• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Well, ive had just about enough.. *spoilers*

C

Campini

Well, ive had just about enough.. *spoilers*

Well, after enduring my broken Xbox after popping in fable II soon after I got it, the lack of DLC in my copy of fable II, and FINALLY, playing the game for about 50 hours and building up my hero and his wealth and real estate ownership I kicked a chicken behind the goddamn fence in the "A Perfect World" part, and everytime I loaded up the game the same ****ing chicken was behind the same ****ing fence, giving new meaning to rose's words "only one left! Ill bet he'll be a real pain!". If only she knew...
So anyways I started the game up AGAIN, already kind of tired of it, and went through it half-assed just to find out the ending and I was let down in a way I cannot describe with words by the slapdash replete-with-references-but-nobody-knows-what-they-mean ending. I think all you people who are reading into this with storylike theories about the first game tying in with this one and the like are reading into it too much, i think its just as nonsensical and thrown-together as it seems. Why is theresa still alive? Why did she tell the hero to buy the music box in the first place, putting this whole thing into motion? Or if it was on purpose, couldnt she have employed a less roundabout method of achieving her ends? If she did do it on purpose, why did she grant YOU the wish, instead of taking it herself, as it seems to be implied that she wants the next wish the spire will grant? (which would be many many years in the future, wouldnt it?) All you people who worship peter molyneux like a god are out of your minds. Hes just some guy who wants to make something "EPIC" and probably identifies with George Lucas and J.R.R. Tolkien or that Harry Potter lady ("Im going to write seven books" - Harry Potter Lady --- "Im going to make five fables - Peter Molyneux"). But huge mysteries are NOT GOOD STORYTELLING. You have to TIE UP ALL THE LOOSE ENDS. And goddamn it, we deserved a nice final boss battle! Not just "press A to use the music box"! How did this game get a 9.5 on IGN? Peter Molyneux, I hope you get fired before you have a chance to make your third fable and leave us with more stupid questions that will be answered half-assedly in like 10 years when "fable five!" is made.

Edit: I just kind of typed this up after being ****ed off by the ending. One thing to add: Lucien isn't really that bad, he just wanted his family back at first, then thought about what he could really do with the spire (as in garth's beggars and bread metaphor) and wanted to make a perfect world, but all these aspirations seem pretty noble to me (except for the fact that the old world would be destroyed etc) but is that really that bad? Even all the people who died on the spire, in the end they died working to achieve YOUR selfish wish (if you picked gold or family) or if you picked sacrifice you brought people back to life just as lucien would have done with the spire. So in effect isnt your character just as evil as lucien? Which is why Lionhead/PM needed to explain the story more. Like he said "do you think your the only one who ever suffered loss?" Everyone suffers loss. In the end your just using the spire for your own selfish measures, OR to achieve a lucien-esque "perfect-world" type goal where everyone has their family who died back. I hate to say it, but bad things happen. People die. Some people are just born into this world to suffer tradgedy after tragedy until they die.

But they did do a good job throwing together a story that didnt *look* like it was thrown together to the average fable fanboy. If you read into it enough, it *appears* that peter molyneux has some master plan for an "epic" conclusion. And maybe he does, but we shouldnt have to play through five games to get there.

C

Campini

Re: Well, ive had just about enough.. *spoilers*

Well, as miffed as I was, I forgot to be fair and include all the things they did right and all the fun I had playing the game. It DID deserve a good review for all the things they did right, but the storyline deserves nothing more than a 5.0 at best and a 2.0 at worst, and the storyline is the centerpiece for most games. However, I think this game would have been better if they had skipped on the main story all together and merely made the game about your personal choices in-game (good or evil, neutral etc) and made mini-stories that had to do with the consequences of those choices. I think the story was perhaps a last minute effort to appeal to the mass market of gamers, because a game without a story doesnt sound too entertaining (even though in this case, it is). Doing everything ELSE fable II offered besides the story was loads of fun for me, and this game is great if your looking for open-world fun.

moonfever

Premium
Reaction score

Take the safety off, and use lightening on the chicken. That should get rid of it.:)

X

xSLip

Campini;230537 said:
I kicked a chicken behind the goddamn fence in the "A Perfect World" part, and everytime I loaded up the game the same ****ing chicken was behind the same ****ing fence, giving new meaning to rose's words "only one left! Ill bet he'll be a real pain!". If only she knew...
So anyways I started the game up AGAIN, already kind of tired of it, and went through it half-assed just to find out the ending and I was let down in a way I cannot describe with words by the slapdash replete-with-references-but-nobody-knows-what-they-mean ending.

