• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dragon Age II Pulls A Commander Shepard

sfroggy1

Resident Muppet
Premium
Reaction score

sfroggy1news.gif

500x_dashep.jpg

Dragon Age II takes a page from the Mass Effect playbook, limiting player characters to a male or female human version of the game's main character, Hawke.

In Dragon Age: Origins, players could choose from four different races and three different character classes, with each combination coming complete with its own playable origin story.

Dragon Age II is not Dragon Age: Origins.

Instead of multiple origins, there is only one. From the official press release:

"Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke's rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever."

BioWare's Chris Priestly confirms on the forums that, like Commander Shepard from the Mass Effect series, players will be able to create either a male or female Hawke. Like Mass Effect, this should allow for a deeper story, while allowing characters to refer to the main character by name. I'm sure emotional engagement has something to do with it as well.

Like many fans in the forums, this decision rubs me the wrong way. While I enjoyed playing my own Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, my Dragon Age character felt much more like an extension of myself than Shepard did, even if it was a female elf.

Don't know if this is the right decision to be honest :(

Azer249

Reaction score
Re: Dragon Age II Pulls A Commander Shepard

LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

Evan

Maestro
Reaction score

I never thought of being a dwarf or elf so being restricted to human doesn't bother me. But customization was a big part of starting the game so it's unfortunate most will be removed. Unless the keep the face and body customs in which you could just make your ears pointy or make yourslef short and scrubby. :p

sfroggy1

Resident Muppet
Premium
Reaction score

I agree. Mega DISLIKE !

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score

I think I'll prefer it that way. I never really use character customizations, and stuff, so I won't have a problem with that.

Azer249

Reaction score

Yet again LAME LAME LAME LAME but you know they still have time to change it :)

sfroggy1

Resident Muppet
Premium
Reaction score

Seems like they have made their minds up tbh m8. Hawke . . . hmmm it may grow on me but I am extremely disappointed that 'Hawke' has to be a human male or female. Why can't they have an elf counterpart for 'Hawke'?!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I guess in a way i can see why they did this (so they can concentrate on crafting a solid story more). However it also makes the game sound far more restricted than the first. Not a great first thought about something thats supposed to be a sequel.