• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Dog of Old Town

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score
The Dog of Old Town

I had an assignment in school to make a story with a surprising ending. It could be surprising whether you know Fable lore or not, but still I liked it. It's not the best thing, but I figured if I'm already making a story about Fable, I can just put it here. Thank you, and enjoy.

I was sitting on the streets. There was no food, no water, just misery. In the slums of Bowerstone, called the Old Town, lived all of us poorer folk. None of us had much of an education or we just couldn't make it big. I had sensed that there was something good going to happen, but I had no idea what exactly it would be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walking down the streets, I saw the friendly Barnum with his new invention, the “camera”. It was quite interesting. I smelled it curiously, and learned about it. He claimed to be able to click a switch to make a flash of light appear and suddenly, in only three months, there would be a fully developed “photograph” of the person. The whole idea of it baffled me. I barked at Barnum and wagged my tail with a gleeful hop. He turned and smiled, handing me some of the extra meat he got from his profits with the camera. He was quite successful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I continued walking down the streets, a bunch of children came up to me, with the biggest holding a large stick. He started wacking at me and calling me names. I could hardly even breath. All of the kids were either laughing or cowering from fear of being hurt by the large boy. A young boy and his sister came running by looking at me and scared away the large boy, protecting me, and letting me live in this town for another day.
Apparently, those two kids were looking for warrants because the Sheriff of the Old Town had lost them in the wind. I was walking all over Old Town, hoping to find some food. I wasn't supposed to go to the Market center, since only the well-off folk were allowed there, but I had an immense feeling that I would find something good there. Boy was I right! There were so many great things! Creatures like me aren't very common in today's society, so many people were amazed. I went to the Market's center where there was a large bell tower. I started to wag my tail and hop around. People stared at me, in an intrigued way. They threw all kinds of fantastic stuff my way. From one direction, came a chunk of meat, from another a glass bottle of water, and best of all someone threw a piece of paper that they must have mistaken for something else at me. It was one of the warrants! I picked it up in my mouth and ran back to the Old Town. I saw the two kids and dropped it in front of them, hoping to be rewarded. The young boy was hardly talkative, I feared myself that he was actually mute, but his sister turned to me and with a sigh said, “I'm sorry little doggy, we'd love to take you in, but we can hardly live for ourselves. Thanks for the warrant, though.”
I felt so rejected. I understood the hardships that the citizens of the Old Town were going through, but I thought that if I could help them get something they needed, they could help me. I guess nothing ever works out. I walked some more, even into the most forbidden area for poor folk, the Fairfax Gardens. These were the gardens in front of the great Castle Fairfax, where Lord Lucien lived. I was amazed that I wasn't kicked out immediately, and also ecstatic that I saw Lord Lucien walking outside. According to rumor, he hadn't been outside for a long time, because his family had recently died. I was completely amazed that he hadn't just been in his study, researching like all the people say he is. No one understood what exactly he was researching, but some say it was about an ancient society, one of Heroes and magic. That was obviously untrue. Something like that could never exist. I went up to Lord Lucien, and I could tell that even though he had circles under his eyes from lack of sleep and a crazed look from days of studying, he was in a good mood. He handed me a little bone he found on the floor and gave me a sturdy pat on the head.
Walking back to the Old Town, I saw the two children being tempted by a bandit, that was notorious for petty crimes, and was trying to convince them to give him the warrants. I ran up to him and bit him right in the toe. I barked at him so he knows who's dominant. He slapped me and ran off. He turned back and yelled, “Slimy bugger!” This made me upset.
“Poor doggy... maybe we were wrong about not taking him. But... we can't take care of him. Sorry again doggy,” spoke the little boy's sister with a frown. The kids proceeded to get the warrants to the Sheriff, they were getting their 5th piece of gold that they've been trying to earn all day to get some food. They got the gold, went to the food salesman, and were able to eat for the day.
I walked up to where they lived, behind a house in an open gazebo-like area with two bedsheets and thin mattresses. I was able to smell them from a mile away, and even though they stunk like month old fruit, I had some strange affection for them. I came one final time, begging and whimpering until they decided to let me sleep with them for the night. The next morning I awoke to find the young boy cold and lifeless, with his sister crying. He was covered in boils and vomit. The meat that they bought was disease-ridden, which caused death. I could start to see boils appearing on his sister, but I did not want to let her notice. I chose to stand by her side and just enjoy the last hours of our lives in peace.

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score
Re: The Dog of Old Town

LOL! You thought the ending was gonna be sooooo different, didn't you! Hahah! I win!

SonofRaiden

Thread Killer/Necromancer
Reaction score

YOU KILLED SPARROW!!!!!!!!

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score

Orlyyyy? Notice how it says,
The sherriff lost his warrants! Some sort of foreshadowing, if you're a Fable fan and you know the story.

SonofRaiden

Reaction score

never played fable 2. it never came to pc

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score

Yeah I'm a PC gamer myself, I just also have an XBox and PS3 sitting around

SonofRaiden

Reaction score

i have a ps2
and a pc

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score

PS2, PC, NES, XBox, PS3, Wii (I bought if for my sister), Original NDS (from the day after it came out), GameBoy Advance, GameBoy color

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

Yeah yeah, "your sister".

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score

I actually did
I had a bunch of GameStop giftcards and she wanted one as a graduation present

SqueakyPenguins

You sire, are a idiot!
Reaction score
I have PS2, PC, NES, X-Box, xbox 360, Wii, GameBoy Advance, GameBoy color, gamecube, some crap i brought cuz I was bored, PSP, and thats about the bulk of it.
Needless to say I only use xbox360, PC, and wii (Sometimes) now.