• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Future project

LAWLESS

Reaction score
Future project

Ey everyone, i am in the process of creating a video game that is simular to fable, however i want it to be one of the top 10 best games in the world. I would appreciate any advice, tips, or any ideas to help reach that goal. By that i mean character names, location names, story lines, plots, controller layouts, weapons, abilities, and just about everything else that can make it better. thank you

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
Re: Future project

You alone cannot make a game that is as spectacular as Fable, Halo or Gears. It takes a high budget and a team of extremely good developers.

I'd suggest starting off small and creating an Indie game, like the ones found in the Xbox LIVE Market place. I'd suggest downloading XNA to start making one.

My advice would be:
- Don't rush it. Good things take patience.
- Do something original.
- Make sure the game has perfect grammar. There's nothing more annoying than a Pokemon game saying "You have reciebed a Pokedex".

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score

Agreed, it'll take a very long time for you to make your own epic game, and you'd need more than just you to make it not take 20 years... and by then you'd have to update everything!

As stated above, make an indie game, go to game design school.

I myself have my own idea for a game, everything from combat system to mechanics and all that, just no actual mathwork. Heh, still I'd need a large team of developers to make that a reality, so the next best thing is gaming school!

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

I'm working on a MASSIVE and EPIC story, that's about the very destiny of everything in existence (making use of the Bubble Universe Theory). But I know I would need a whole studio and a lot of money to make it happen, so it's really just a dream... Meanwhile, I do some stuff on Game Maker, excellent for making simple games (that somehow can still be pretty damn deep).

And for tips for you... I wouldn't know. Except that my friend once told me that apparently there is an organization, or something, that just gives you money to make a game. =| Don't know how it works, though...

For the rest, what they say. And if it should really be one of the top 10 games in the worlds: Have a whole studio of programmers, willing to do what you want...

LAWLESS

Reaction score

Guess i didnt write what i meant properly, Id appreciate help with ideas for my future game. i know its gunna take alot of money and a team to put it all together but if i dont have anything to put together in the first place, than this is what its going to be like when i get my team together and alot of money. Hello team! hows everyones morning going? Great ! So as you know were all here today to start working on this game. which hopefully will be one of the top ten best games ever made in the world (Team member replies) "sounds good, so where do we start? (i reply) I dont know.... See what i mean? So again id appreciate any input, thanks.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

I see... Hm, 'will think about it. Meanwhile, I have my own awesome idea. >=D

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Make a good narrative - too many games focus on flashy effects and leave little substance. If it is to be an RPG, make the characters believable. Something PM is always saying in interviews is that he wants players to feel for their characters, to get involved emotionally. Take a good book, for example. If the author has any sort of talent, they make their story detailed enough to captivate the audience and draw them into the world they have created.

Think about the aspects of a game you like best and expand upon them. Consider the parts you feel are lacking in most games and include them in your idea. For example, I really wanted Fable to have a postal system similar to the one implemented by Viva Pinata - instead of this "meet me here" stuff with orbs, you can package up your item(s) and use a postal service which delivers to the gamertag in question even if they are not online at the time. They then pick it up when they log in. Really covers the time differences, in my opinion.

Find out what people want from a game within the genre you have chosen by asking a cross-section of the demographic you are aiming for. If you find out what the people want, you have more of a chance of pleasing them with your finished product. After all, they're the ones paying and playing so it makes sense to put in the things they want and like.

I'll tell you a game which has actually proved to be very successful despite not being detailed or deep or mainstream - Minecraft. It's still in BETA but I love it, glitches and all. On the surface it looks utter crap but it's very addictive and a lot of fun. It's just this one guy making it and he's given up his full time job to do it - people are downloading it all the time. Proof that it doesn't have to look pretty to generate both fans and money.

LAWLESS

Reaction score

Ill make one more attempt, for example, in fable theres no jump button but in my game there will be. Also im interested in making the right joystick for controlling your weapon and fists, also other weapons depending on how far you advance in the game which if your interested i can get more detailed about. As for story line so far i have; boy grows up in very bad economy. his town is demolished, buildings falling apart, crap schools and hes bullied all the time. he has one good freind that he trusts and hangs out with and the first thing that you must do in the game, is steal to make money or work to make money. these are the kinds of things i mean. Thank you

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

*shrug* well I tried :)

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

you can't do it alone, as dear joe has said.
your ultimate goal should be to make the gameplay wicked fun and addicting. play around with the physics, make the gravity shift at certain parts, make it a joy to play through. game studios usually have a writing team, a design team, an art team, and a gameplay team (maybe subdivisions of those). all of these people work extremely hard to make a game that is fantastic. doing it by yourself means that even if you got the absolute best tools and graphics and engines, your game would probably be outdated already when it was finished.

focus on indie games for now, and make your primary goal addicting gameplay. invite friends over, let them try it out! you can't judge it solely on your own impressions, it's important to get second opinions from other people.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

How old are you, Lawless?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

droded;427752 said:
How old are you, Lawless?

That's exactly what I was thinking. o_O'

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Believe it or not, you don't need a whole developing team or a humongous budget to make a game as epic as Fable or Halo or any other game out there. However, the graphics and gameplay will be very limited but you could create a story so grand that even with 8 bit graphics, would beat out some of the best modern games. It all depends on how determined you are to make something amazing and I'd advise that you write it all out beforehand.

Trying to come up with a story as you go along will end up leaving you with a terrible plot that has more holes it than swiss cheese.

Anyways, I myself have longed to make many games but since I know I'm not intelligent enough for college and lack the creativity to do any of that sort of thing, I'm stuck just wishing people like yourself the best of luck.