• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

GTA IV Tops Xbox Live

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
GTA IV Tops Xbox Live

We all saw this one coming as soon as the details came out about online play on GTA IV. Though i havent yet tried the online myself yet. :lol:

CVG said:
The Grand Theft Auto IV craze has hit Xbox Live, as the game has proven more popular on the service than former top dogs Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3, Microsoft told Next-Gen.

Activision's Call of Duty 4 and Microsoft's Halo 3 have been trading the first and second slots on Microsoft's Xbox Live activity chart for the past few months.

But Aaron Greenberg, director of product management for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, said that GTA IV, which just released on Tuesday, is the new king of the hill on Xbox Live.

"We had roughly 1 million users in the first 24 hours [of GTA IV's release] go online with the game on Xbox Live," said Greenberg.

The online attraction of GTA IV is staggering, considering that until now, GTA has always been focused on the single player, offline experience.

"It's been the number one game on Xbox Live since its launch, so it's knocked off Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4," said Greenberg. "At launch, our data shows that out of all of our members on Live, the majority of them were playing GTA IV.

"With a community of over 10 million members, that's pretty rare."

Microsoft measures the number of unique users per game on Xbox Live. Aside from multiplayer online sessions, single-player sessions are also taken into account in the Live activity rankings if the console is connected to the service.

Greenberg also said that 2 million GTA IV achievements were unlocked in the first 24 hours of the game's release. In addition, over 15 million Gamerscore points were added to users' accounts in the first day.

1.5 million cross-game invites also occurred during that period.

Microsoft has been keen to leverage GTA IV's strong online multiplayer component by including a one-month Xbox Live gold subscription with all GTA IV launch copies. The firm hopes the game will drive Xbox Live adoption. Gold subscriptions cost $50 for a full year.

"Our teams have been doing a lot of work in advance of this game, in fact, months. The operations team has been working on scaling our infrastructure around building and increasing our server capacities," he added.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Re: GTA IV Tops Xbox Live

Can't believe that Call of Duty 4 has finally been overthrown! :p But, for how long..?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

projectego;174517 said:
Can't believe that Call of Duty 4 has finally been overthrown! :p But, for how long..?

Im guessing that COD 4 and GTA IV will be switching places quite a bit over the next few months. GTA IV is the new game and a new concept for online so it will be ontop for a while, but ive seen people still playing COD 4 online on my friends lists.

Reaction score

The creators of Rockstar Games are British. Makes you so proud.

Amanda

I'M DE WEEEEINER!
Reaction score

Personally, I enjoy COD4 online more than GTA. All of my friends have been playing GTA though so it leads me to playing that online instead.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Amanda;174725 said:
Personally, I enjoy COD4 online more than GTA. All of my friends have been playing GTA though so it leads me to playing that online instead.

Ive seen a lot of my friends back playing COD 4 again already. I havent played the online for GTA IV still yet, still doing the missions and such. I saw the invite you sent me appear just as i was turning the console off, sorry about that. :lol:

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Oh, its really that good???!!! I want more opinions on this game.

poopgod350

KINKY!
Reaction score

gta 4 is awesome

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Triz;174727 said:
Oh, its really that good???!!! I want more opinions on this game.

Yeah it really is that good. :lol:

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

OURS HAS JUST ARRIVED NOW!!!!

See ya! :lol:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Angel;174781 said:
OURS HAS JUST ARRIVED NOW!!!!

See ya! :lol:

See you in a month or 2 then. :lol:

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

What can I say, the online is actually pretty awesome. Lots of funny moments and fun in multi-player mode, :lol: looking forward to playing against you again, Andy.

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score

GTA IV is really fun, but I see CoD 4 coming back in the near future.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Quite a few people I know have switched back to COD 4 for now...

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

Oddly enough, I don't know anyone that plays either.

Weird.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

I haven't personally played the online yet, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to play with any of you unfortunately.(PS3)

Orpheus where have you been? :O

runeblade265

Ultramarine Force Command
Reaction score

Most of my friends are playing GTA4. Me and my friends have alot of fun online in free mode.

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

droded;174954 said:
Orpheus where have you been? :O

Around. Lol. I've been checking the forums fairly often, just between real life and stuff I haven't posted much on any message boards.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Gikoku;174804 said:
What can I say, the online is actually pretty awesome. Lots of funny moments and fun in multi-player mode, :lol: looking forward to playing against you again, Andy.

Yeah we shall play again soon. :p

I forgot i had Steve and Matt muted from our COD 4 session a while back when we were all in the same room. Wondered why i couldnt hear them say anything for some time. :lol:

Amanda

I'M DE WEEEEINER!
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;174726 said:
Ive seen a lot of my friends back playing COD 4 again already. I havent played the online for GTA IV still yet, still doing the missions and such. I saw the invite you sent me appear just as i was turning the console off, sorry about that. :lol:

That's okay. :p

I've pretty much switched back to COD4 now other than when a bunch of friends are playing GTA IV.