• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Featured Game Weekly #4

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
unled1f.jpg
Every week i will post a 'Featured Game' in a new thread and sticky it. Could be one people have suggested to me doing over the course of the week, one of my most recently played games, an old favourite or a game i purchased and maybe didnt like.

I will post the details of the game and sometimes DLC and regardless of whether you have played it or not people can post what they liked in the game/ or liked the look of in the game and what they didnt like or thought could have been improved or what put them off the game if they didnt purchase it. Then over the course of the week people can voice their opinions (in an adult manner and respecting others opinions) might help some gamers try some games they thought they wouldnt enjoy or change some opinions.

Following is a brief description of my thoughts...
Thanks to cheezMcNASTY for this weeks suggestion.
mass-effect-2-preview-main-01.jpg
Platform - Xbox 360/PC/PS3
Release Date - PC/Xbox 360
NA January 26, 2010​
EU 26 January 2010​
AUS January 28, 2010​

PS3
NA January 26, 2010​
EU 26 January 2010​
AUS January 28, 2010​
Average Metacritic Score -
360 - 96/100
PS3 -94/100
PC - 94/100
A game i thoroughly enjoyed and played through twice, great story and brilliant voice acting once again and an opening sequence i wont forget for some time. Not as cluttered as the original and they fixed some of the things that frustrated me but also lacking in some of the more detailed RPG aspects.
Pros
  • Great graphics and fixed most of the graphical glitches present in the original
  • For the most part very impressive voice acting and cast
  • Story is interesting and keeps you busy
  • Multiple story branches
  • Some great new characters
  • Shooting mechanic has been improved from original
  • More varied level design
Cons
  • Removed planet exploring and the Mako and replaced with the mind numbing planet scanning feature.... yawwwwn
  • Some minor glitches and bugs still present
  • Concentrated more on the shooter aspect of the game while diluting the RPG side
  • Loyalty mission scenarios seem a little forced
  • One of the 'boss' fights isnt very inspired or original
DLC
Mass Effect 2 - Zaeed: The Price of Revenge​
161728-zaeed.jpg
The only one of the DLC i played because i got it for free, i shall likely try some of the others before the release of Mass Effect 3 in 2012. Most interested in Lair Of The Shadow Broker.​
Zaeed was an interesting character and about what you would expect from a mercenary. Out for revenge against his old friend, Vido and has a score to settle.​
Pros
  • Cash, resources and XP for doing this loyalty mission DLC.​
  • Get some good back story from the character including details on the Blue Suns​
  • Some good gun fights and moral choices​
Cons
  • Character feels a little empty as you cant communicate with him properly like most squad mates in the game.​
  • Not a very long piece of DLC​
Now for this week people can voice their opinions on the game and any of the DLC they have played and i will do another game next week... Pros and Cons you found or if you havent played it things that appealed to you or things that put you off it...
Any questions about the thread or suggestions for next weeks featured game send me a message.

Dentie

Reaction score
Havent played the game yet but I will buy it soon if the price goes down a little or if there is a sale on steam. I have played the first game and I enjoyed it and if its like the first game i will like this game too I think.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Havent played the game yet but I will buy it soon if the price goes down a little or if there is a sale on steam. I have played the first game and I enjoyed it and if its like the first game i will like this game too I think.

Its a sequel in the sense that it makes certain improvements over certain systems in the original but its also been made easier to grasp and pick up and play than the first. Good for those that arent as used to RPG's and more used to action games but it slightly irritated hardcore RPG fans that those aspects seemed a little watered down. They are some of the only criticisms ive seen about it. Overall a fantastic game though and one that must be played.

Reaction score
Mass Effect was a fantastic game, the lack of RPG elements didn't bother me much. Shame it couldn't have lasted longer. Oh well ME3 soon. ^_^

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
I loved it the first time round but I wasn't too interested in trying to go through it again.. I might end up buying the 3rd since I had the first two.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Mass Effect was a fantastic game, the lack of RPG elements didn't bother me much. Shame it couldn't have lasted longer. Oh well ME3 soon. ^_^

If you class 2012 as soon then yeah. :lol:

I didnt mind some elements being cut down as they seemed cluttered and unneeded in the original. Mainly the inventory screen and the codex, having lots of weapons that look the same but have a +1 stat difference seemed really unneeded. You would collect maybe 120 weapons and be very little difference in each and would just sell the rest, same goes for the armour. It could have been expanded a little on what was in ME2 but for the most part i was happy.

Same for the codex in the original, there was sooo much info in the codex that it just swamped you. Was like someone throwing a whole textbook at you everytime you so much as glimpsed at something. Was nice in the fact that you got lots of details about environments, races and factions and such and it fleshed the story out. However after a while i stopped reading them as there was just too much of it and spending 10mins reading info everytime you did anything just felt needless. Shame they pretty much removed it entirely, could have just tidied it up.

Just need a good balance between the 2 in ME3 and i shall be happy. I love deep RPG games so long as the systems are sleek and easy to navigate and get info from. I was put off Dragon Age for the reason that it seemed really cluttered and i often didnt know what i was meant to be doing or where i was meant to be going. Mainly down to the cluttered quest menu and poor navigation.

I played ME2 for 39 hours first playthrough and 32 hours second playthrough so it was a decent length i thought.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
New title will be featured later on today...

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
ME2 made my top 5 video games of all time list. the voice acting, overall graphics, and story have been mentioned... it has a pretty cliché sort of fight an intergalactic battle for the sake of humanity vibe, but part of what makes it truly special is that it manages to make that seem fresh again. it's been done a million times, but playing Mass Effect 2 was like watching independence day again for the first time.

that's something that even Halo, in all it's popularity and praise, never managed to do quite as fully. ever.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
ME2 made my top 5 video games of all time list. the voice acting, overall graphics, and story have been mentioned... it has a pretty cliché sort of fight an intergalactic battle for the sake of humanity vibe, but part of what makes it truly special is that it manages to make that seem fresh again. it's been done a million times, but playing Mass Effect 2 was like watching independence day again for the first time.

that's something that even Halo, in all it's popularity and praise, never managed to do quite as fully. ever.

Yeah i know what you mean, the story was cliché in itself but the feeling of being part of an intergalatic war as rarely been done so well and the fact all your backstory and accomplishments flesh out the game made it that much more epic.