• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Free Roaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

souls4me

Free Roaming

I want to see the gameplay of fable (fighting and magic) mixed with free roaming like morrowind. Being able to go anywhere and everywhere and do anything. Not only would it make the game more challenging but alot funner and longer. for example you see a little island out on the horizon and you go out there only to find a wasp nest with about 100 wasps and nothing else or start a fire just to kill someone or everyone who made you mad or you could do it just for fun to hear the villagers scream and beg for mercy. It may seem useless but it would make you really want to explore everything.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score
Re: Free Roaming

I talked about this before in another thread. I'm glad you agree as well that you wish there be more extra content added. It doesn't necessarily need to be int he game, it's just in there to make the game more lively and interesting.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Im sure the developers will have something like this in mind, peter molyneux has some damn good ideas and i dont doubt more will be on the way in Fable 2.

K

Kato Si

The free roaming idea would be cool, but wouldn't that not make it feel like Fable. Just a thought.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Kato Si said:
The free roaming idea would be cool, but wouldn't that not make it feel like Fable. Just a thought.

I think if it became a success then that idea would define Fable and turn it to true legendary game status. Then it would be the standard idea for Fable games in future.

K

Kato Si

Dark Drakan said:
I think if it became a success then that idea would define Fable and turn it to true legendary game status. Then it would be the standard idea for Fable games in future.

So you agree, right?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Kato Si said:
So you agree, right?

I half agree, it might not seem like Fable as we know it right now if this idea were to appear in a sequel but if its included in 3 sequels or whatever it would be classed as normal for a fable game.

K

Kato Si

Dark Drakan said:
I half agree, it might not seem like Fable as we know it right now if this idea were to appear in a sequel but if its included in 3 sequels or whatever it would be classed as normal for a fable game.

Yeah I agree wait until a few sequels then try the idea.

U

Ulicus

Wasn't Fable supposed to be free roaming originally anyway?

I'm always loathe to use Morrowind comparisons, because that game - for want of a better word, sucked. However, the "vast world to explore" idea is one that I'd really like to see Fable put some more effort into.

And lets actually have more points in the game when we can take time just to explore the world and do whatever the hell we like with a clear conscience. It bugs me how big "do whatever you like games" always have stories that involve 'races against time', since that makes it hard to justify why your character would just be hanging around fishing or whatnot.

For example, you meet Therasa at the Grey House - she tells you your mother is locked up and there is a quest card. Why would your character (if good) spend time courting Lady Grey/doing something else before then, if they knew where their mother was? They wouldn't.

So off you trape to release her, only for her to be like "We've got to get to the darkwood gate super quick, Jack is almost victorious!", which puts further contraints (from a roleplaying perspective) on what you should be doing.

I want my Hero to have more "breather" moments in the main story. At the moment, the only ones I can think of are before the Wasp Queen quest, between the Orchard Farm and Darkwood Trader quest and between the White Balverine and Arena quests.

- And Kato, I'm pretty sure Dark Drakan was saying "Though Fable doesn't seem like a free roamer now, if it was in the next few sequels, it would feel like an ingrained part of it." Not "Wait for a few sequels before it's included". Think about Q and James Bond. He wasn't in Dr No, but he was considered a fundamental part of the series after he'd been in about 20 of them.

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Well, I say I'm glad that the game doesn't stick to the storyline. Imagine it, you were put on the quest to rescue your mother, and you eneded up using all your potions just getting through the graveyard. Would you want the game to continue it having no potions during the jails, and even the Kraken battle? But don't get me wrong, I have a clear meaning of what your saying. As to how they make it sound so important, yet you can just go off and do some fishing of drinking at the local pub. I admit I hate the whole "a race against time and the forces of evil" slogan myself. Plus, if it were true, with how long I pace myself, Jack would have taken over the world. But one question, what do you exactly mean by "breather" moments?

U

Ulicus

Example: In the game, after finding the Archeologist, Maze contacts you and says:

"It looks like Knothole Glade is in some trouble"

From a roleplaying perspective, any self respecting (good) Hero, would go straight to the Guild, pick up the quest and complete it. Yes, you *can* spend a load of time doing whatever the hell you like, but it's hard to justify it for certain characters. There's no room "to breathe", you're being forced further into the story.

Put it this way, if in real life - your boss tells you to deliver a message - you go and deliver the message, you don't spend an hour wandering the workplace looking for other things to do in between.

"Breather" moments, would be those moments where there is no great plot point weighing down on your character, that are dictating what he should be doing next. The time between the White Balverine quest and the Arena is a "Breather Point", because there's nothing "Life or Death" about having to go fight in the Arena, you've got an excuse to just walk around Albion doing what the hell you like for a while.

