king of the world with fire rings of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.