• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Slayer

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
The Slayer

The following part is based on a character I created while writing my first fanfiction and to be honest I could never leave that character to be forgotten, so here is a story about him with better writing.
Updates will be frequent for this story.

The Slayer:

The burning heavens watched down as they unknowingly cast their heat at those of the Witchwood Arena. A total of five thousand people had come from every corner of Albion for the final days of Saliek the Balverine slayer in the Arena. The young Arab had an extensive and impressive life in Albion but he had finally finished his research of his fabled ancestor ‘Faustus’.

He’d first been thrown in to the Arena sands against criminals, he’d been nicknamed ‘The Executioner ’ by the announcer due to his past days as a assassin, but soon came to be loved by the Arena’s crowd as the only name they could create ‘Saliek’ such a name the Arab thought, the people stupid, uneducated, but soon he came to love them and his new name.

Faster and harder opponents where tossed at the young swordsman, and they all tasted the foul end of his deadly blades. The young boy was first treated like a slave given rusted weapons and clothe that was meant to protect him, it did not. Eventually the crowd demanded Salieks freedom the Arab took it, and with freedom he left the Arena his home since he was taken captive there.

Free once again he’d missed it, surely killing innocents for money was a mistake it given him a bad reputation but he shook this idea off always, his killings had led him to the Arena a place were it seemed more like home than anywhere else, everywhere else seemed soulless.

During his two years he spend most of that time in the wild, he found one creature in the wild forests of Witchwood, these particular creatures made his blood boil from excitement ‘Balverines’ these fearsome beasts were black, furred, like the wolves from the forests to the east of Albion.

But they stood upright like men powerful as dogs and nimble as cats, he killed many of them. He became so engrossed in them that he learned their way of life more so than human life, people fear them, Saliek learned a obvious but overlooked quality that the wolves had ‘they never attack once they’ve fed’ and why would they? Their animals after all, leave them alone they leave you alone, provoke them and fight for your life.

The end of his two years out of the Arena, he met two of these Balverines one was black and greying, another was pure white “Glorious” he spoke softly as he stalked them. Such Beauty they have, truly a gift from what god is unknown.
The two beasts seen him and run at him to inspect the small intruder, Saliek looked at the white one as it looked back at him, its hair is so thick, its skin strong as steel, he’d broken many weapons trying to kill these two, their muscles flexing constantly.

Stronger than any barbarian you’d ever have the misfortune to see. The black one its eyes were yellow, piercing, the vision that these creatures possessed was Salieks dream, yet he knew the most he could have from these beasts as a trophy were their skins. Their nails sharp, edged thick as timber, Saliek looked at his blades he had took two short swords named Katana’s from the armoury in the Arena, this time with silver mixed with the steel, it seemed to hurt the wolves more.

The three of them stood in a opening in the forest of Witchwood, Saliek eyed his surroundings trees everywhere and a soft rain beating against the wet mud, you could smell the pine on the soft wind. The Balverines walked forward both to attack at the same time, Saliek readying his feet, his blades. He pulled his damp hood down from his darkly tanned face to get a wider point of view, his armour, if it could be called that, was simple brown leather mixed with bull fur to keep him warm.

The black beast kicked its legs to jump, Saliek seeing it then breaking with unnatural speed for a human, twisted and jumped rolling to the wet dirty ground, just missing the full blow of the wolf his feet got knocked by the fast wolf in the haste, it caused him to land face first in the mud.

He jumped to his feet before the wolf knew what had happened, he looked at it laying down for barely a second then broke in a sprint for the giant white Balverine, it looked at its mate on the floor and seen Saliek, in mid air with his swords facing downwards aimed for the beasts chest.

The giant swiped out with its claws but it was to late, Saliek landed on the Balverine with the swords dug deep into the wolfs chest it howled in pain, Saliek got Goosebumps from the loud pain filled cry his hairs stood on end, Saliek slightly moaning also it had cut his back the nails went in deep.

