• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Animal Rights Activists: paragons or menaces to society?

Hermit

Boy next door
Reaction score
First of all: How do you know what goes through an animal's mind as it's in line to be killed? I'm also sure you realise that not every abattoir, particularly in third world countries or cultures where the animal has to be killed in a certain way, would treat their animals humanely. It's been a big deal in Australia recently that some of our cattle were being sold to Indonesian abattoirs where they would torture the animals for no reason before killing them.

Second: If someone was going to kill and eat you, even if you knew you weren't going to feel any fear or pain, would you be happy to let it happen? It's about more than mistreating animals for me, it's about basic respect for life.

I don't mean to sound preachy when I'm saying this, it's completely my opinion. You guys can do what you want. Just sharing my thoughts.

The fear and pain gives it extra flavor.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
No we don't know what goes on in their minds but we can measure stress and such to give us a pretty good picture of what they go through. Also, I'm not sure about you second point; I only eat Swedish meat that was not tortured to death but killed in an instant. That your country sells livestock to some effed up place doesn't burden my concience.

Respect for life? Spin that tale by some orcas as they are ripping off and eating the tounge and fins of a baby whale and leaving it to die a horrible and slow death with the mother whale looking on helplessly. Kill or be killed. If the roles were reversed a cow would slaughter us without a second thought. Would you feel better if we just released the livestock in a field an beat them to death with sticks and stones? You know, the way humans (like the orcas) used to hunt in a more natural fashion? Somehow it seems a lot more cruel in comparison to slaughterhouses.

Pardon any spelling errors. iPhones aint got nothing on an avtual keyboard.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
No we don't know what goes on in their minds but we can measure stress and such to give us a pretty good picture of what they go through. Also, I'm not sure about you second point; I only eat Swedish meat that was not tortured to death but killed in an instant. That your country sells livestock to some effed up place doesn't burden my concience.

My point is really you don't know whether the animal was treated humanely or not unless you killed it yourself.

Respect for life? Spin that tale by some orcas as they are ripping off and eating the tounge and fins of a baby whale and leaving it to die a horrible and slow death with the mother whale looking on helplessly. Kill or be killed. If the roles were reversed a cow would slaughter us without a second thought. Would you feel better if we just released the livestock in a field an beat them to death with sticks and stones? You know, the way humans (like the orcas) used to hunt in a more natural fashion? Somehow it seems a lot more cruel in comparison to slaughterhouses.

Comparing humans and creatures of lesser intelligence is also a good way of justifying killing your siblings so you don't have to compete with them, or practising sexual cannibalism. Animals are instinctive. Humans are gifted with intellect, and I'd prefer to respect all life, rather than just arbitrarily picking and choosing which forms of life I think are worth my time.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Comparing humans and creatures of lesser intelligence is also a good way of justifying killing your siblings so you don't have to compete with them, or practising sexual cannibalism. Animals are instinctive. Humans are gifted with intellect, and I'd prefer to respect all life, rather than just arbitrarily picking and choosing which forms of life I think are worth my time.
Humans having greater intellect does not remove their natural instincts. Just saying :|.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Humans having greater intellect does not remove their natural instincts. Just saying :|.

No, but it doesn't bind us to them. We have the capacity to think before we act, and the choice to ignore our instincts. Animals don't.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
No, but it doesn't bind us to them. We have the capacity to think before we act, and the choice to ignore our instincts. Animals don't.
We are animals. Yes, we can supress our instincts, but they will always be there.

Hermit

Boy next door
Reaction score
What's more cruel? Swiftly ending the life of an animal, or constantly cutting off parts of a poor little plant so you can eat them while the plant watches helplessly, stuck in an endless cycle of HAVING LARGE CHUNKS CUT OFF

You vegetarians and your sick, sadistic torturing of innocent plants DISGUST ME.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Also, cows and other farm animals pollute due to all the methane they fart out. Plants, on the other hand, helps out by producing oxygen.

So save the earth; eat a cow and leave that plant alone!

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
We are animals. Yes, we can supress our instincts, but they will always be there.

Yeah, but that wasn't really my point.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Starting to think Amon may have been the guy I saw doing naughty things to my cabbages growing in the garden. F*cker got away though.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Starting to think Amon may have been the guy I saw doing naughty things to my cabbages growing in the garden. F*cker got away though.
That's just sick.

Now gentlemen - if you don't mind I've got a date with an alligator. Good day!

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
stop-clubbing-baby-seals.jpg

Reaction score
The perfect solution for the animal testing issue would be if we could clone animals or even human bodies but with their self awareness conveniently edited out before they are born, so basically they have all the biology but they're born brain dead, feeling no pain completely unaware of the tests and experiments performed on them.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
The perfect solution for the animal testing issue would be if we could clone animals or even human bodies but with their self awareness conveniently edited out before they are born, so basically they have all the biology but they're born brain dead, feeling no pain completely unaware of the tests and experiments performed on them.

Christian Mode Activated:

"But what about their souls?"

Reaction score

Damn it, and there I was thinking I had found the perfect solution. Can't please everyone I guess.

It'd probably be best to conduct it as a need to know basis project, at least until cures were found (sneaky yes, but somewhat justifiable) I wouldn't be surprised if they were conducting tests on living dummies already, even less surprised that it would be kept secret for reasons demonstrated in your comment.

Not necessarily what I believe the scientific community is up to right now, just speculative thought, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

We surgically remove the souls at birth.

Damn it, and there I was thinking I had found the perfect solution. Can't please everyone I guess.

It'd probably be best to conduct it as a need to know basis project, at least until cures were found (sneaky yes, but somewhat justifiable) I wouldn't be surprised if they were conducting tests on living dummies already, even less surprised that it would be kept secret for reasons demonstrated in your comment.

Not necessarily what I believe the scientific community is up to right now, just speculative thought, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

Noooo way man. Guys keep too much secrets. **** goes down because of secret keeping.