You do know that all you have to do is wait for it to get dark and go to sleep right? Those little activities are just there to pass time.

C

Campini

Well crap... i tested out your theory (not the lightning one, you cant use will in the perfect world segment.. your a child again) but the one about the time-passing activities, and it seems you are correct. I thought the chicken herding was required to pass onto the next area. Seems i started over for nothing hehe... well at least now my rich 100% good 100% pure hero is restored to power 8) And ill say it again, I was a bit harsh in my critique of the game, it was mostly meant as a critique to the storyline. Lots of work and love were put into the game design elements, its just that the story sucked and I expected alot more in that department. Im still having fun with my hero(es), and now after picking sacrifice with my first playthrough, I know to choose love because sacrifice and riches are total gamebreakers (I love my doggy and cant live without 'im!)

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

after going through what you did id be double as ****ed as you were, i think that crap they call the main storyline is just part of a much bigger story that will take until fable 5, which makes it interesting but not if it costs a game pionts in the ratings.

just having a boss battle at the end wewd have made so many more ppl happy

Silent420

Proud Progressive
Premium
Reaction score

I kinda wanted a final boss to but I didn't even think about it until i read your post, I loved the game and wished it was longer and hate that it will take so long to tie things together.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

yes i agree^ the storylines shewd be much much longer and they should withhold stuff to keep it interestingbut still not just leave us hanging

C

Campini

I think Lionhead's logic behind this was "hey, we havnt thought about the storyline much since we spent all this time on choices and gameplay and such (which are good things) so we'll throw together a slapdash story that leaves open a gazillion options on fable 3's story so we can make it whatever the hell we want when the time comes round". Just reading some of the other forums with all these fanboys insane "theories" on what the story means makes me seethe with anger. And yes, I was actually so ****ed at the chicken thing that I broke a controller (a'la ninja gaiden black). But what about all the questions as to lucien vs. your character? theyre both pretty much the same if you read my original post under the "edit:" part. All those people died in the spire to fulfill YOUR selfish wish for family or greed, and if you chose sacrifice your doing the exact same thing as lucien with the perfect-world no-death thing. And if theresa planned the whole thing from the beginning with the music box (telling your character to buy it in the beginning thus setting the whole thing into motion) then why didnt she just grab the wish instead of granting it to your character? And with all her powers of teleportation and future-reading and such wouldnt she have figured out an easier way to do all this? And why the **** is she still alive? I think they just threw her in there so thered be some "mysterious" connection to fable 1, so some big-headed developer (peter molyneux) would think he was making something "epic". But in my mind this was just another fun-but-average game and I plan to quickly move on to another. Also another thing I was sorely disappointed in was that your choices really had NO effect beyond what the townspeople thought of you and several different quests (literally several, like 3 or 4) that differed if you were good or evil (free the slaves or help the slavers!?!?), it all worked towards the same end and the main characters reacted as if you were god's gift to man even if you went around slaughtering just as many innocent townspeople as died in the making of the spire.

Zarked: on your picture of jack of blades tombstone (come back soon, etc): Reoccuring villains is NOT GOOD WRITING. It shows an utter lack of creativity and integrity. Jack is dead. He should stay dead. New and interesting villains should emerge, not the same old crap.

and it DOES NOT make it "interesting" to have to wait until fable 5 to find out the conclusion. Maybe im biased since I'll most certainly be dead by then, but still, every game made, regardless of whether its a part of a set of five, should have an entertaining story with all the loose ends tied up. If Peter wanted to make an epic story spanning five games he picked the wrong platform, books or movies or even a television miniseries would have been a better choice. In those forms its more acceptable to leave a zillion unanswered questions and mysteries.

Edit: Im playing Dead Space right now, and its pretttttty damn sweet

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

I like massive story arcs full of mystery and intrigue, where you never really know what's going on till the very end. I live for that "Uh haaaah" Moment.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

In tags so as not to ruin any parts for people:
Even if I'm in the minority, the ending was spot on for me - really was. I had a total "what the hell??" moment when I turned back into a little boy and thought "please tell me they aren't making out like it was all a dream or something coz that would be worse than lame" and then went around shooting bottles, still in a bit of a daze, until bed time. It wasn't until I followed the sound of the music box and left the nice farm for the burning and bloody scenery outside that I thought "actually, I'm starting to really enjoy how they've done this".

