• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

British accent?

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
So, I have a question.

One of my "professors" (I think she's actually a grad student) is a Brit of some kind. And her accent is annoying as ****. Every sentence she says it... gets higher pitched throughout the sentence, like it's going to be a question, but then THE SENTENCE ISN'T A QUESTION.

...is this a thing? Or am I crazy? It's just, her accent is annoying as ****, and I want to know what part of Britain I need to annihilate to make sure I never have to put up with it again. It might also just be that the bitch's voice is really annoying and I'm mistaking it for her accent's fault.

Cause, really, she annoys the **** out of me even without this. I've completely lost patience for creative writing, and it's really hard not to plug my ears and start rocking back and forth while I sing "I don't give a ****."

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
My humanities prof is British and his accent in combination with his voice is sexy as hell. The class is literally twice as entertaining because of the occasional "bloody 'ell" and dry humor he adds into the lectures. He also drinks tea non stop in class from a giant thermos.

"Napoleon nearly dominated all of Europe. 'NEARLY' I repeat. He failed to conquer England! HA!" - My prof.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yeah, my first thought was of annoying American teenagers in films who are dizzy as hell and make everything sound like either it's all news to them or it's a question. Could be that's how this female of the species talks but rest assured, if she were residing in the UK and spoke like that, chances are she'd have been battered by now.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
You mean this?

Dont think its just the accent, haha.

Kinda, yeah.

Yeah, my first thought was of annoying American teenagers in films who are dizzy as hell and make everything sound like either it's all news to them or it's a question. Could be that's how this female of the species talks but rest assured, if she were residing in the UK and spoke like that, chances are she'd have been battered by now.

Kinda that, too, but more than anything she has this sort of... half-stoned, "oh, my, isn't literature wonderful" vibe. And her voice is barely inflected at all beyond her weird rising tone.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
But she seems much too uptight to be stoned.

Are British women really uptight when high?

Reaction score
Don't think tone of voice has anything to with accent, it's probably just her. In all my years of growing up in England, I've heared many strange accents but alas none of them had a rising tone to them.

You know you could just look her straight in the eyes ask her, she might stop doing it once she realises how daft she sounds.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I always thought it was US and Canada where everything sounds like a question, id say its more a general tone than a specific area accent. Its normally teachers of some kind who adopt that particular tone as I have noticed similar things.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Not a clue. Ask her if she's stoned and see what happens. Or just tell her she sounds dumb. Or, better yet, direct her here and I'll tell her. I am virtually a misogynist after all so it will be a fun distraction for me from every day life.

"Oi woman! You sound stupid - and not just because you're a woman, although that doesn't help the situation. Talk proper or stfu altogether"

Ought to straighten things out some. Just doing my bit for humanity and all.

This is my Albion

Reaction score
Maybe she's questioning herself. She's probably realised that this isn't the career she wants and that the stripper pole life is calling out to her, now she overcompensates by saying "isn't literature wonderful?" and hoping someone will ignite her passion for creative writing again.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
My younger sister talks like that, it's annoying as hell. I don't know where she picked it up from, but it gets worse when she constantly adds the words "like" and "ya know", and don't even get me started when she covers her mouth and goes "Oohhh my gaawwsh".

Makes me want to knock her over the head with a frying pan.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
That's adorable.

This is my Albion

Reaction score
My younger sister talks like that, it's annoying as hell. I don't know where she picked it up from, but it gets worse when she constantly adds the words "like" and "ya know", and don't even get me started when she covers her mouth and goes "Oohhh my gaawwsh".

Imagine if you actually did and then said to her (after she's regained consciousness and that is assuming you haven't been arrested yet.) "oh my gawsh, i just hit you with a frying pan, ya know?"

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score

I can answer this.

No. No they aren't.

Anyway, are they some accent besides English? Because my guess then is Irish.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Congratulations, your sister is an American stereotype.

Just go up to her Walker and ask her what part of the UK she's from.

"I'm Australian.:|"

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
True story, Queen, I once had a calc professor who I thought was a Brit until halfway through the semester when he was doing an example about population growth and said something like "and we'll use kookaburras because they're from Australia, like me!"

To the rest of you, I think I was happier blaming it on her Britishness. Otherwise she'd just a retarded twat.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Im surprised how many people confuse our accent with Australian, I got it all the time in Turkey. Walking past bars and people standing outside trying to tempt you to come in and greeting you with 'G'Day Mate', confused hell out of me for about 4 bars.

This is my Albion

Reaction score
Im surprised how many people confuse our accent with Australian, I got it all the time in Turkey. Walking past bars and people standing outside trying to tempt you to come in and greeting you with 'G'Day Mate', confused hell out of me for about 4 bars.

Try Egypt. They make me wish i was bloody Australian when they kept saying they're "as cheap as chips."

No joke

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
People always confuse my accent for being Irish. To be sure, my voice is rather animated so you can't blame them.