• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

British Humor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_352

Reaction score
Re: British Humor?

tjbyrum1;421066 said:
British Humor is featured in Fable, because it is British-made (I guess you can say), and because PM is British.

Now, being the person I am (unemotional, sadistic, pessimistic, etc...), I do not find it funny all the time. For example, flatulating in someone's face; ??? I do not find the humor in it, and not even the slightest giggle in me. I never use that expression anyway.

The only way to make me laugh, has to be stupid stuff. Beavis and Butthead.. random school people.

Do you think British Humor is funny?

British humour is very funny, us aussies are funnier though :lol:

Jack of Spade's

The Assassin
Reaction score

Matt_352;424879 said:
British humour is very funny, us aussies are funnier though :lol:

Never really heard of aussie humor

Matt_352

Reaction score

Jack of Spade's;424883 said:
Never really heard of aussie humor

Look up Carl Barron on youtube he's my fave aussie comedian

LyNxY yO

Reaction score

It's not British humor, i think it's just there to entertain those who believe that is the highest form of comedy.

Stuff like Mourningwood is more like British humor, as it's a play on words, and isn't too obviously and disgusting.. :/

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score

LyNxY yO;424911 said:
It's not British humor, i think it's just there to entertain those who believe that is the highest form of comedy.

Stuff like Mourningwood is more like British humor, as it's a play on words, and isn't too obviously and disgusting.. :/

Yeah and "Reavers Rear Passsage".

KickinChickens

KickinChickens
Reaction score

Haha, our humour is definitely awesome.

And farts? Man, you can deny it all you want, but they are actually hilarious. And so is Monty Python.

I love the humour in Fable 2, especially with the gargoyles - they always made me laugh. I felt guilty when I destroyed the last one; no more little Scottish voices insulting me :'(

enactment11

Chicken Rebel
Reaction score

Think...
Monty Python and the Knights of the Holy Grail.
Life of Brian.
Some of the best of Monty Python work ever. Never truly gets old.
I can imagine bandits with their legs chopped off saying: "Oh running away now are ye? CHICKEN! I'll bite your legs OFF!"

Nightwishes

Reaction score

The humour in fable 2 rules ! Mainly because it IS very British and I love it ^^ mainly because i am british but oh well >_< sometimes games can be way too serious and have american humour (i don't find it that funny) but fable is something different and unique :)

KickinChickens

KickinChickens
Reaction score

enactment11;425276 said:
Think...
Monty Python and the Knights of the Holy Grail.
Life of Brian.
Some of the best of Monty Python work ever. Never truly gets old.
I can imagine bandits with their legs chopped off saying: "Oh running away now are ye? CHICKEN! I'll bite your legs OFF!"

I still sob with laughter at that part in the film.

"Alright, we'll call it a draw!" :p

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

I love most of the humor in fable! there are 1 or 2 things I don't get on each game, but mostly it's great!

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

british humor at it's finest

[youtube]kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

british humour. watch monty python, maybe faulty towers (which is a bit slapstick), then make scathing remarks for extra fun. and *Tut Tut Tut* a lot (although that is more posh than necessary)

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
British Humor?

British Humor is featured in Fable, because it is British-made (I guess you can say), and because PM is British.

Now, being the person I am (unemotional, sadistic, pessimistic, etc...), I do not find it funny all the time. For example, flatulating in someone's face; ??? I do not find the humor in it, and not even the slightest giggle in me. I never use that expression anyway.

The only way to make me laugh, has to be stupid stuff. Beavis and Butthead.. random school people.

Do you think British Humor is funny?

I enjoy the "Monty Python" series, "The Benny Hill Show", and the British sitcom, "Last of the Summer Wine."

However, I did NOT like the majority of the 'humor' in Fable II.

People have said that Fable II is a game that does not take itself seriously; to me, that's a flaw, not something to celebrate.

I thoroughly enjoyed the original Fable; it had a great storyline, and some upbeat, FUNNY humor in it. For the most part, it took itself quite seriously and made the player feel important.

Fast forward to Fable II...

When I first started playing Fable II, I thought it was going to be an in-depth tale of Sparrow's vengeance, his righteous assault on Lucien and his cronies enhanced with legendary weapons and armor.

Not even close.

The first thing I would have been angered by is that no armor existed in Fable II, but I had been forewarned, so I didn't mind it so much. What did bother me was the comical descriptions of the starting weapons and of other items.

As I played through the story, I realized that most of the game was a joke. I loved the main storyline, but everything else seemed to be a mere caricature of Fable I.

My main point is, I like FUNNY humor. I like hilarity. I like side-splitting comedy. Fable II's brand of 'humor' just wasn't funny.

I don't know if they expected people to be laughing at the game or what, but even if they did, that's not a very good bar to set.

atlantiantokra

Reaction score
or for something more recent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

What did bother me was the comical descriptions of the starting weapons and of other items
Items descriptions and all those other bits of text that nearly nobody reads is one of the few places they can put humour into a game, although it would probably have worked better if only, say, a quarter of the items had funny descriptions

Jamie S. Rain

Wooflea Bird
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being British. It's a game, and its a fantasy based where things get exaggerated and
the world is a silly story, hence the name Fable.

Honestly, I wonder how you can talk about Fables' low sense of humor, when your idea of humor
is beavis and butthead.

Yeah, it might not be outrageously funny, or even funny at all, but I do enjoy the silly accents.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
WarpedHero, I hope you noticed that you revived a thread from beginning of last september. There are three months, and some days between in. =O Someone that joined back in 2008 should know that's not the best thing to do, right?
Still, if you're going to say that the first Fable's humor was better than that of Fable 2, I'd like you to explain why, rather than just saying it. :p
I for one didn't notice much of a difference in humor in all three of the games. To me, it had all its ups and downs. Somethings were hilarious, and some things not.

Cain

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with being British. It's a game, and its a fantasy based where things get exaggerated and
the world is a silly story, hence the name Fable.

Honestly, I wonder how you can talk about Fables' low sense of humor, when your idea of humor
is beavis and butthead.

Yeah, it might not be outrageously funny, or even funny at all, but I do enjoy the silly accents.

Actually its called Fable becaus most of the actions have consequences. Its a reference to Aesops Fables, where every story had a moral.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
It's not so much British humour, as humour made by British people.

This is great British humour.

Look up Carl Barron on youtube he's my fave aussie comedian

Carl Barron is pretty good, but my favourite Australian comedians are Hamish & Andy and Akmal Saleh (especially when he's on Good News Week).

TBH though, all my favourite comedians are international ones. Ross Noble, Dylan Moran, Stephen K Amos and Arj Barker are probably top of the list.

callycap3

The Iron Marquis
Reaction score

I love most of the humor in fable! there are 1 or 2 things I don't get on each game, but mostly it's great!

It wouldn't BE British humour if you understood it all - sometimes that's the point. Try watching The Mighty Boosh. It's absolutely hilarious, but sometimes you find yourself thinking "What the **** is going on??".
I'm English and don't understand a lot of the humour in Fable, and although it is often tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic, it's not all classic British style.

Status
Not open for further replies.