• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Cigarette Branding.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
So I was reading this article. The article talks of the idea that if cigarette packets had plain packaging then less people, especially children, would be inclined to purchase and thus smoke the cigarettes. And it's not just cigarettes, the British government has also suggested that sweets and alcohol receive plain packaging also to decrease sales of these items. With this logic it would make sense to bad all colourful packing on all the unhealthiest of things. Black and white skittles? But then how does one taste the rainbow!?

It sounds rather ridiculous to me, people's prior addictions will still exist and I doubt it would affect new-born smokers. You would think the risk of death or erectile dysfunction would be enough to ward off smokers but nope.

I don't personally smoke because my body is a temple blah, blah. But, alas, I am a hypocrite, for I do indeed consume alcohol. I'm telling you now - plain packaging won't keep this girl away from her whiskey.

Question is: What do you guys think? Do the seductive cigarette brands tempt you into having a puff? Would banning them do it any good? If you're already a smoker, did the colourful packaging entice you in any manner?

W5PTR.jpg
Does this turn you on?

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
I do not know what to think of it; in my country most young people smoke their own brands and always try to find the lowest price since the government issues new taxes on cigs weekly, hence causing the main distributors to have different prices on the same cig just because it came a few days later or earlier.

Therefore, smoking cannot be stopped like that or so easily, it will take years and certainly the tobacco companies will face many issues because of that, we are experiencing a global economical crisis; doing this to tobacco companies will surely cause a severe decrease in the workforce and the possible income.

(Cigarettes do not have any real income to the end seller, due to taxation, at least, in my country)

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Can change the appearance of the packaging all you want, it won't stop the addictions and it won't solve the problems. Everyone I know that smokes has either gotten into it through peer pressure or they were curious of what it was like, and then kept doing it until they became addicted. And sadly, banning the use of cigarettes won't rid the issue as people will just find new ways of acquiring it anyway.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Therefore, smoking cannot be stopped like that or so easily, it will take years and certainly the tobacco companies will face many issues because of that, we are experiencing a global economical crisis; doing this to tobacco companies will surely cause a severe decrease in the workforce and the possible income.

This is true; there's a huge market for cigarettes. If the method did work it could have adverse effects on the economy.

Some people smoke up to 40 cigarettes or more a day, spending their money and I doubt they give a damn about the packaging of their cigarettes. Colourful or plain, people will smoke.

And sadly, banning the use of cigarettes won't rid the issue as people will just find new ways of acquiring it anyway.

Yup.
British American Tobacco said:
Plain packaging will be easier for criminal gangs to counterfeit and children are more likely to buy cheap, dodgy cigarettes on the streets than adults.

British American Tobacco said:
Undermining the legal tobacco industry will only make space for the illegal, unregulated black-market - a very dangerous move.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
^And that is why prohibition is not the answer when dealing with harmful or potentially harmful substances (well, at least that's part of the reason).

Anyway,my opinion of cigarettes is that they're just plain stupid. I mean, I don't treat my body as a temple like Queen mentioned. I smoke some weed and drink alcohol most weekends, and I've begun to dabble in psychedelics, but I'll never bother with cigarettes. They don't even get you stoned like weed will, and they're so damn addictive that you'd never be able to use them in moderation like I do with the substances that I use now.

And Gikoku's right about what makes people start smoking though. The only thing that kind of packaging might do is get smokers to buy a different brand that looks more enticing.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The only thing that kind of packaging might do is get smokers to buy a different brand that looks more enticing.

I think the idea is that not only will the packaging be plain but also all very similar. So none will look more enticing than the other.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
If they were actually serious about trying to prevent people from doing it, they'd ban it. Or come up with a real solution. Governments just need to be seen to be doing stuff.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I've always said to remove nicotine in cigarettes and see how the industry fares then. Remove the addiction and see how many will keep smoking for that "smooth taste.".

