• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable would be better as a film series.

Do you think Fable would be better as a film?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScousaJ

ScousaJ
Reaction score
Like the title says, I think that Fable would work better as a film series...

The reason I believe this is because many people are complaining about boss fights. I've seen people say that the boss fights are just too easy...

I like the Fable series because of the story. I think, if you look and listen hard enough, Fable I, II and III all have good story lines. People don't seem to appreciate this because they are playing a GAME.

I think if people were watching a film they would appreciate the story more. I made this thread so people can argue for and/or against this point.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
That the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It goes against everything Fable is based on, who will YOU become.

That's more or less the reason of why reading the book is better than seeing the movie, while you read it, it's YOUR adventure, with your mind's characters, action and enviorment, while in the film, you're seeing the director's portrayal.

ScousaJ

ScousaJ
Reaction score
That the most retarded thing I've ever heard. It goes against everything Fable is based on, who will YOU become.

That's more or less the reason of why reading the book is better than seeing the movie, while you read it, it's YOUR adventure, with your mind's characters, action and enviorment, while in the film, you're seeing the director's portrayal.
Tyrant Lord, I agree... However, I may have worded my thread wrong. I basically meant that the STORYLINE of Fable I, II and III would be better appreciated if portrayed through a film or even a book if you want it to be your own story.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Tyrant Lord, I agree... However, I may have worded my thread wrong. I basically meant that the STORYLINE of Fable I, II and III would be better appreciated if portrayed through a film or even a book if you want it to be your own story.
Still, the storyline is filled and I mean stuffed full with choices.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Tyrant. Fable wouldn't make a very good premise for a movie. The Fable games have a very interesting mythology and a colorful cast of characters, but the main hero has never had a defined personality, which is something that would have to be directly addressed if they were to make a movie about him (or the Archon bloodline for the matter.) Even in Fable III (where he's been given a voice for the first time) he's still little more than a blank slate avatar for the player to do whatever they want with.
I suppose a movie could be made featuring someone else besides the usual 'hero' as the main character, but that would be... like... blasphemy... or something, wouldn't it?

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Tyrant. Fable wouldn't make a very good premise for a movie. The Fable games have a very interesting mythology and a colorful cast of characters, but the main hero has never had a defined personality, which is something that would have to be directly addressed if they were to make a movie about him (or the Archon bloodline for the matter.) Even in Fable III (where he's been given a voice for the first time) he's still little more than a blank slate avatar for the player to do whatever they want with.
I suppose a movie could be made featuring someone else besides the usual 'hero' as the main character, but that would be... like... blasphemy... or something, wouldn't it?
We do have The Balverine Order thought

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
True. Would that have made a good movie, do you think?
No, it could be, but it would take away the little immersion it allowed us. For example, this character Sabrina, I always imagined her through the book as the Pokemón Gym Leader. It was quite fitting you see...

Lynne

Reaction score
Oh come on.... Fable practically begs you to play good. The storylines, especially in 3, are weird and dont make any sense if you play evil. So your evil but your brother killing some villagers is "wrong" when the first chance you have you slaughter all of brightwall? Its insane. The game is built to serve a "good" playthrough better than an evil one. So the whole choice being the center of a fable game is weak, in my opinion.

Lynne

Reaction score
Oh come on.... Fable practically begs you to play good. The storylines, especially in 3, are weird and dont make any sense if you play evil. So your evil but your brother killing some villagers is "wrong" when the first chance you have you slaughter all of brightwall? Its insane. The game is built to serve a "good" playthrough better than an evil one. So the whole choice being the center of a fable game is weak, in my opinion.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
That's true, being evil in Fable III makes no sense at all. makes the hero a double stander, but everyone follows him all the same - and then they pretend to be surprised when I want a Brothel instead of a home for kids, or a mine instead of a lake.

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
That's true, being evil in Fable III makes no sense at all. makes the hero a double stander, but everyone follows him all the same - and then they pretend to be surprised when I want a Brothel instead of a home for kids, or a mine instead of a lake.
Not strictly true. Walter, Page, and the others have no choice but to follow the hero. For one thing, who else is there? The hero is the only other rightful heir to the throne besides Logan, and people who have lived their whole lives under a monarchy are usually very reluctant to accept a new ruler who isn't of the original royal bloodline. Even if Walter or Sabine or ANYONE else led the revolution on their own and actually won-- the results are unpredictable. It causes a power vacuum because every highborn lord and rebel leader will start styling themselves king because no one in particular has an unshakable claim to the throne. They all start hiring mercenaries and suddenly you've got an entirely new war on your hands. Who knows who could end up in power? What if no one ever triumphs and the kingdom of Albion is shattered into minor fiefdoms? The hero *could* turn out to be an evil ruler, but Walter and the others take that chance because at least the hero assures stability and has the strength to hold on to the reins of power.

