• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3: Simultaneously fun and disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WUTBM

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan to me. At least then we won't have anyone to blame but ourselves if they make a crappy game.
Haha, that is true.
Either Fable 4 will be brilliant 'cause they finally listened to their fans or it will suck cause PM will get overindulgent....
I guess we'll have to wait :\

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Haha, that is true.
Either Fable 4 will be brilliant 'cause they finally listened to their fans or it will suck cause PM will get overindulgent....
I guess we'll have to wait :\

I'm not buying it. Fable III was the last straw for me. I'll just enjoy what I have for now.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
No last chance?

Fable III WAS their last chance. I mean, Fable II wasn't horrible and in fact, I actually enjoy it quite a bit but Fable III was so devastatingly disappointing that I honestly can't call myself a fan of the series anymore.

Mastperf

Reaction score
Lionhead needs to stop and watch Bioware to see how to pull off an exciting and interesting story from one game in the series to the next. Have our choices actually matter when transferred to the next game. It's easy to talk a big game about weapon morphing and consequences, but it's a whole different beast to actually back it up. Bioware managed to pull of an incredible sequel (with a story that didn't completely ignore the first game) while being bought out by EA.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Lionhead needs to stop and watch Bioware to see how to pull off an exciting and interesting story from one game in the series to the next. Have our choices actually matter when transferred to the next game. It's easy to talk a big game about weapon morphing and consequences, but it's a whole different beast to actually back it up. Bioware managed to pull of an incredible sequel (with a story that didn't completely ignore the first game) while being bought out by EA.

I don't think I've played a Bioware game in a while. What game are you referring to?

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Probably the best games I've ever played.

Just sayin.

Mastperf

Reaction score
Yes, very good games. The technical performance of the first can be pretty bad at times but the second is much better in that regard. They import your save from the first and people who didn't die will be there and those who did won't. The choices you made regarding the story will be mentioned in the sequel as well(unlike certain games that prefer to act like world changing events never happened) . The third is expected to import from both previous games and possibly affect the game in a pretty major way.
It's just a great job done by a developer who respects the story and it's fanbase. It's a shame others can't do the same..

Sir Robin

The Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot
Reaction score
After beating the game, there's nothing. Literally. That's a problem. It IS possible to have substance after endgame, without DLC, and there is decidedly none in Fable 3.

Lastly (and a tad on the random side), where are all the loose women in this game? For real, it seems everyone is either a saint or a prostitute (and there are what, like 4 of them, in the ENTIRE WORLD?). There IS a middle ground, you know.
"Not until we're married."
What the heck do you mean? Not only am I a fabulously wealthy king, I'm also practically a god compared to the rest of the world, and according to that little bar I'm RIDICULOUSLY sexy. I should be paying women NOT to want to have sex with me. Even mormon girls would be falling over themselves to get with something like that.

Well put, 0Jarlaxe0. The game truly is an utter, barren wasteland after you beat it. I've always loved the Fable series for its replay value, and all the things you can do besides the main quest. Yet I haven't even touched the game for three days now.

Instead I've installed Fable TLC, and you know what? After revisiting it, I can't think of a single blasted thing that Fable III improves upon over the very first game in the series that isn't merely technology-driven (graphics and physics). The story was longer and more epic, the interaction was more compelling, there were WAY more spells, multiple people could follow you, and without being dragged. Fable II's expression wheel, addition of villager personalities, the dog, and female heroes took the series to its apex. And it's only fallen from there.

And seriously, where my hoes at??? I found like one woman who was "flirty" (which apparently means "down to be dragged by the hand into a randomly-selected house and shagged on the spot"). Everyone else wants to wait until they're married. Sorry ladies, there's an infinite amount sex juice pent up in these loins, but only finite space in my heart.

MaleficRaven

Reaction score
Yes, very good games. The technical performance of the first can be pretty bad at times but the second is much better in that regard. They import your save from the first and people who didn't die will be there and those who did won't. The choices you made regarding the story will be mentioned in the sequel as well(unlike certain games that prefer to act like world changing events never happened) . The third is expected to import from both previous games and possibly affect the game in a pretty major way.
It's just a great job done by a developer who respects the story and it's fanbase. It's a shame others can't do the same..

Wait... a company that actually cares about its fans?! No way! I refuse to believe they exist!

Well put, 0Jarlaxe0. The game truly is an utter, barren wasteland after you beat it. I've always loved the Fable series for its replay value, and all the things you can do besides the main quest. Yet I haven't even touched the game for three days now.

Instead I've installed Fable TLC, and you know what? After revisiting it, I can't think of a single blasted thing that Fable III improves upon over the very first game in the series that isn't merely technology-driven (graphics and physics). The story was longer and more epic, the interaction was more compelling, there were WAY more spells, multiple people could follow you, and without being dragged. Fable II's expression wheel, addition of villager personalities, the dog, and female heroes took the series to its apex. And it's only fallen from there.