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Personally, the big SMOKING KILLS signs are enough off-putting. Even more so than clean, sleek packages.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
I had to get in on this conversation!

You're a f*cking idiot if you start/do smoke.

I honestly do not see ANY gain, what so ever while smoking, sometimes you don't need a lot to do anything, just straight up for plain fun or please, but their is NO fun or pleasure out of smoking..

On the package.. in New Zealand, not sure if its different anywhere else, but on the packets they have, or usually a persons insides, teeth, eyes, hands all of that, all gross and messed up form smoking, so that there should put you off smoking.. But I like that idea, actually showing you whats happening in your body..

Im the same with alcohol though.. But at least I get pleasure, fun and fond memories from it.. well some memories..

But if they were to ban smoking, what next? and what would replace our cigarettes?

Peace homies

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I had to get in on this conversation!

You're a f*cking idiot if you start/do smoke.

I honestly do not see ANY gain, what so ever while smoking, sometimes you don't need a lot to do anything, just straight up for plain fun or please, but their is NO fun or pleasure out of smoking..

On the package.. in New Zealand, not sure if its different anywhere else, but on the packets they have, or usually a persons insides, teeth, eyes, hands all of that, all gross and messed up form smoking, so that there should put you off smoking.. But I like that idea, actually showing you whats happening in your body..

Im the same with alcohol though.. But at least I get pleasure, fun and fond memories from it.. well some memories..

But if they were to ban smoking, what next? and what would replace our cigarettes?

Peace homies
I have a right to smoke if I so choose to do it and I do.

Just because smoking is an obviously bad habit does not give you the right to label all smokers as inherently stupid.
As a nonsmoker, you also can't assert that there are no gains from smoking because by the very nature of it you would have no idea.

The people who feel the way you do are exactly the people who should get no say in how the laws are made. You can have your emotionally charged views, but it makes you forsake critical thinking and reason. The fact is that people choose to smoke and continue smoking of their own accord. Yes, there's the obvious factor of addiction, but the reality of it is that no one can quit ANYTHING addicting unless they generate the willpower themselves.

Putting disgusting pictures on the boxes will just make them resentful, quite possibly more resistant to quitting, and making all the boxes look the same will do nothing. Spreading awareness of the harm that cigarettes do is good, but there's a line between "spreading awareness" and "harassing" that should be more carefully observed for the sake of common decency.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Putting warning labels or gross pictures on the cartons does nothing.

Nothing.

Don't you think smokers know what will happen? Just like the cocaine junkie knows? It is just a stupid way for the tobacco companies to get away with it.

"See? We put these warnings on our highly addictive product! Everything's fine!"

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I'd say smoking is definitely a choice, but I know plenty smokers who wish they could stop, but they find it too difficult a task to take on, or maybe they just can't be bothered. Nicotine is more addictive than heroine, or so they say. My mother, father, sister, aunty and uncle all smoke. My brother smoked since he was 13 but gave it up last year when he got together with his asthmatic girlfriend and chose getting laid every night over smoking.

My Grandfather, a previous smoker, loves to tell the story of how one day he took a cigarette out of the packet, looked at it and said "I don't need this." and he never smoked again. To him it was that easy and he loves to rub it in smoker's faces.

I don't smoke, and that's my choice. I can remember doing a sponsored-walk, and this guy asked me if I "wanted twos"(basically if I wanted to share a cigarette with him) I said nah and carried on walking, or strutting as I recall. f*ck yo peer pressure.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Starting might be a choice, peer pressure or not. But if you honestly believe there is a choice when it comes to addictive substances....

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Starting might be a choice, peer pressure or not. But if you honestly believe there is a choice when it comes to addictive substances....

Cigarettes may be addictive, but quitting is a choice.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'd say smoking is definitely a choice, but I know plenty smokers who wish they could stop, but they find it too difficult a task to take on, or maybe they just can't be bothered. Nicotine is more addictive than heroine, or so they say. My mother, father, sister, aunty and uncle all smoke. My brother smoked since he was 13 but gave it up last year when he got together with his asthmatic girlfriend and chose getting laid every night over smoking.

