• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Too many gimmicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
Too many gimmicks?

Is it just me, or is PM always more interested in implementing new gimmicks into his game rather than solid storytelling and character development?

That was my major disappointment with Fable 2. Lots of new gimmicks, most of them glitchy, and a very ordinary storyline that was told rather blandly.

Twenty sided gives a very good overview of it: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2105

The new interviews also focus a lot on the gimmicks. They did say the story would be good, but they said that of Fable 2...

My greatest frustration was with Lucien Fairfax. He had great potential as a villain, and he turned out to be a textbook, bland bad guy.

I don't have too much hope of the Fable 3 villain being more developped, considering his line in the preview... "This is my Albion. Its people will do as I say, or they will die."

I'd also like to see some real consequences for our choices. There was nothing in Fable 2 that could not be fixed with a little patience. I could slaughter a whole town, drive the economy into the ground, and one hour of bartending later everything was back to normal. Great economy, all the people magically respawned and my halo back on my head after giving a beggar a million gold.

How is that supposed to make me worry about the consequences of my actions? It's too easy to play yoyo with the good/evil stuff.

anain12

Reaction score
Re: Too many gimmicks?

You're right.

The choices didn't make any difference. The villain sucked. And the story wasn't anything special.

That's why Fable was better than F2. The villain was evil. He killed your father and your mother and he took your sister's eyes. Now that's evil! He also had a giant sword.

Bluedrake

Reaction score
Re: Too many gimmicks?

The only meaningful choice in the whole game was the sex change potion. I know most people hated it, but I don't think this one would have been so hated if the game hadn't gotten us used to cheap, easily reversible choices throughout the game.

If every choice up to that one had been meaningful and had serious consequences, this one would have gone over more easily.

Less cheap gimmicks, more depth please.

Status
Not open for further replies.