Both of them lie on the floor, the black one was at its feet once again. Saliek grabbed the tree they nearly crashed into and then grabbing the branches to lift himself, Saliek unsheathed another sword a rare one that he used only when necessary, it wasn’t at all silver but could make up for Balverine poison in its dangerous pointed edges.

The Arab ran at the black creature then stopping with lighting footwork sliding with the mud, and spinning in a 360’ angle slicing at the balverines throat as he spun, it fell to the floor with blood pouring from its neck. The giant still on the ground, the silver swords had worked and gone deeper than expected.

Saliek looked at them both and sighed he walked over to the white giant whom was stuck to the ground it didn’t even move when it seen Saliek. It looked at him with those bright yet darkly orange eyes, Saliek knew it was smart enough to understand what was going to happen, the beast looked at Saliek in the most calm way a Balverine had ever been seen, peaceful, the Arab dug is jagged blade into its head giving it the rest it deserved. These two had fought bravely for many weeks, bless their cursed spirits thought the slayer.

On from then Saliek wore the black Balverines skins as a sign of love and compassion for the beasts, and the great white Balverine, dismembering her was the hardest thing Saliek had ever had to do. But it was worth it, wearing the bones and skins of monsters says a lot, about a man mainly "I’m not to be f*ck*d with" but other words can be proclaimed.

The Arab certainly earned a mean reputation from killing and knowing Balverines, wearing the bones and red chain mail in battle he looked like a skinless white Balverine it send everyone running in fear from the demon encased in bone.

For ten years he has lived and fought in the Arena, thirty years of age now and he leaves us, this is his last battle among Albion. Down at the centre of the ring stood the immortalised speed demon Saliek, fighting a different opponent for once, a earth Troll.

The barbaric green and brown brute tossing clumps of sand at the small fighter, who dodged them mostly, Saliek stood there in the centre reaching for an arrow from his back to load into his short bow he’d been sending arrows whizzing for all morning. Swords blurring the sight of his enemies and his feet dancing like a madman of war send the crowd in constant roar.

He hated magic apart from the few spells he trusted, but aside from his own, he despised magic and that’s exactly what these Trolls are, shadow magic keeping an element together, keeping it alive. Saliek wore his Bone armour, the skull fixed on his head, the ribs, the spine, everything and where bones couldn’t fit, red chain mail making him look like bone and muscle, horrifying even to a Troll.

Running, attacking, defending, every movement was a dance of death, with no waste of energy every time he moved his blade blood spilt, twirling weapons, blood flying, the speed demon was his favourite title and he truly did deserve it. The man could reach you before you blinked.

Without the magic he’s divinely skilled with a blade, and his feet, but with it he is Skorms champion nothing is left breathing, he bathes in the blood of his targets as he cuts them down.

The Crowds noise was beyond deafening no wonder heroes fear coming here, only a select few can withstand the thunderous roars of the crowd, Saliek is one of the few who gets better as the crowd gets louder.

His feet never stop, running up to the troll he rolled from an oncoming bolder hurled by the Troll. Then letting loose a stream of arrows at the fat thing, the arrows went straight into the monsters stomach, and when it tries to block the arrows they go to its hairy arms. The Troll was full of arrows. Saliek with no more arrows tires of long range combat, and goes in for the kill, he furiously dashed at the Troll.

Coming close the Troll punched out at tiny Saliek, only to find that he ran up its arm, the Troll begins to panic, Saliek gripping onto the arrows lodged into its back, while removing a old friend from his back hilt “Vipers Fang” a true meaning of the word legendary weapon. The sword handle is a black snakes head with the eyes being blue gems the snakes hood was the hand guard, the blade ridged, jagged, deadly.

