• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Naming Children after Video Game Characters..?

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Acceptable or completely ridiculous? And if you were to do so (hypothetically speaking), what character name would come to mind?

I personally find it acceptable as long as the name isn't something utterly ridiculous (like Sub-Zero Johnson... although that does sound pretty cool, no pun intended) resulting in the child being easily picked on. I would automatically avoid ones like Bowser, Blobert, Waluigi, and Butz..

Given my surname if I named my daughter Zelda, I'd probably get away with it.. heck, Robin Williams did!

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Zeldas a fairly normal name, well to my ears it is..

Not because of the character, but I like the name Mordecai, but that is a gaming character and a TV series character too..

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Hmm, Mordecai sounds pretty badass actually.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I figure my kids will hate me for no rational reason anyway, so I might aswell give them one.

Zelda's nice and all. But if I want my kid to really hate me I'd have to name them Tingle. Tingle Kooloo-Limpah!

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
So...Bahamut would be...bad?

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I don't care. I'm naming my first born daughter GladOS.

Seriously speaking, I don't mind names like Angel (from Borderlands) or Elizabeth (from Bioshock Infinite), but what about Lilith? Would that make my daughter sound badass? And Axton would be epic...

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
I don't care. I'm naming my first born daughter GladOS.

Seriously speaking, I don't mind names like Angel (from Borderlands) or Elizabeth (from Bioshock Infinite), but what about Lilith? Would that make my daughter sound badass? And Axton would be epic...

I like Lilith, but not Axton.. I'd call my kid Handsome Jack

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
As a kid, I was convinced that Axel was the coolest name in the universe, just because of Streets of Rage.

I'm older now. And it's a crap name.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
There is a (in)famous Norwegian named Chewbacca.

Though I hope he changed his name and wasn't named by his parents!

Reaction score
I remember my Dad's old girlfriend saying she knew someone who's parents called him Darth Vader < WTFs up with that? o_O

This is my Albion

Reaction score
I remember an article about how a woman wanted to name her child superman. Not sure if she went through with it though.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I remember how Facebook said they would delete accounts with impossible names, and that some people couldn't get Facebook because they had weird names...

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I figure a name just has to sound nice.
My favorite video game name is Garrett, and that's a normal name so...
Zelda as a name is perfectly fine, though I'd still not name my kid that simply because of the reference.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
You may believe, you may not, but it is a true story..

So i've recently met quite a few people in the past few months because I joined a kayak club in my area, one of the guys is called "Obi", he is a raft guide, I thought it was just a nickname at the start, I got to know the guy a bit, he seems real fun, seems like he has done some crazy things in his life.. but anyway I asked people what his real name was, they then told me this story:

One time when Obi was on Acid with a few of his mates, they decided t owatchc star wars, by the end of it, they all changed their names, literally, went down to a name changing place and change their names, He changed it to Obi wan kenobi, one dude was Luke Sywalker and the other was Darth Vader, to this day Obi was the only one who kept his name..

Pretty funny, right? Haha

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
I'm just gonna avoid Ugly Chris from Red Dead Revolver.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Yeah Borderlands has been brought up quite a bit in this..

Sad thing is, is that I really like the name Lilith and Mordecai.. Like I would actually use them as my kids names.. Is that sad?

Oh and to answer your question Scotty, Yes, it is acceptable.