• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I r b Going Away

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Denying that religion (read: Christianity) has set human development back hundreds, if not thousands, of years by oppressing and silencing people such as Galileo is plain silly.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Denying that religion (read: Christianity) has set human development back hundreds, if not thousands, of years by oppressing and silencing people such as Galileo is plain silly.
Human civilization actually got pretty intelligent during the Greek era. Once the Roman Empire fell and the dark ages begun, and Christianity began to spread as the dominant religion, a lot of that knowledge was lost and indeed science was supressed for quite a while, until the Renaissance came along.

Anyway, apparently there are more peopel leaving religions nowadays, than joining them, as mroe people come to the conclusion it doesn't really make sense. There are close to no people to make the conclusion that religion does make sense.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

I'd say all Abrahamic religion's in general has set the humans back for at least a thousand years, from the suppression of science, mass extermination's of past religions and the culture linked to them. Look at Ireland they celebrate yearly the fact that they converted to Christianity and the death of their history and Celtic culture is merely hidden as Paddy's genocide of snakes in Ireland (Snake's code-word for paganism duh)

One thing that I don't understand is America, once a land free of any one religion and allowing people to follow whatever they want, now being converted into a land more religious than Ireland, all the laws being made there against Atheist's and for Christians is ridiculous.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Because America was founded by Christians so hardcore they were prosecuted and booted out of Europe?

I dunno.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Most of them we're atheists, and just theists, the constitution clearly states religion separate from politics or something along them lines, the line 'in god we trust' wasn't put on their bills till Eisenhower was in office.

And I know loads of people are leaving Christianity, but still the 'liberty' that the country was built on is being sucked out by the christian laws being put into effect such as the sunday alcohol law John doe moaned about. If that happened in England I'm pretty sure 90% of England would riot.

:p

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
Religion is the psycho-sociological equivalent of the appendix; it once had a good purpose, but now it just sits there, waiting to do harm.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Correction Abrahamic religions, faiths outside of Christianity, Judiaism and islam are pretty stable & morally balanced with civilization, and don't have two thousand years of legalised war and cruelty.

Look at the greeks they had gods that raped each others sisters, and they didn't force people to go to church..... I think. :shifty:

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Really? Where?

It clearly doesn't state what you said it did. I talked about this before.

I was very vague, y'know me not being american and all that.

Come on gimme a break, its hard for an englishman to get a copy of the constitution, I'm just going off what I've read/heard/watched... and I've heard the constitution states freedom of religion, and that alot of laws are ignored nowadays and laws are passed which go against the constitution.

:/ Such as the thing you told me, its illegal to buy booze on sundays in certain states. I unno... one thing I do know is that Eve screwed us all apparantly.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
That question for real son? Even if you are as anti-religion as possible denying the importance of it is just plain silly.
EDIT:
Didn't see JohnDoe's reply up there.

I don't see it as a fundamental part of our life. Culturally, religion has played a huge part in inspiring awesome works of art. Scientifically, it's done a lot more to set it back than it has to push it forward.

Ilysm <3

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
One thing that I don't understand is America, once a land free of any one religion and allowing people to follow whatever they want, now being converted into a land more religious than Ireland, all the laws being made there against Atheist's and for Christians is ridiculous.

I'm just curious, what religious laws might you be talking about? It doesn't seem to me like the US is getting more religious. It seems to be getting less religious, along with lots of other parts of the world.

its illegal to buy booze on sundays in certain states.

It definitely isn't in whole states. It's only in select counties in much more conservative parts of the country, and I don't believe it's very common. I'd sh*t a brick if that law was in place anywhere in California.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that religion still sets us back socially and scientifically to this day. There is still hate toward homosexuals and bisexuals by religious people, and there is little doubt in my mind that if it weren't for religion, we would be able to cure cancer and AIDS by now through stem cell research.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, I've always wondered:

Can you refuse to swear on The Bible in an American courtroom, or acknowledge the "so help me God" part of the oath?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, I've always wondered:

Can you refuse to swear on The Bible in an American courtroom, or acknowledge the "so help me God" part of the oath?
I've always wondered about that. When they find out that I lied all this time, I can say that I wasn't forced to speak the truth all the time, because I don't believe in god and what the bible says, right? Don't get me wrong, I'd probably want to speak the truth, but they better give me good science book. Or even a piece of paper with a fact I'm sure of, like ''2+2=4.''

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I wouldn't really care about swearing on any kind of book. I'd much rather give them my word of honour that I'd be telling the truth than swear on some object. My own personal honour feels much more serious a promise.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
I wouldn't really care about swearing on any kind of book. I'd much rather give them my word of honour that I'd be telling the truth than swear on some object. My own personal honour feels much more serious a promise.
True that. Though, if I had to swear on an object, I'd choose a woman. :troll:

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I could even narrow it down to bodypart.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Could I swear on my friend's girlfriend's lost mother's boss' son's dead fish's father?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
In the states, there is no law that mandates that a person must swear on any book or under any god. For instance, the ceremony for the presidential oath as outlined in our constitution makes no mention of the bible or other holy book, nor does it say anything about any god. The same is true in the courtroom, you don't have to swear on a bible nor under any god. It's purely customary and makes no difference. In court, simply say that you would prefer to swear or affirm or attest or whatever, I forget what the term is, and they'll go through with it minus the bible.
THANK GOD. Wait...

On a slightly related note, whenever someone's arrested, apparently the people that arrested them say ''Anything you say can and will be used against you.'' I'd like to see what arguments they come up with when I say'' I love pie'', or ''2+2 does not equal 4'', or ''bring down the hippo outerspace hippo regime!''.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
In the states, there is no law that mandates that a person must swear on any book or under any god. For instance, the ceremony for the presidential oath as outlined in our constitution makes no mention of the bible or other holy book, nor does it say anything about any god. The same is true in the courtroom, you don't have to swear on a bible nor under any god. It's purely customary and makes no difference. In court, simply say that you would prefer to swear or affirm or attest or whatever, I forget what the term is, and they'll go through with it minus the bible.

I did a little research on my own and it turns out it is yet another Hollywood-fad; it is almost exclusive to courtroom dramas.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I just got one question for Hobbe - Soul Survivor or New Day? They're the only ones I can think of that are happening this week...

If it's Soul Survivor, go cow tipping. Just don't get caught. If it's New Day, try and hook up with RCC because they have alcohol. Lots of alcohol. Not that I'm encouraging underage drinking, but if you hate it all that much it may just pass the time quicker for you. Ask for Rob...he'll know who referred you. He hooked me up with prescription strength codeine last time I went camping with him...:steve:

If it's neither of these then I can't help you - just suck it up and then talk to your parents. You're getting too old to not be included in these sorts of decisions. It should be up to you if you want to go or not. Just saying.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Damn Sharon, you're making me want to go to these Christian get-togethers now....