As for no big boss fight - I could not have been happier. I've already told several people I know who haven't yet reached the end that they probably won't like it, but for someone like me, it's perfect. I was dreading a big showdown with spawning enemies like with Jack of Blades (something which I still cannot do) and didn't feel at all cheated by how you defeat Lucien. Personally, as someone who sucks at games, I felt an enormous sense of achievement and involvement in how the whole thing wrapped up and I feel that Peter Molyneux did what I wanted him to do - make an excellent RPG which is fully accessible for the less-adept gamer, such as myself.

Sorry guys, but I really really loved it :D

C

Campini

Exactly. That "uh HAH!" moment, as arseface specified. And it never came. It was more like a "huh?" and was dissapointingly anticlimatic. And also if the plot was meant to be that you were a pawn in theresa's plan to control the spire, then the whole thing reeks of BioShock in RPG land, except BioShock had a satisfying "uh HAH!" moment. Maybe some people are satisfied with gameplay alone, but I too live for that "ah hah!" moment (which must be supported by good gameplay of course).

Edit: I know ive monopolized this post to the point of annoyance and such, but i must add one other thing. The "series" type games where theres no "ah hah" moment until the last game in the series cater to young gamers who will be around to play the last game. I too am young, but i have a terminal illness which mean ill probably be dead by the time the moment comes

C

Campini

Angel;231042 said:
In tags so as not to ruin any parts for people:
Even if I'm in the minority, the ending was spot on for me - really was. I had a total "what the hell??" moment when I turned back into a little boy and thought "please tell me they aren't making out like it was all a dream or something coz that would be worse than lame" and then went around shooting bottles, still in a bit of a daze, until bed time. It wasn't until I followed the sound of the music box and left the nice farm for the burning and bloody scenery outside that I thought "actually, I'm starting to really enjoy how they've done this".

As for no big boss fight - I could not have been happier. I've already told several people I know who haven't yet reached the end that they probably won't like it, but for someone like me, it's perfect. I was dreading a big showdown with spawning enemies like with Jack of Blades (something which I still cannot do) and didn't feel at all cheated by how you defeat Lucien. Personally, as someone who sucks at games, I felt an enormous sense of achievement and involvement in how the whole thing wrapped up and I feel that Peter Molyneux did what I wanted him to do - make an excellent RPG which is fully accessible for the less-adept gamer, such as myself.

Sorry guys, but I really really loved it :D

Im sorry my friend, but you should stick to movies, books, and television (or perhaps interactive dvds would be perfect for you as they start making those more and more) because games are all about (or supposed to be all about for me anyway) skill and feeling like youve accomplished something challenging and rewarding, not feeling like youve walked through a movie with a controller. Thats how I felt during the final battle.

S

Scarletsmoke

i read about three lines an got bored, whats ur beef with fable 2? its only a game ffs >.<

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Campini;231044 said:
Exactly. That "uh HAH!" moment, as arseface specified. And it never came. It was more like a "huh?" and was dissapointingly anticlimatic. And also if the plot was meant to be that you were a pawn in theresa's plan to control the spire, then the whole thing reeks of BioShock in RPG land, except BioShock had a satisfying "uh HAH!" moment. Maybe some people are satisfied with gameplay alone, but I too live for that "ah hah!" moment (which must be supported by good gameplay of course).

Edit: I know ive monopolized this post to the point of annoyance and such, but i must add one other thing. The "series" type games where theres no "ah hah" moment until the last game in the series cater to young gamers who will be around to play the last game. I too am young, but i have a terminal illness which mean ill probably be dead by the time the moment comes

Aww see now it's all akward....

That sucks though....

Yeah...

Campini;231051 said:
Im sorry my friend, but you should stick to movies, books, and television (or perhaps interactive dvds would be perfect for you as they start making those more and more) because games are all about (or supposed to be all about for me anyway) skill and feeling like youve accomplished something challenging and rewarding, not feeling like youve walked through a movie with a controller. Thats how I felt during the final battle.

For the record it is more like a choose your own adventure book.... But yeah, I get what you mean.

C

Campini

whats all awkward? i totally missed it.

And Scarletsmoke, if you read part of my post and got bored then DONT READ IT. It is only a game, and gaming is a hobby of mine, so im going to write about it. You play through an entire game that takes hours and hours but you wont read a few lines of text which takes 30 seconds?

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Campini;231051 said:
Nah, I think I'll still play games thanks :)

With Fable 2 I have felt that I have been able to utilise what skills I have and I felt that I did accomplish something challenging and rewarding - it may not feel that way for you, but for me those things you say a game is all about were available and, more importantly, accessible. There are many games where I struggle to manage certain elements because I'm just not very good - but Fable 2 has made it possible for someone like me to not only complete the game but to do so in a way that is wholly satisfactory without making it such a hard slog that I just give up and play something else - or ask someone to complete bits of it for me.