He held on to the neck of the Troll and jumped to the giants face, while stabbing and slashing madly at its chest, it bled, it cried, and Saliek laughed at the monsters cries. The Slayer pushed himself off the beast with the compact power of his legs, sending the Troll stumbling, it gathered its feet and charged at Saliek. The Arab jumped up and landed on the sand hard signalling and taunting the dumb thing to come faster, it didn’t like it,the earth Troll began screeching.

It came to contact with the slayer, but Saliek darted behind the monsters legs slicing at its knees, it fell to one knee, while the Arab run at it from behind, sprinting up its back and jumping from its head in mid air turning to face the beast and deliver his blade to its skull, The blade cracked and sawed through the beasts head, it fell dead to the floor....
-----------------------
Comments would be lovely :wub: and yes this is a story not a short story :D
Remember I have a website, read my blog for updates, I have a tonne of fiction on there.

So feel free to check it out the links in my sig.

Bu what do you all think of Saliek? :blush:

Hermit

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Re: The Slayer

Well what did you think? Good or bad?

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

The previous part was the prologue.

Chapter One

The crowd sent themselves in a sting of shock as they made more noise than had ever occurred at the Arena, the ground seemed to shake from it. The holding cells, the armoury, the hall of heroes, all over the Arena you could hear the booming sound of five thousand shouting beyond their volume. Saliek down at the centre of the ring, was pushing at the dead Trolls head with his feet trying to pull his blade from the beasts skull, even he was nervous from the roars. “This is what immortality feels like?” he spoke through his helm to himself barely hearing the words, “its epic” smirking as he said it, embracing his slightly nervous state.

The white clad swordsman felt a motion from the sword, at last he thought it was moving, the blade slid out of the Trolls head with blood pouring from the open wound. He sheathed his weapon back to its hilt, and began walking back inside away from the constant cries of the crowd missing him already as he walked into the preparation area the room that led from the hall of heroes to the ring.

A guard shut the door behind Saliek as he entered the room, the guards huffed at the sound of the now quietening sound of the crowd. The Arab walked over to a table in the corner of the rectangular chamber filled with fighters, traders, and blacksmiths, he walked to his area of the room where his coach sat. The old man was bald with a very simple beige cotton shirt with brown leggings on him, he passed a flask of water to Saliek, “thanks” spoke Saliek quietly as he removed his helm showing his dark skin and black fine hair, he placed the helm on a table, then pouring water over himself, the blood washed away from his bone armour.

The man smiled while sighing also “I don’t know how this place will cope with out yer lad, I really don’t, there’s not a single fighter here worthy of the champions seal.” The warriors around the room glanced cruelly at the old man, he gave a quick laugh back at them. “Where about is this city?” he enquired at the panting Arab, “east, the books I’ve been studying tell of Faustus coming from a country to the far east of the world, were people ride camels rather than horses.” Replied the tired fighter as he removed his chest piece and chain mail.

“Camels? What in Skorms hell is that?” laughed the old coach, “I don’t remember, all I can recall is oceans of sand and the heat, a dying memory” chuckled Saliek. “Did your parents ever tell you the name of their country?” asked Salieks trainer, “probably, but I might have been to young at the time, wasn’t much of a chance to soak in my heritage I was merely three and I was brought to this country, still its been an intriguing journey.” told Saliek as he sat down pouring water over his arms and face.

The Arena was empty now, Everyone but Saliek and the guards on patrol were left. “So quiet” Said a guard to Saliek as he sat on a stone bench looking down at the ring. Saliek smiled, “you on your break?” Asked Saliek, “yer, it’ll be a long night especially with the performance you gave it‘ll have me thinking of that fight all through out the night haha!” laughed the guard as he placed his sword below the bench. Saliek removed a thin black long coat and threw it on a bench, beneath it he wore a cotton shirt open at the chest and rolled up sleeves revealing his dark skin with simple brown pants and boots these were rare clothes on the Arab he usually only wore clothes like this in private.