And seriously, where my hoes at??? I found like one woman who was "flirty" (which apparently means "down to be dragged by the hand into a randomly-selected house and shagged on the spot"). Everyone else wants to wait until they're married. Sorry ladies, there's an infinite amount sex juice pent up in these loins, but only finite space in my heart.

Agreed. Makes you wonder just how many of these people bothered to even play the original, eh? I mean, I can enjoy Fable - The Lost Chapters all day, every day and it has so much variety to it. Sure, I can't dye my clothes or my hair but at least my hero doesn't look ridiculous (unless I make him so) and the Will aspect of combat is fun and exciting and goes beyond casting what is essentially the same spell(s) over and over again. The expression wheel and the personalities were great but the dog was only good in theory. He's a bit of a pain in the ass when you actually deal with him. Still, it was nice to have a companion by your side who would not only fight with you but help you find things too.

I've noticed this too. I'm not even sure how to proposition them for sex... I guess I have to build up our relationship meter or something? Seems lame considering how long that takes coupled with the fact that I have to quest every time they go up a level.

currupted

Reaction score
i dont know what everyones complaining about fable 3 seemed fine to me.

0Jarlaxle0

Reaction score
Yeah, we should totally just wait and hope they see some of our negative opinions. Good idea, mate.

I believe there's a thirty day, money-back guarantee but I think that only applies to games that aren't opened.

Man, you're an "up" person, aren't ya? This is what I'm talking about. Unless you get thousands upon thousands of people to sign this "petition", Lionhead's gonna take one look at it (if even that) and go "Aww, that's cute. Anyways, Fable 4..."

I'm not submissive, apathetic, or pessimistic. I'm realistic. I like cupcakes, and I like muffins. If I ask for a cupcake, but the "cupcake machine" (just roll with me here) is busted so they give me a muffin, I'm gonna suck it up and eat the damn muffin, or get my money back. No amount of whining, complaining, or screaming is going to get me a cupcake, so why waste my time and energy, when I can just enjoy the muffin and hope the cupcake machine is working next time?

Well, THAT analogy was certainly awkward, wasn't it? Whatever, you get my point.

Is it what I wanted/expected? Not exactly. Was I able to look past that and enjoy it for the most part anyway? Sure. That's the key to enjoying gaming (and pretty much life in general, actually).

Games are not cars. Just because you buy it doesn't mean you get to customize it exactly the way you want. Saying you paid money for something like a game so the developers should have made it exactly the way you wanted is like calling an author and saying "Hey the book was alright, but not what I expected. Since I paid for it could you go back and completely rewrite chapters 7-12? They kinda sucked and that's not what I paid for."

0Jarlaxle0

Reaction score
Microsoft paid Lionhead to make Fable 3 for the fans, not to please the employees at Lionhead. My $80.00 I paid means Lionhead does indeed owe me something.

I'm willing to wager my entire (and not inconsiderable) bank account on Microsoft paying Lionhead to make Fable 3 to get more money in Microsoft's own bank account. I'm also willing to wager my college fund on nobody at Microsoft ever admitting that fact openly. At least not without a lot of "but this, but that"s attached to make it sound less D-bagish. Business, man. It's all business.

All they owed you for your $80 was a box that has the words "Fable 3" somewhere on it, with a disc inside that has something resembling a game written on it. Whether or not you like it becomes "not their problem" the moment you exchange your green paper for it at the register. Especially if the rest of the world continues to buy it, regardless of what us few, obscure internet critics say.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
Actually, I'm gonna go against the flow here and hope that Lionhead does not listen to the fans. They actually did listen to some fans before making Fable 3. The result was this quote by Peter Molyneux:
"More than half the people that played Fable II understood and used less than half the features in the game," Molyneux says, recalling an eye-opening piece of research that changed his whole approach to the sequel. "

You can find the whole interview here. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fable-iii-x10-preview

And then this:
What was the point at which you realised you wanted to get rid of experience?
The absolute main reason is that most people didn’t understand it. We had red experience, green experience, blue experience… These went into pools… You’d ask people “how do you get red experience” and they’d say “I don’t know, sometimes it’s red, sometimes it’s green, sometimes it’s blue.” You know, that’s wrong; it’s just wrong.

http://projectego.net/822/question-answer-session-peter-molyneux.html

So yeah, Lionhead did listen to the fans. The retarded ones!

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
No, Peter Molyneux is just an idiot with far too many ideas.

I wonder how Fable would go if he wasn't a part of it? Say he got fired from Lionhead tomorrow, and they started work on Fable IV. Interesting question, Arse.... *pats self on back*

Status
Not open for further replies.