For a person who expects a challenge in the sense of having to utilise the kind of skills required in the vast majority of next-gen RPG games - ones which push you to your limits in certain areas and make you really have to think about how you're going to approach particular scenarios - yes, Fable 2 is likely to disappoint. A lot, if not all, the reviews made a point of mentioning the lack of challenge. But if you were a casual gamer, such as myself, with limited experience and abilities, you would be able to appreciate the way Fable 2 plays out that much more.

This is exactly how I woul have wanted it to be and I felt that the difficulty of getting the three Heroes to the end safely was more than enough for me to not feel cheated by Lucien's demise.

Skorm's Boss

Nasty Bugger
Reaction score

Campini;231051 said:
I’m sorry my friend, but you should stick to movies, books, and television (or perhaps interactive dvds would be perfect for you as they start making those more and more) because games are all about (or supposed to be all about for me anyway) skill and feeling like you’ve accomplished something challenging and rewarding, not feeling like you’ve walked through a movie with a controller. That’s how I felt during the final battle.
you have accomplished something, you got to the end of the game, not all games have to be "ohh lets shoot everything!" and be so ridiculously hard that only the most hard core gamer can possibly finish it, I agree with angel, the game was witty, intriguing and a joy to play. And now I'm going back to my evil hero for a bit more mindless fun!:lol:

C

Campini

Maybe I was a bit too harsh, as hard-core gamers go, I fall well behind them as well (perhaps somewhere in the middle of casual and hard-core). I hate most FPS's and cant stand those people who are so f'in good at halo or COD4 that it seems impossible and find those games repetitive and boring. Im just talking about the challenge of feeling like theres something to lose if you die, the feeling of risk, that makes me enjoy games (especially RPGs which you talk about where you have to carefully think about every situation you approach, I like turn-based RPG's) that makes it for me. If you like the story-type kind of games then thats cool, its all about what you personally enjoy.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Campini;231069 said:
Maybe I was a bit too harsh, as hard-core gamers go, I fall well behind them as well (perhaps somewhere in the middle of casual and hard-core). I hate most FPS's and cant stand those people who are so f'in good at halo or COD4 that it seems impossible and find those games repetitive and boring. Im just talking about the challenge of feeling like theres something to lose if you die, the feeling of risk, that makes me enjoy games (especially RPGs which you talk about where you have to carefully think about every situation you approach, I like turn-based RPG's) that makes it for me. If you like the story-type kind of games then thats cool, its all about what you personally enjoy.
Oh it's definitely not for everyone - turn based RPG's drive me nuts and I don't like them nearly as much as I love the more Fable/Oblivion/Mass Effect type things. I'm fairly imaginative as a person and (as well as being a huge book fan ;)) I love to be able to simply wander around an entire alternate universe, fully immersed in being someone or something else. Take the dog, for example - I was really not sure whether it was a good idea and then found myself getting really annoyed with people who kicked him and made him yelp. Then when Lucien shot him I was genuinely feeling a bit upset and rather outraged that he could do that. Then I chose not to have the dog back and really miss him - so much so that when I went to that demon door which requires dog tricks to open and saw the ghost of my dog waiting there, wagging his tail, ready to help me out I was actually really happy to see him - and then equally morose when my dog was left behind inside the demon door, still wagging his tail and barking...

I don't like thinking too much - hurts my head and all that - I just like something which means you can either follow the main point or go and do what the hell you like, especially when there are consequences to those actions. I'm not much of an FPS player (similar views concerning COD4 there, I have to say - my husband is one of those who is good at stuff like that and it just sends me to sleep unless it's Rainbow 6) or indeed much of any sort of player, which is why I adore games which let me enjoy myself by wandering around, setting myself little targets and just playing how and when I please.

In terms of loss/risk - I felt that with my dog. Sounds crap, I know, but I really did. Sure, there are a few elements I would have loved to change in Fable 2 such as the option to kill children and full free roam along with the ability to jump anywhere/climb hills etc as well as some applications which are found in, say, Oblivion - but by and large, Fable 2 did what I expected and more. I wasn't looking for Oblivion/Mass Effect competition - I was looking for that signature Fable feel which I'm glad to say still seems to be very much there. Perhaps they will change things once again for the next Fable, if they make one, and perhaps now that they have enticed people onto the 360 to play their first next-gen Fable game, they will feel they have more freedom to expand and make it more challenging next time around - or even have the option to select the difficulty level or something.