But, *after* the Arena, the bandit walks up and says "Theresa wants to meet you at the Grey House". Considering that the Hero (whether good or evil) seems to give quite a large crap about his family - until the very end at least - there's really no excuse to not go meet her straight away. THEN when you do, she tells you "our mother is in prison, the archeologist knows the way in" - how can I justify my (good) character be spending time courting Lady Grey/getting married/fishing/whatever when his mother is in such pain? He wouldn't. Then, as soon as you release your mother - you're told you *have to go to the Darkwood cullis gate*... and you're into the final stretch of the game.

I thought that there was going to be something of a breather point between Fable and the Extra TLC stuff... but no. Straight away: "Get to the boasting platform quickly!", then "You must hurry to the Northern Wastes, there's no time to waste!"... gah.

Fable's storyline should have been broken up in such a way that you'd have two or three quests directly related to the storyline to do, then once they were done there would be a few quests unrelated to the storyline that weren't constantly being shoved down your throat but were just *there*. Once they were done, the storyline would kick in again. Repeat.

So, like, after the Arena, instead of a bandit approaching you telling you to meet Theresa, he wouldn't - and you'd just unlock a few more quests at the guild. Once you'd done all of them (or met a certain number) and probably married/exposed Lady Grey, THEN a bandit would appear and say "Theresa wants to meet you", and you could launch into the "rescue Scarlet" portion of the game.

J

joka

i dont get it ... u realy cant do anything about it so why are u posting that message ... do u understand the game if u want to do the quest then CHOOSE to do it dont just choose it and bugger off and if u dont want to do it then u dont have to .... think about you choose to do a quest and then u just drop out . i dont think ure boss whud be very happy

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

joka said:
i dont get it ... u realy cant do anything about it so why are u posting that message ... do u understand the game if u want to do the quest then CHOOSE to do it dont just choose it and bugger off and if u dont want to do it then u dont have to .... think about you choose to do a quest and then u just drop out . i dont think ure boss whud be very happy

He is posting to point out problems that the original Fable may have had which he would like to see improved in Fable 2. What he is trying to put across is that how can somebody be a real hero if he wanders Albion doing 'pointless' stuff when more pressing (plot related) matters need tending to. If your mother was in peril would you go and try to marry some chick? He is saying that when they create Fable 2 they should give you breathing room between each of the main plot related quests.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Ulicus said:
Wasn't Fable supposed to be free roaming originally anyway?

I'm always loathe to use Morrowind comparisons, because that game - for want of a better word, sucked. However, the "vast world to explore" idea is one that I'd really like to see Fable put some more effort into.

But Elder Scrolls Oblivion is great ;) i wasnt really a fan of Morrowind either BUT it did have some awesome ideas.

Ulicus said:
And Kato, I'm pretty sure Dark Drakan was saying "Though Fable doesn't seem like a free roamer now, if it was in the next few sequels, it would feel like an ingrained part of it." Not "Wait for a few sequels before it's included". Think about Q and James Bond. He wasn't in Dr No, but he was considered a fundamental part of the series after he'd been in about 20 of them.

Yeah that is what i meant, thanks for clearing it up.

U

Ulicus

weirdkidinabox said:
He is posting to point out problems that the original Fable may have had which he would like to see improved in Fable 2. What he is trying to put across is that how can somebody be a real hero if he wanders Albion doing 'pointless' stuff when more pressing (plot related) matters need tending to. If your mother was in peril would you go and try to marry some chick? He is saying that when they create Fable 2 they should give you breathing room between each of the main plot related quests.

Yup.

(Now why couldn't I have been so succinct?)

L

Leprechaunpoo1

Kato Si said:
free roaming is not the answer:realmad: free roam would be much harder 2 control things like enimies runing away like in the greatwood region were u hav 2 pay the bandits 2 let u pass>i nvr pay them;always killed 'em 1by1<and if u killed their leader the rest just ran away and if it was free roaming they wood just keep on runin; being much harder 2 make and control:unsure: do u kinda get wat im sayin

A

alanname350

I think all they need to do in fable, is to just make each area larger. The free roaming aspect seems to be a bit over used, and I believe it would detract from what it is trying to convey. A Fable, a story. So the levels to represent that would have to be somewhat linear. Think about it this way, when you think of a great fable anything, do you think of a book that goes from beginning to end. Or do you think of a Goosebumps "you decide what happens" kind of book.

K

Kalindor

I like this idea I mean you still would have to go to the hero's guild but you can go go everywhere and do what ever you want.

JBL

Saber
Reaction score

Free Roaming is really waht makes the game so great. Sometimes, I didn't feel like accepting a quest just yet, so I roamed around killing monsters, getting experience and money. I hope they keep the free roaming option open in Fable 2.

Skorm's Son

NECROMANCER
Reaction score

I'm always loathe to use Morrowind comparisons, because that game - for want of a better word, sucked.

MORROWIND DID NOT SUCK:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.