“Which fight? The Troll? Or the Nymph clan?” asked Saliek always wanting comments from his fans. “The Troll was a good fight, but the Nymphs were amazing the ring was lit up with every possible colour I can imagine” spoke the guard softly as he removed his cap and gazed at the many stars of the night sky, entranced in its unknown beauty.

“Hey we best get going” Rushed Saliek, as he pushed the guard to his feet. “Why what’s the rush got somewhere to go, I thought your ship didn’t arrive till tomorrow?” asked the guard at the Arab. Saliek pointed to the moon, “its very late, the arena isn’t that quiet around this time if you catch my drift.” stated the Arab at the guard.

“You mean the noise of a night comes from out here?” wondered the guard, “no down there” Saliek said as he pointed down at the ring, the guards always heard noises from the ring of a night that’s why they avoided it, everyone did except Saliek and the new guard that Saliek had dragged along for a quiet chat.

The guard began gathering his belongings, grabbing his sword and cap, and running for the nearest exit from ringside. Saliek laughed at him, no one would dare to see the splendours of the Arena in its darkness. Stupid all of them thought Saliek as he walked down the steps, wanting to get closer to the ring, he got to the front row seats and sat down. “Ancient, forgotten, immortal, fresh, all variations of souls live in the twilight of the Arena.” he mumbled to himself, seeing the Arenas history literally come alive. He pushed his fringe back waiting for a long dead barbarian…
---------------------------------

Well what do you guys think?
I'd love all feedback.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

I'll have a new part up within the month :ninja:
But for now I'd love and kill for your comments, feedback, what you liked what you didn't, etc.

Hermit ^_^

P

Peter Parker

I found it kind of clichéd, but good nonetheless.
I look forward to the next installment!

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

Cliched? Some explanation on that please, in which and what way is is cliched?

Thanks for reading any who.

Hermit

Dr KillJoy

Dark Paladin
Reaction score

that was actually intresting

P

Peter Parker

Cliched probably isn't the best word for it, but, it feels like a familiar area, if you can grasp what i'm trying to say.

I'm not trying to come down on your writing or anything, it is good. it just feels.. over detailed maybe.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

Over detailed? :D thanks. Personally some people don't like detail to the very eyelash, but I see it as a good thing, hell I know more writers that are more detailed to the point that it puts me off reading, but a little bit is needed well at least I think it is.

And thanks dr kill joy :)

Hermit

O

O'Malley-Bomb

I thought it was interesting.
Well done.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score

heavy footsteps crunching the sand could be heard from the captives side of the ring.Always sound before sight, thought Saliek. He closed his eyes hearing a cry of the barbarian, always the barbarian lost, and died, to die every night for eternity far worse than any hell surely. Though what killed the axe wielder was astonishing…. Nothing, or something that couldn’t be seen. Old myths tell of other ghosts though Saliek only ever seen one sided battles, creatures and men who die by something or someone not there.

A wild breeze sent a chill up Salieks thin cotton, he grabbed his coat and headed to the exit, leaving the mystery of the sands twilight. Saliek paced himself, looking, smelling, tasting all the arena had to offer. The hall of heroes had been closed for a near a millennia, the world beckoned for heroes, so much that they sought it in murderers for idols, why?

The doors were locked as always, the key lost, how did the arena survive without heroes? Saliek slammed the door and dropped to the floor, forever wanting to see the glories beyond his own self. Laying there on the floor his eyes shut Saliek heard the guards laughing and joking, the occasional howl of a wolf behind bars, the grunts of a Hobbe. Saliek opened his eyes and painfully trudged on to the library, so quiet he complained, yet so loud, the crowd remains in his mind, in a way this pained him, to be in solitude and still hear thousands of voices calling.

Why? Why, was the question, but he needed the answers, why the arena to feel like my home, yet pain me to be in it. He started to weep, no heavy breathing occurred, he arrived at the library, empty as always. He sat down at the collection of books he placed down earlier in the morning.