My Grandfather, a previous smoker, loves to tell the story of how one day he took a cigarette out of the packet, looked at it and said "I don't need this." and he never smoked again. To him it was that easy and he loves to rub it in smoker's faces.

I don't smoke, and that's my choice. I can remember doing a sponsored-walk, and this guy asked me if I "wanted twos"(basically if I wanted to share a cigarette with him) I said nah and carried on walking, or strutting as I recall. f*ck yo peer pressure.

Peer pressure is one hell of a road block, especially when you're young and find yourself struggling to fit in. My sister, uncle, and ex all got in to it through peer pressure when they were teenagers. I had a first smoke when I was 17 from peer pressure as well, but the taste and experience was so disgusting to me I never wanted to do it again (and I never did).

Sad to say, my nephew (her youngest child) is now paying the price for her addiction because she couldn't stay away from smokes while pregnant. Now he's mentally challenged and suffered countless seizures during his first three years after birth and thankfully he's still alive, but with each seizure his education takes a step in reverse.

My uncle died of a heart attack from smoking, and my ex remains addicted not only for the nicotine, but to also help combat her anxiety & depression.. which, ironically is also caused by her smoking, so she's in an endless cycle that she struggles to get out of and there's nothing I can really do being 2 states away. Damn I hate cigarettes.

Cigarettes may be addictive, but quitting is a choice.

Exactly. My ex made the choice to quit, but she failed because she lacked the willpower and became lazy with it. Now she's back to smoking a pack a day.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
I have a right to smoke if I so choose to do it and I do.

Just because smoking is an obviously bad habit does not give you the right to label all smokers as inherently stupid.
As a nonsmoker, you also can't assert that there are no gains from smoking because by the very nature of it you would have no idea.

The people who feel the way you do are exactly the people who should get no say in how the laws are made. You can have your emotionally charged views, but it makes you forsake critical thinking and reason. The fact is that people choose to smoke and continue smoking of their own accord. Yes, there's the obvious factor of addiction, but the reality of it is that no one can quit ANYTHING addicting unless they generate the willpower themselves.

Putting disgusting pictures on the boxes will just make them resentful, quite possibly more resistant to quitting, and making all the boxes look the same will do nothing. Spreading awareness of the harm that cigarettes do is good, but there's a line between "spreading awareness" and "harassing" that should be more carefully observed for the sake of common decency.

Obviously it is your choice to smoke, nobody else is going to do it for you.. Well I hope not!

When I see older people 30 years plus smoking, I'm not sooo worried about it, but its when I see younger, underage people smoking, its horrible, they're not doing it for the reasons that a more mature person is doing it for..

It gives me a sense of they "don't care", so its kind of like, why should I care about you and what you do if you do not care for yourself? Nt saying they are a bad person, but Why should I expect them to treat me any better then they treat themselves with smoking? It seems to create bad attitudes (From a young) if they start doing that, and yeah it may lead to other things, it may not..

Being PC (Politically correct) just gets annoying every now and then, unfortunately someone is going to have to do something, and majority of the people are not going to like it but like someone said before, they need to do something bi, instead of just doing little things to make it look like they're doing something, instead of wasting time.

But as a person, you do what yo want, when you want, my opinion towards smoking and cigarettes are complete different opinions then towards someone being able to do what they want

Yeeeeah, sorry if you got offended by my comment or upset

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
I always wondered what it is that people get out of smoking. So far, I've only seen people get into it from peer pressure or experimentation, and keep doing it because of addiction. Some say it 'helps them relax', but the vast majority of them are as calm as people that don't smoke. So basically they want to be less awake, during daytime...? Confusing.

Personally, I've never done so much as drink a beer. Self-control or pathetic? Meh, I don't need it! :|