• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Crunches

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
Crunches

The ab exercise, I'm having trouble with it cause I had an accident last year and the muscles in my back are very tense and ache all the time. I also have trouble actually doing the exercise, so any help or tips would be great.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Re: Crunches

I'm sure you would already do this, but stretching and loosening up before getting into some demanding exercising with really help. However, considering you're constantly suffering from back pain then I would highly recommend consulting a doctor.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score

projectego;374831 said:
I'm sure you would already do this, but stretching and loosening up before getting into some demanding exercising with really help. However, considering you're constantly suffering from back pain then I would highly recommend consulting a doctor.
Thanks PE, I've been to the doctors before and they just gave me pain killers. The pain doesn't really bother me, its the fact I can't actually do the exercise that's frustrating cause I can't "feel the burn" or whatever, and you're supposed to lift your shoulders with just your abs and I just don't know.. how to :p

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

get a massage. you might have lots of knots that tighten and cause pain when u do certain things or motions

Man

The Superior Being
Reaction score

ignore the pain. eventually it starts to feel good

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

projectego;374831 said:

Absolutely, I've seen too many people neglect the importance of warming up before a workout or anything that requires athletic ability, if you don't you're more likely to hurt yourself as well as performing the task poorly.

Shirosaki;374839 said:
Thanks PE, I've been to the doctors before and they just gave me pain killers. The pain doesn't really bother me, its the fact I can't actually do the exercise that's frustrating cause I can't "feel the burn" or whatever, and you're supposed to lift your shoulders with just your abs and I just don't know.. how to :p

You'll feel the burn once you've done it enough properly. You tighten your abdominal muscles and you lift with your shoulders not your abs (that's why it's called a crunch). Have your arms placed across your chest, and slowly lift with your shoulder blades (while tightening your abdominal muscles) a few inches off the ground, exhale as you're coming up keep your neck straight and your chin up. Hold for 3 deep breaths and then come back down and relax your abdominal muscles, then repeat this.

Here's a video:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/abdominal-crunch/MM00725

If you have trouble keeping your legs stable, you can also plant your feet underneath the couch (or have someone hold your feet for you) while you're doing this so you're not messing up.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score

Gikoku Harakami;374847 said:
Absolutely, I've seen too many people neglect the importance of warming up before a workout or anything that requires athletic ability, if you don't you're more likely to hurt yourself as well as performing the task poorly.

You'll feel the burn once you've done it enough properly. You tighten your abdominal muscles and you lift with your shoulders not your abs (that's why it's called a crunch). Have your arms placed across your chest, and slowly lift with your shoulder blades (while tightening your abdominal muscles) a few inches off the ground, exhale as you're coming up keep your neck straight and your chin up. Hold for 3 deep breaths and then come back down and relax your abdominal muscles, then repeat this.

Here's a video:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/abdominal-crunch/MM00725

If you have trouble keeping your legs stable, you can also plant your feet underneath the couch (or have someone hold your feet for you) while you're doing this so you're not messing up.
Thanks, +Rep. I have one more naive question, would I be able to do crunches in bed? It happens to be the most convenient time for lying down :p My mattress is moderately springy if that makes a difference.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Shirosaki;374854 said:
Thanks, +Rep. I have one more naive question, would I be able to do crunches in bed? It happens to be the most convenient time for lying down :p My mattress is moderately springy if that makes a difference.

It's best to do it on the ground or a soft mat on the ground because you want to keep your body straight when you're doing this, you don't want to have your body bent.

And if you're a pimp with a water bed, the answer is definitely no.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score

Do some toe touching, stretch thoroughly, then tough it out for the remaining pain. Also, don't just go down with your legs bent, prop up your feet to a level where it'll make your back completely straight.