Is that really what you want? A world of black and white choices? Is that what you call choice? Kiss the baby or kick the baby? Does it reflect badly on this games storytelling that you can't get the game to depict you as the blackest hearted fiend this fantasy world has ever known? It's not about picking the evil path or the good path, it's about assuming the role of certain prince (or princess) who must fight a certain revolution and then you decide what kind of person they are. You have assumed a role and now you act it out. If you want complete freedom then you could just as easily complain that the hero wasn't given the option to walk away from the revolution entirely. Forget Logan and his crimes, what if I don't care?

The 'choice' system isn't perfect, and I suspect it never will be, but it made sense enough to me.

Greywolf

Reaction score
That is some argument you have there Shadowfiend but I think it would be better if you stop kidding yourself into thinking that the storyline in any of the fable games has depth. The story makes no sense especially from an evil point of view as instead of having a reason to be evil it is more being a bastard for the sake of being a bastard, you ask if we want a world of black and white choices but isnt that what we are given? Sure Fable 3 tried to blur the lines between black and white a little but it still comes down to being good and being a bastard for the sake of being a bastard.

The Fable series has always been about black and white choices, sure the story doesnt make sense (especially from an evil point of view) but then again it doesnt have to, story is about the last thing I look for in a Fable game.

Also hi I am new to these forums.

Greywolf

Reaction score
Also I think I know what you are refering to, there was a period in time where England became a republic, however I thought the reason that failed was not because the man who came to be in charge was not of royal blood but because he was even more corrupt than the king they got rid of?

Shadowfiend

Of eternal agony, etc.
Reaction score
Hiya. Welcome. Glad to have you with us, wolf dude.

Well, I said my piece. Everyone is looking for a different sort of experience. Maybe I read too much into things. Maybe you guys don't read into things enough. Who can say for certain?

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
Hiya. Welcome. Glad to have you with us, wolf dude.

Well, I said my piece. Everyone is looking for a different sort of experience. Maybe I read too much into things. Maybe you guys don't read into things enough. Who can say for certain?
Fair enough.
I just think Fable III is the worst Fable Lionhead has created, and I don't think it has black and white choices - it's much more complicated than past Fables as far as choices go.. which is a good thing :)

enactment11

Chicken Rebel
Reaction score
I think being evil is less obvious. Though the story calls for you to be good, what makes you think the hero is not just a deceptive bastard that is lying to everyone? Way I see it, you could have been that noble hero that seems to be the accepted canon, or the er... rebellious rebel. The one who creates chaos for Logan rather than try to "right his wrongs". Then as King, you could be the "save the people even though they suffer because they'll thank me later" or the "give them the best time of their lives for the next year... then they die." kind of king.
What they shouldn't have done though was the indicators as to which was the good choice because then it'll be less obvious as to what to choose. Heck I'd be stuck at many of the kings choices if not for the indicators. =P

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Hmm this thread is in the process of derailment me thinks...

So here I come to the rescue.

As Fable stands it would make a terrible movie, but with more improvents it could be a much better game. As a game, is what Fable should stay as and if it was a movie its narrative just wouldn't work. Fable is a game that lets you take control, make it your own. How the hell could you portray that in a film?

Zangash

Reaction score
That is some argument you have there Shadowfiend but I think it would be better if you stop kidding yourself into thinking that the storyline in any of the fable games has depth. The story makes no sense especially from an evil point of view as instead of having a reason to be evil it is more being a bastard for the sake of being a bastard, you ask if we want a world of black and white choices but isnt that what we are given? Sure Fable 3 tried to blur the lines between black and white a little but it still comes down to being good and being a bastard for the sake of being a bastard.

The Fable series has always been about black and white choices, sure the story doesnt make sense (especially from an evil point of view) but then again it doesnt have to, story is about the last thing I look for in a Fable game.

Also hi I am new to these forums.

The first Fable made absolute sense, even from an Evil Standpoint. My character would have buddied up with Jack of Blades in an instant, if he hadn't massacred my village, killed my father, enslaved my mother, cut out my sister's eyes and left her to die, forced my mentor to betray me, imprisoned me, forced me to race naked (Demeaning...), sliced my mother's throat, laid waste to the Heroes' Guild, among many, many other things.

In Fable 2, I told myself, that despite all the other things Lucien was doing, I only wanted to kill him for revenge. Hell, I would have taken over the spire myself if Theresa hadn't of wanted it.

But in Fable 3... I felt like a hypocrite. The storyline just didn't work out. At all.

*Kills 200+ people to get enough guild seals to gain the support of Bowerstone*
Page: "You're actually a pretty decent guy. People are starting to believe in you."

I guess that's why so many people loved Jack. He could be a believable adversary, evil or good. =/

TheDarkCynder

Reaction score
I disagree. Video games give you a sense of well... You! I don't want to watch other people do things, I want to be that person. When I fantasize over a game (don't judge) I am the character. When I do it over a movie, I am befriended to the character in some way. I want me. Those who do not follow the story are at their own loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.