• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The game is aimed at "serious" gamers - Lionhead

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
fable_the_journey_header_982708565.jpg
Lionhead are adamant that Fable: The Journey isnt merely aimed at people who enjoy jumping around in front of their tv (ie those under 10 years old). After the cover art for the game was revealed (see here) Lionhead have released a statement saying the following:

Maybe this isn't the biggest news for all our fans out there, but it is a big moment for the development team. The box art signifies that we are working on a game now that will appear in shops all over the world and this is how you are going to spot Fable: The Journey in local retailers. Needless to say we are very proud of it! If you own a Kinect - or are planning on buying one in the near future - and you are a serious gamer who doesn't want to jump around their living room, then this is the game to look out for.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Too bad the Kinect module itself stands for the total opposite.

So.... yah.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Too bad the Kinect module itself stands for the total opposite.

So.... yah.

Kinect itself is much too imprecise to have anything to link it to serious gamers. When waving around and jumping around gains better results than precise movements something is wrong. Only time ive used mine is when watching DVD's and used the voice controls and hand gestures to move menus. Mainly because it makes you feels like your in Minority Report. :lol:

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Yes, it is aimed to the competitive Modern Warfare 2 fanboys. Soon enough "360 no-scope" will become "360 thunder spell eyes closed after night in the pub."

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
If I could afford (and had the room for) a KINECT, I would totally get one for this. It looks like fun. And I think Simon and Dene Carter have some valid points when they said this to Eurogamer earlier:

"It's unfair that game's getting a lot of stick," Simon Carter said. "It looks great. What they're trying to do, by marrying core gaming with Kinect, is obviously tricky. It's a difficult control mechanism to get into core gaming. I think they're doing a great job."
"We all know it's a franchise. We all know it's a brand," Dene Carter added. "The fact somebody wants to do something a bit different with that brand while we're waiting for the next big game, that doesn't seem like something people should get too angry about. If you don't like it, don't buy it."
Simon Carter explained, "When Mario Kart came out, nobody was going, what?! There's no jumping! That's not the next Mario game! What are you talking about Miyamoto! I hate you! I'm going to burn your house down and kill your children!"

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Except that racing was a true and tested genre. Kinect does not have such a solid foundation to stand upon.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
And it never will if people are too quick to brush off titles before they've even been given a chance to work. Everything has to start somewhere.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Hey now I've given it amply chance to impress me.

It just keeps failing to do so.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I agree with Tsuyu, Kinect has had plenty of opportunities to impress people, but it fell flat on its ass every single time. I was expecting Forza with Kinect to be kinda cool, not even close.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Kinect is a novelty. And novelties wear off. Just like the Wii.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I cannot really judge KINECT until I have tried playing The Journey.

Meh. Well, I suppose the Wii did make playing Twilight Princess pretty cool, but even with that game alone, the novelty still wore off.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Meh. Well, I suppose the Wii did make playing Twilight Princess pretty cool, but even with that game alone, the novelty still wore off.
The reason I hate the Wii is because it is Nintendo, and all the good games they can make are only Zelda, Mario and any other Nintendo franchise. Meanwhile on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and on the PC you can meet many new franchises which give their input and innovation in the game industry.

Wii cannot be compared to KINECT, not because they share the same ideology, but eventually all consoles wear out and are replaced by their new version or any new advancement. So far KINECT does not have many titles, who knows how The Journey will actually turn out, so far it is only smoke and mirros with voices of raging fans wanting a Fable game to be just like The Last Chapter.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Wii cannot be compared to KINECT, not because they share the same ideology, but eventually all consoles wear out and are replaced by their new version or any new advancement.

You can't use console generation as your logic here. Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and the Wii are all of the same generation. People still enjoy both the 360 and the PS3, the 360 alone has been the most popular console since its release in 2005. Whereas the Wii has more or less run its course. The novelty of it ran out, the 360 and the PS3 have never been novelties. True that when newer generations of those consoles are released, attention will be focused on them, but that doesn't mean people will stop playing and enjoying their older ones. I still play my PS2, afterall.

The Kinect, like the Wii, is an impressive piece of technology. But it lacks any form of core gaming potential. Fable: The Journey will try to be immersive, but let's be honest, it won't be. It'll feel like another party game.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
The Kinect, like the Wii, is an impressive piece of technology. But it lacks any form of core gaming potential. Fable: The Journey will try to be immersive, but let's be honest, it won't be. It'll feel like another party game.
We will see that when the time comes.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
You can't use console generation as your logic here. Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and the Wii are all of the same generation. People still enjoy both the 360 and the PS3, the 360 alone has been the most popular console since its release in 2005. Whereas the Wii has more or less run its course. The novelty of it ran out, the 360 and the PS3 have never been novelties. True that when newer generations of those consoles are released, attention will be focused on them, but that doesn't mean people will stop playing and enjoying their older ones. I still play my PS2, afterall.

Yeah, the Kinect is nothing more than a Microsoft cash-in on the motion-control craze caused by the Wii and it won't last. Time itself has already proven that as Nintendo are releasing the Wii U now to make up for it. Like Drakan said, the Kinect lacks proper accuracy among other things to be taken seriously by core gamers. The Kinect can't track feet properly in games like racers, shooters, etc.. so they have to turn them into an on-rails experience. How can an on-rails Gears of War or Forza Motorsport be taken seriously by a core gamer?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
How can an on-rails Gears of War or Forza Motorsport be taken seriously by a core gamer?

You cant immerse yourself into something where you have little to no control of movement and direction. Just being pushed along from one section to another with enemies and tasks thrown in between. I think the only way Kinect would be used by 'serious' gamers is if they already have Kinect and the 'serious' games have some features that use Kinect (like Mass Effect 3). Kinect exclusive games will always feel very gimmicky and party game like, but featuring Kinect might be the way forward.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
You cant immerse yourself into something where you have little to no control of movement and direction. Just being pushed along from one section to another with enemies and tasks thrown in between. I think the only way Kinect would be used by 'serious' gamers is if they already have Kinect and the 'serious' games have some features that use Kinect (like Mass Effect 3). Kinect exclusive games will always feel very gimmicky and party game like, but featuring Kinect might be the way forward.
So I was thinking about the statement that Molyneux made years ago in an interview about how someone could come back from an evening at the pub and easily play Fable due to its simple combat system controls. I wonder if they pictured drunk people playing Fable: The Journey, too.

TheDarkCynder

Reaction score
I have a Kinect. I love it. I think it's an amazing piece of technology. I enjoy using it, and using it is truly fun for me.

However, I can't help but stifle a laugh about this. An entirely Kinect-driven game does not, and probably won't ever, seem serious.

IMesh

99% Toxin Free!
Reaction score
I just can't take the Kinect seriously in any case.
Kinect -Requiring- games are just stupid in my opinion.
-Microsoft- Guy 1: Everybody, sales are down, we need a new console and we need it now!
Guy 2: What if it wasn't a new console... But something you had to pay an -Extra- amount of money to attach to your regular console!
Rest Of Microsoft: x_x