• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Questions for Balls

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
So I study Politics at College and I'm going to get the opportunity to speak to the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer, Ed Balls.

(Shadow, CotE & Ed Balls all have separate links for explanations).

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had a question (preferably serious questions from British people (or other nationalities who have a genuine question) who are interested) they want me to put to him for them.

That will be all, thanks.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
... I have to be honest, I clicked this thread only to see what the hell "Questions for Balls" was.

I was marginally disappointed. I've been marketed to. How could I resist balls?

Here's a question... why is any position described as "Shadow [insert post here]" so much more boring than it sounds? I mean, really, you'd think that DC's Shadow Senator would be some kind of mind-clouding, crime-fighting badass who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. But no.

Seriously: ask him what evil lurks in the hearts of men. I realize that's not a serious question, but it's your own fault for seducing me into this thread.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I was disapointed by the content of this thread after reading the title.

On the actual question, I'll come back when I've thought of something.

EDIT: Thought of something. Why IS he actually called the Shadow Chancellor?

Azer249

Reaction score
Chancellor of the Exchequer, if i am correct, wasnt david lloyd george that title once? ask him about his opinions on how well he did his job, or was it churchill who was chancellor of the exchequer? meh one of them

EDIT: Nevermind It is David Lloyd George. Ask him about how well he did his job, this could acctuly prove usefull for my history coursework :O

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
Seriously: ask him what evil lurks in the hearts of men. I realize that's not a serious question, but it's your own fault for seducing me into this thread.
"other nationalities who have a genuine question"

Thought of something. Why IS he actually called the Shadow Chancellor?
I can answer that one. They're called the Shadow ________ because it is the position they would have if their party would have won the election. Their job is to "shadow" the current ________ and constantly scrutinise and criticise what they are doing, to give the public both an idea of how well the current ________ is doing their job and what the opposition party would have done in each situation.

EDIT: Nevermind It is David Lloyd George. Ask him about how well he did his job, this could acctuly prove usefull for my history coursework :O
I'll ask him that if the atmosphere is right, I'm pretty sure he'll be expecting questions about more current events :p

Cain

Reaction score
1. What are his opinions on the coalition?
2. Hows the Chancellor of the Exchequer doing at his job? (This could use better wording, but this is what I want to know)

Also, I didn't know you were British Shirosaki.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
2. Hows the Chancellor of the Exchequer doing at his job? (This could use better wording, but this is what I want to know)

Also, I didn't know you were British Shirosaki.
I'm Scottish to be exact :p

I'm sure both of your questions will be answered in one way or another (both answers will sound something like "crap") so I look forward to filling you in ^_^

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
EDIT: Thought of something. Why IS he actually called the Shadow Chancellor?

It basically mean's that he's the opposition's Chancellor. He's not actually in government, but that's his area of responsibility.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
You should tell him he has the coolest title. Ever.

Gitch

Reaction score
I'd actually like to know if he thinks the VAT increase is justified, that seems to be impacting on a lot of people just now.

I'd also like to know if he feels the government are being tough enough on banks or if they should be going even further.

Edit: I was also a little disappointed when I clicked in the thread to see it was about Ed Balls.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score
Naturally he thought that the coalition were doing things wrongly, and that his ideas were right. He was very professional about it though and basically said that George Osbourne (The Chancellor) is doing things such as cutting the deficit too quickly, which will lower the confidence of investors, and not help to reduce the deficit as effectively as a more long term plan which would have involved halving the deficit within 4 years etc.
I'd actually like to know if he thinks the VAT increase is justified, that seems to be impacting on a lot of people just now.

I'd also like to know if he feels the government are being tough enough on banks or if they should be going even further.
Mr. Balls thinks that the rise in VAT is not justified and is linked to the fact that bankers seem to be being treated softly. He did not mention project merlin, although he did say that if Labour was in power he would have continued the Banker's Tax and used the money raised from said tax instead of increasing VAT.

The atmosphere was not right to ask about David Lloyd George, although since he did later become Prime Minister I'm sure he did an excellent job in the eyes of the electorate.

Gitch

Reaction score
Thanks for asking the questions Shirosaki. He's probably still digesting Project Merlin himself.

Mr Balls seems like quite a decent politician. I agree with him the the current chancellor is trying to cut the deficit far too quickly.