• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bungie Comment on 'competing' with Halo

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Bungie Comment on 'competing' with Halo

sitelogo_cvg.gif

In an interview with CVG Bungie have commented on the recent news that it was working on a new franchise with Activision, leaving Halo in the hands of 343 Industries.

Bungie said:
I think it'll feel maybe a little strange, I guess weird's a good word - it's not something we're probably going to lose sleep over or spend a lot of time worrying about.

We're really confident about the ideas we're already working on for our next project and we're going to be doing things that will hopefully help shape the next ten years of gaming. We've got most of the people who helped us do this before back at the helm to do it again.

I do think it'll be strange... not too unlike the first time we all sat down and played Halo Wars and saw someone else's take on the Halo universe, or even watching Halo Legends - that's a piece of Halo media that we had no involvement in.

On one hand it's kind of flattering to see that the universe Bungie created a decade ago is rich enough to be able to still spawn and support these new types of interaction. At a minimum it'll be cool knowing that we started all that - it was our team that made this possible.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Bungie Comment on 'competing' with Halo

i'm somewhat interested to see what they can turn to next. once you hit epic space battles and badass genetically augmented soldiers... well, it's hard to make something more epic than that.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

I have kinda assumed they may reboot Myth or one of their old games. But something new would be just as cool.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

well, there's always the chance that 343 industries takes halo and completely ruins it.
only time will tell.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Im hoping Bungie tries something completely new as Activison will likely try and milk them for all they can like they did to Infinity Ward.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;412027 said:
Im hoping Bungie tries something completely new as Activison will likely try and milk them for all they can like they did to Infinity Ward.

Though, it doesn't seem possible. Within the contract it's also stated that the rights of the following games were under property of Bungie.

They can't make the same mistake as Infinity Ward. We aren't also sure what the ex-employs claim is true. To be honest, Bungie is way more trust-able than Infinity Ward for many things and also they wouldn't do the same mistake as they did with Halo and Microsoft (now that Microsoft holds the rights of the Halo franchise and could do anything with it).

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

DarkONI;412067 said:
Though, it doesn't seem possible. Within the contract it's also stated that the rights of the following games were under property of Bungie.

They can't make the same mistake as Infinity Ward. We aren't also sure what the ex-employs claim is true. To be honest, Bungie is way more trust-able than Infinity Ward for many things and also they wouldn't do the same mistake as they did with Halo and Microsoft (now that Microsoft holds the rights of the Halo franchise and could do anything with it).

Id trust Infinity Ward over the money grabbing corporation of Activision who wanted Infinity Ward to release a new CoD every year. When they said no they got someone else in to fill the gap. Activision being the same company who wanted to charge crazy price for the game and also the map packs, who now also want to charge for a Subscription Service (Bobby Kotick does anyway). They didnt even want IW to do Modern Warfare and wanted them to keep it WWII. Im hoping they allow Bungie some freedom unlike the restricted development they gave Infinity Ward too.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;412081 said:
Id trust Infinity Ward over the money grabbing corporation of Activision who wanted Infinity Ward to release a new CoD every year. When they said no they got someone else in to fill the gap. Activision being the same company who wanted to charge crazy price for the game and also the map packs, who now also want to charge for a Subscription Service (Bobby Kotick does anyway). They didnt even want IW to do Modern Warfare and wanted them to keep it WWII. Im hoping they allow Bungie some freedom unlike the restricted development they gave Infinity Ward too.

They just have got a crazy guy there that just wants a lot of money for himself, doesn't mean that everyone there is a money mongrel like him.

However, Bungie itself said when the announcement was made that Activision would just care of publishing the games, having no control over the franchise.

Bungie Weekly Update said:
Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Source: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=25920

About Infinity Ward, the story's true. However there's a lot to be said and not much has been released to public, honestly, myself I just dropped the subject after a few days. However, I'm sure that Bungie will not get treated the same way as IW was.

Sincerely, I mostly fear what Microsoft will do with the Halo franchise. Will they ruin the game? Will they keep making games? Or just turn it to a low-level franchise to earn some money?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

DarkONI;412093 said:
They just have got a crazy guy there that just wants a lot of money for himself, doesn't mean that everyone there is a money mongrel like him.

However, Bungie itself said when the announcement was made that Activision would just care of publishing the games, having no control over the franchise.

Source: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=25920

About Infinity Ward, the story's true. However there's a lot to be said and not much has been released to public, honestly, myself I just dropped the subject after a few days. However, I'm sure that Bungie will not get treated the same way as IW was.

Sincerely, I mostly fear what Microsoft will do with the Halo franchise. Will they ruin the game? Will they keep making games? Or just turn it to a low-level franchise to earn some money?

Just seems a little deja vu to me as IW were saying the same exact thing in early interviews and it did remain that way for a while until all this happened.

Halo is Microsofts mascot of sorts i dont think they would want to tarnish its reputation.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;412101 said:
Just seems a little deja vu to me as IW were saying the same exact thing in early interviews and it did remain that way for a while until all this happened.

Halo is Microsofts mascot of sorts i dont think they would want to tarnish its reputation.

I know, however, I'm sure the Bungie guys are clever enough to defend themselves, especially after what happened with Halo.

What worries me now, is that MANY games from different companies are going to be released this last quarter of the year. There are way too many strong franchises going to be released in the same while. I wonder who will succeed in making the most sells.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

DarkONI;412103 said:

I know, however, I'm sure the Bungie guys are clever enough to defend themselves, especially after what happened with Halo.

What worries me now, is that MANY games from different companies are going to be released this last quarter of the year. There are way too many strong franchises going to be released in the same while. I wonder who will succeed in making the most sells.

Happens every year it seems, there are hardly any games released over the summer period and then everyone tries to get games released in the last quarter to try and get the Christmas sales.