• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Penny Arcade Expo (PAX)... ever been?

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
I'm going to the PAX East expo in Boston next month and was wondering if anyone's ever been to it? I think there's also one in Seattle every summer. It looks pretty awesome and the price isn't bad at all ($35 per day or $55 for all 3 days). I bought the tickets as a surprise for my boyfriend and am super excited about it. If you've been to it before, I'd like to hear your thoughts about it, any suggestions for what to do while there, etc. In particular, I'm curious to know more about what kind of things they have there and how much of it is dedicated to console games vs. computer games/other games (Magic, D&D).

... Only 31 more days!! :D

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score
Nerdary....ENGAGE!!!

You'll see a bit of that of course. There is the costume parade, some focus on the digital games, but usually more a focus on the standard gaming atmosphere. Eh, I'd guess 45/55 or so. There's TONS to do...one day is usually sufficient for the lightweight, but multiple days gets you the total experience. It's fun. FUN.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
Nerdary....ENGAGE!!!

You'll see a bit of that of course. There is the costume parade, some focus on the digital games, but usually more a focus on the standard gaming atmosphere. Eh, I'd guess 45/55 or so. There's TONS to do...one day is usually sufficient for the lightweight, but multiple days gets you the total experience. It's fun. FUN.

Oooooohhh, I can't wait to revel in all the "nerdary"!!

... and I'm officially bestowing on you the award for making up better words than anyone else I know. So feel special!! :thumbsup:

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
sounds fun. i've never heard of this convention before, but do you think you could be bothered to post pics and talk about it some? :)
i've only been to one semi-nerdy convention, and it was a horrible disappointment.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
sounds fun. i've never heard of this convention before, but do you think you could be bothered to post pics and talk about it some? :)
Sure! There honestly doesn't seem to be THAT much info on the internet about it, but here are some links if anyone wants to check them out...

http://east.paxsite.com/ (the official site where you register and stuff, though the schedule isn't up yet)

http://www.hgpaxeast.com/index.php?title=Main_Page (the "Hitchhiker's Guide" to PAX East; has useful info from previous attendees, including stuff about the unofficial events people organize, like pub crawls, scavenger hunts, meals out on the town)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Arcade_Expo (good ol' Wikipedia!)

Upon my return from the land of baked beans and cream donuts, I'll be happy to give a full review and post some pics :D

i've only been to one semi-nerdy convention, and it was a horrible disappointment.

I hate when you get all amped up about something and it ends up sucking. Boooooo for that!! :'(

Drew2686

Reaction score
It is pretty sad when you think you're going somewhere awesome and it turns out to be a fethin' failure.

My brother has worked at PAX a couple times for WotC, and he always brings me cool stuff haha. You can youtube PAX too, like the parade, walkthroughs, etc. Some people have made really awesome outfits; the best I think was a big daddy and little sister (bf and gf to boot).

Gotta love booth babes! :p But no touch, you get ejected! One thing to watch out for is the creepy people (of course there will be plenty). If you intend to dress up in alluring ways, make sure your guy is with you at pretty much all times. There's nothing really to worry about, but the nerdiest who never get out and see, erm, good stuff!, will be wanting to take pictures with you haha.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
Gotta love booth babes! :p But no touch, you get ejected! One thing to watch out for is the creepy people (of course there will be plenty). If you intend to dress up in alluring ways, make sure your guy is with you at pretty much all times. There's nothing really to worry about, but the nerdiest who never get out and see, erm, good stuff!, will be wanting to take pictures with you haha.

Well, I'm already planning my hot outfit, so I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully I won't have to bust out my aikido skills and whoop some nerd ass! :steve: Hahaha!! :lol:

And while we're on this topic, I hope there's some booth DUDES too! It sucks when you're a girl who's into things that are considered "male" interests (video games, metal music) and every event you attend, magazine you pick up, etc. is full of half-naked chicks. I want to start seeing some strapping, near-naked studs. Show me some pecs and washboard abs! Pleeeeeease!!

[Okay, I'll get off my feminist soap box now :p]

Drew2686

Reaction score
Haha...well, you might. Anything's possible at PAX...

Beating up poor, defenseless nerds (despite their touchy/feeliness) would also get you ejected, which is entirely undesirable. Instead, win the day through cranial exercise and sic security on them!

Ah, unless you have already, I'd suggest reading Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress. It's a pretty fun book.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
Ah, unless you have already, I'd suggest reading Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress. It's a pretty fun book.

Hmmm...I've never heard of it, but I'll definitely check it out. Though I love a good video game, I'm really a book worm at heart. Thanks for the suggestion!! :)