Archives of the arena, a old librarian used to teach him about the past champions, Saliek was obsessed with one Faustus. Marcus the librarian had told him of Faustus in his second month of imprisonment of the arena. Marcus had been Salieks only friend, they read books together, through night and day, there was of course nothing more for a prisoner to do. Saliek read of such great heroes as Nostro, Thunder, Holdr, and the previous imprisoned assassin that came before him, Faustus.

Marcus had told Saliek how he reminded him of Faustus. Salieks mind began to fall into a old memory.

“From the readings the old bull Faustus fought exactly like yer, hmm you do look a lot like him, he used a single sword however, this” Saliek recalling the old man pointing the weapon out.

“The arena owners after Faustus death dubbed it Vipers Fang, a magnificent piece of steel eh. Says here he was the first assassin to be caught but also the most notorious” Marcus sighed in that deep wheezy breathe of his.

Saliek shook himself out of the past and into the present, then searching through the books, a reading was found of a letter, in Faustus’ will the only saved information directly linked to him, the letter wrote.

I approach the end of the first season of this arena, a truly grand building, Nostro was a great man to have ordered its construction. I however linger here among his heroes… no longer I carry murder on my mind, assassins have no quality and its true, I don’t have quality.

The past few weeks have been exciting, seven heroes felled to my blade, I will surely be a choice of first arena champion.”

Most writing was worn and weathered away, most of it unreadable. Saliek had been studying these books for near a decade from what he could understand Faustus was a assassin in the old kingdom, apparently he even came close to Jack Of Blades once.

He’d arrived in Albion from a distant land to the south or east, a hot arid valley filled with sword masters. Salieks interest only grew on Faustus when he’d learnt he’d come from the same country or something close to it. The bonus of the man being described as short, ruthless, violent, and fast excited Saliek more so even Marcus was astonished at the close likeness between the two men.

Hundreds of years separate these two, could it be a coincidence? Could two assassins from the same country arrived at the same place, Saliek didn’t believe this, although this was all theory.

Saliek began to exit the arena and walk back to Knothole Glade in the morning the ship would arrive, Saliek thought over many things could he possibly find his home, if so it would offer many answers.

The morning sunrise shined red and Saliek lay asleep in his bed, the covers barely on him, his naked frame available to any in sight. His hair scruffy and greased sticking up, he awoke slowly, peacefully, something not done in years. He lifted himself up and sat on the edge of his bed, twisting his arms, stretching his muscles for the day ahead.

He looked out of the window, which was open, to see the ship on the islands harbour, a small vessel he thought, barely fitting to sail. The door of his room opened, a young maiden clad in cheap cotton and loose leather entered, “geh readi huh” she told firmly Saliek looked at her pondering, “Naw!” shouted the scruffy woman, Salieks face lit in shock he instantly began to dress, fear gripping him, this woman did not flinch at the sight of his naked self, nor did she knock, how perverted he thought while smirking.

Chapter 2

Exiting the tavern the woman kept pushing Saliek whom was still getting dressed, hopping on one foot down the hill trying to put his boots on. Saliek still in shock, nobody had ever treated him like this, “My hairs still sticking up” moaned Saliek.

The girl slapped him “Yar soun’ lik a littl girl, hurri up huh, tha ship be gon in a hour!” she moaned.

“What time is it?” Asked Saliek.

“ate a’clok” she replied, Saliek groaned, maybe she meant eight o clock.

They carried on out of the town an through the forest, ignoring all asleep, which at this time was everyone including the inhabitants of the forest. They arrived at the ship, and climbed aboard, “Welcam abord Salik” Told the woman, “I be yer cap‘n, cal me Sarah, yar quartars ar’ belo dek, yar need knot worri yarsef wit yar belongin’s ma men alredy took tha liberty of collectin’ it.” she mumbled while shouting other things that Saliek didn’t understand.
Saliek walked on and found a empty spot with shade and sat down trying to get back to sleep, while rubbing his head.