• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dragon Age: Origins

Magikrap

:trollface:
Reaction score
Dragon Age: Origins

It's probably one of my favorite games of all times. It's a long and entertaining Western RPG. Anybody else play it?

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Yeah, still have it for the PS3 but I haven't touched it in months after I had beaten it. Not sure if I'm going to bother with the DLC but I hear they're pretty good.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

DA: O is a pretty solid game. I'll definitely replay it after Fable has worn out its welcome (though I don't know if that will happen any time soon...)

And yes, the DLC was pretty solid, it added to the gameplay and flowed nicely offering a new experience just at the moment it started to get repetitive.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Havent got around to completing it yet as its a game you cant simply 'pick up and play' takes some settling in and have to have a long time free to play it. I quite liked it, some parts frustrated me like the lack of explanation for some of the systems but its a good game.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;413445 said:
Havent got around to completing it yet as its a game you cant simply 'pick up and play' takes some settling in and have to have a long time free to play it. I quite liked it, some parts frustrated me like the lack of explanation for some of the systems but its a good game.

Yeah, picked up the game manual which didn't help much either so I had to learn it on my own as the playtime progressed. Hopefully that gets fixed in DA2.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Which systems were confusing? This forum has a habit of being very vague...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413729 said:

Been a while since i played it but the mapping of spells to buttons and being able to map 8 to 4 buttons and switching between 2 sets took me about 18 hours to realise i could do. Also the quest menus are cluttered and active quests tracking could have been optimised and done so much better. Ones i remember off top of my head and after 10 beers anyway as i havent played it in about 3 months and memory is vague.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

That bloody game is a prime example of one where you'd want a manual as thick as the IKEA catalog.

Really, the art of making game manuals is dead these days.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Tsuyu;413736 said:
That bloody game is a prime example of one where you'd want a manual as thick as the IKEA catalog.

Really, the art of making game manuals is dead these days.

I agree, part of the anticipation was reading the manual from cover to cover before playing.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413729 said:
Pretty much everything - the tutorials are all but non-existent and there seems to be a lot of presupposed knowledge, like you already must know how it basically works.

I actually am not a fan of this game - really want to be, but they've screwed it up for me and I doubt I'll ever play it again. It doesn't even have the sort of re-playability I'd expect from so many different origin stories.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

I HATED the quest menu XD.

Disclaimer to my previous statement : I am very used to this style of game so all the systems were pretty well known to me, I was only asking because I wanted to know what others found confusing. Also I play DA: O on xbox.

Yeah, the quest menu was a bit confusing, it was hard to discern what was happening, I was very frustrated with some of the requirements to continue on a quest. They would consist of picking up a codex and you'd suddenly get a new waypoint before you'd even have a remote chance of reading it. It was extremely difficult to figure out what exactly you just picked up and how it correlates and I couldn't stand that I'd have to flip back to the quest menu just to figure out how what I was reading tied in at all. This didn't make playing the game difficult but it did tax my ability to understand the game (5 playthroughs later and I MIGHT get everything finally XD)

As for the mapping of buttons, like I said I was raised on this style of game it practically jumped out to me but as a piece of advice I'd stay far away from this system as it was completely pointless. Its much more efficient to bring up the skill menu, pausing the game and providing yourself ample time to plan and strategise. I recommend it for healing (and even then I'd still pull up the pause menu) and I'd recommend it for solo stealthing as its quicker and doesn't effect the strategy.

All the tutorials for this game are actually present however they suffer the same problem as the quest menu (as it is in fact a built in tab in the quest menu) you have to keep flipping back between reading and doing...totally not fun. And it doesn't help that the little check mark disappears once you scroll over the box.

Paragon

The Ghoul
Reaction score

It's a pretty good game. I've been playing it a lot lately since I don't have my beloved Fable III yet.

I recently got mad because this is my second playthrough and I wanted to side with the werewolves but the only way I could get them to kill all of the elves was if I had really high coercion (which I didn't).
Anyway, I just killed all of the mages and lost Wynee and it sucks because now I don't have a healer/reviver mage. So I'm workin on givin those abilities to Morrigan right now.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Recycled Human;413745 said:
I HATED the quest menu XD.

Disclaimer to my previous statement : I am very used to this style of game so all the systems were pretty well known to me, I was only asking because I wanted to know what others found confusing. Also I play DA: O on xbox.

Yeah, the quest menu was a bit confusing, it was hard to discern what was happening, I was very frustrated with some of the requirements to continue on a quest. They would consist of picking up a codex and you'd suddenly get a new waypoint before you'd even have a remote chance of reading it. It was extremely difficult to figure out what exactly you just picked up and how it correlates and I couldn't stand that I'd have to flip back to the quest menu just to figure out how what I was reading tied in at all. This didn't make playing the game difficult but it did tax my ability to understand the game (5 playthroughs later and I MIGHT get everything finally XD)

As for the mapping of buttons, like I said I was raised on this style of game it practically jumped out to me but as a piece of advice I'd stay far away from this system as it was completely pointless. Its much more efficient to bring up the skill menu, pausing the game and providing yourself ample time to plan and strategise. I recommend it for healing (and even then I'd still pull up the pause menu) and I'd recommend it for solo stealthing as its quicker and doesn't effect the strategy.

All the tutorials for this game are actually present however they suffer the same problem as the quest menu (as it is in fact a built in tab in the quest menu) you have to keep flipping back between reading and doing...totally not fun. And it doesn't help that the little check mark disappears once you scroll over the box.

The quest menu was a complicated nightmare of a system. Wish they had used the same sort they used in Mass Effect series. That was easy to follow and easy to mark active quests. Dragon Age seemed to just throw a huge block of text at you with a handful of useful points hidden in there and was much to cluttered to be easy to follow. A good game was hidden underneath all the frustrating systems. This was the first game ive played of this style and although i dont like to have my hand held through games some pointers and explanations to the systems would have been nice.

Find myself discovering new things the more i play it but these things are systems i should have known how to use at the start. Would have made things more straight forward and the game more enjoyable.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

I keep trying to play that game, but I keep finding it boring. The combat is to uninvolved.

GMRauru

GOMLB
Reaction score

The combat IS very uninvolved. Unless I was soloing, towards the end of my playthroughs I typically had my character's tactics so fine tuned that I would just autoattack because of how quickly I went through battles.

My biggest problem with the game is that its soloable on Nightmare. When I saw that the hardest difficulty was called Nightmare, I expected a challenge around every corner and ultimately didn't get one.

Also the Quest Menu sucks.

EDIT - I did enjoy the Lore and Storyline though, they did pretty fantastic on it overall.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Nightmare soloable? I don't recall that at all. One word : spiders.

GMRauru

GOMLB
Reaction score

Templar/Reaver 2H tank style.

I'll edit this later with how I did it if you want, in the car now.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

How does Templar/reaver best a spiders pin? Now I'm curious because I always needed a second party member at the least!

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score

I agree with Gikoku. I beat and just stopped playing it. I never bought DLC and don't plan to in the future.

Magikrap

:trollface:
Reaction score

The DLC is pretty good but a bit disappointing. They took away one of the coolest parts of the game, the communication system DAO had. I mean, what makes this game special is the feeling that you're traveling with all these different people.

I hope DA2 brings this back.