• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Never played Fable I!

Hector

Reaction score
I've only played Fable II and III. I didn't have an XBOX back then. Will I enjoy Fable I if I bought it or is it going to feel REALLY outdated. I mean I can still go back and play Psychonauts and some other older games that dont feel that old.

handsdown65

A Smart Fella
Reaction score
You'll enjoy it, in some ways it's better than 2 and 3, less features but a much better story and more enjoyable game, IMO

Juju

Reaction score
thats about it its worth getting but feels more old fasioned

Yourtey

Reaction score
just in case you havnt made your mind up yet...
yes.
Fable TLC > Fable 2 > Fable 3

Rukishou

Ruler of All
Premium
Reaction score
I was going to replay it a while ago, but to be honest it actually did feel a little outdated. It might just have been the release of Fable III being just around the corner, but I didn't feel very psyched to play...

Don't get me wrong though, Fable (preferably The Lost Chapters) is a great game and you should definitely play it at least once. I've already played it more than ten times!

onwingsoflead

Reaction score
Ah man, how could you not play the original fable before II and III :p
Oh well, it's not that big of a deal, but I think that it would be a good thing to do (if you wanna kill some time) it has a brilliant story and is overall a good game.

Harkane

Reaction score
You should get it, i have it for the xbox and the PC, and It's really good. I think it will also make the other games make more sence.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
100% worth it. I think it's better in almost every regard than its sequels.

The Gray Fox

The Thief
Reaction score
My sister did always want Fable but never bought it. She also saw Fable II which she also wanted.
Then, accidentally we found Fable II really cheap and whit all the DLC's so we bought it. Then we did figure out that Fable III was on the way and I bought that and we loved both games!

And as you can see. I haven't played Fable I.
But about a week ago we (again) accidentally found Fable I : The Lost Chapters cheap for PC (Well, old games are often cheap) and bought it.

So now I have all the games except: I don't got a PC that can run games... (DOH!)
So I can't play Fable I, and certainly can't in about a few months! x(

Relinquished Reality

Mutilation for Cats!
Reaction score
You dont really need Fable 1 to understand fable 2 and 3, but it very fun and it is very recommended, but there are no guns. Hope that doesnt turn you off.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
Fable is good, don't get me wrong, but it is showing its age. It was clearly Lionhead's first attempt. I just recently started replaying it and it feels as if the narrative is rushed as compared to the other two.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Really? That seems to completely go against what most people here (including myself) think. What specifically makes you feel that way?

SebClem

Reaction score
ah - i didn't play the first game... I bought it but didn't think that a 360 can't play old xbox games.

The only problem is... jack of blades, the whole hero thing, I've missed out on alot of the background and folklore behing albion...

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Almost none of the lore is shared between games, so you're pretty safe if you start playing Fable TLC.

And the 360 can play most Xbox original games, just check to make sure they're supported. I'm pretty sure Fable is supported though.

Mattra

Reaction score
I personally love it, it's only second to Fable 3 right now :)
Though the opening scenes before you can adventure on your own takes forever to get through >.>

SebClem

Reaction score
ah buying it off live! Didnt think of that.
I guess there's quite a jump from fable 1 to 2. LIke 500 years or something so theres probably not masses that continues. The whole jack of blades and William Black I've managed to google to my satisfaction now!

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
I don't recommend buying it off Xbox Live, as that is only the original version. The Lost Chapters version has significantly more content.

Dead_Frozen

Blade Acolyte
Reaction score
I liked the first Fable better than the sequels... I don't know, I just didn't like the feel of the others. I think it may just be that I like the point of view in the First Fable, made me feel more in control of the Hero. I don't like looking down at my hero, I like looking straight ahead so I feel like I'm seeing exactly what He/she is seeing.

Khalin

Reaction score
I've only played Fable II and III. I didn't have an XBOX back then. Will I enjoy Fable I if I bought it or is it going to feel REALLY outdated. I mean I can still go back and play Psychonauts and some other older games that dont feel that old.
I actually do strongly recommend you acquire Fable: TLC somehow. It's definitely worth playing through, and I believe most people here will agree that it's arguably the best game in the Fable series so far. It's a lot more simple than Fable II and Fable III, but I think its simplistic nature adds to its charm. The game also had a simple story, but it was was very fun. You'll probably notice that most people who've played it on these forums have replayed it several times over. If you do decide to play it, make sure you keep an open mind and try to avoid judging it based on its more modern successors. Even by the standards of current games, Fable: TLC graphics are still fine, and it's a large enough world to where you won't feel cramped or anything.

Oh and, no STD's either - you can marry as many guys and girls as you want, and squirt it up in the whorehouse without consequence. Nothing better than that eh? Don't expect much from the sex scenes though...

I was going to replay it a while ago, but to be honest it actually did feel a little outdated. It might just have been the release of Fable III being just around the corner, but I didn't feel very psyched to play...

Don't get me wrong though, Fable (preferably The Lost Chapters) is a great game and you should definitely play it at least once. I've already played it more than ten times!
Well if you've played it ten times, you've probably satisfied all of your desires to play the game, so playing it another time doesn't seem as appealing anymore. It's like having too many orgasms during sex... after the 6th or 7th orgasm, that's usually enough and you wanna just relax. I've played Fable: TLC a lot myself, maybe about ten playthroughs or so, like you. Definitely a fun game. And it's true that being in the shadow of a sequel that you're anticipating can make it seem less... glorious.