• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you guys think of this PC

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
So I've pretty much come to the conclusion that my old trusty PC just can't keep up. Would be too much effort to upgrade it and keep it competitive. So I'm thinking of retiring it and use it as a storage/dumpster where I keep all my music, pr0nz and other unmentionables whilst I get myself a gaming PC on the side, free of downloads and stuff. So here are the specs(disregard the stuff I left untranslated):

Category: PC
Manufacturer: THOR Computer
Release: 2012-07-24
Leveranstid: 1-3 arbetsdagar
Garanti (år): 2 years
Chassi: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower
PowerSupply: Corsair TX 650W V2 80+
SSD: Corsair 120GB SSD - Force 3
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Z77
Telefonsupport: Support 2 years ( only swedish )
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Hard-drive: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB - 5900RPM - 64MB
Optic storage: Samsung 22X DL - SH-222BB/BEBE
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB GDDR5 1006Mhz
Sound: High Definition Audio 5.1
Network: Gigabit Ethernet, 10/100/1000 Mbps
Ports: 2xDVI, HDMI, Displayport

EDIT: Also take a look at this. Isn't that the coolest manufacturer logo you've ever seen?

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Salivating... Kicks the crap out of my gaming PC, a setup like that is more than enough to max out today's games and future ones. Of course, you can always save more money with a cheaper custom build and still have good performance, but if money is no object then there's no real bother. However I'm concerned about the PSU, if you're ever to do SLI with your 680 (for whatever insane reason) it could be a problem.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Runs Skyrim easily. Mine does, and is quite a bit weaker.

I'd agree with the logo if it wasn't for Club 3D.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't know, Giki. I've toyed with getting one together myself and it seems that prices are quite similar.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
You're preaching to the choir, man. I love nVidia.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Don't go SLI, not worth it.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Id kill for a PC currently (might have to) and definitely would go for something like that, specs seem rather impressive.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Don't listen to them Tsuyu, don't go anything AMD. Intel/nVidia are worth the extra cost, whatever one may say, no matter how much they hit themselves or flags of fanboyism they throw at you, don't listen to them.
Can't really argue with that, already grown tired of my AMD setup and want to return to the nVidia side soon. The GTX 660 ti looks like it could be a really good deal for now.
I don't know, Giki. I've toyed with getting one together myself and it seems that prices are quite similar.
Depends on what you're shooting for and where you're buying these parts from, a medium-range rig will you do you just fine but will mean upgrading earlier down the road as opposed to a high end rig. My setup ran me for under $700 (with mail in rebates I could have dropped it down to near $500) and is medium range for now (just needs a CPU & GPU upgrade) but still maxes out some of today's games, not to mention you can save even more money by using parts you have from existing PCs such as old HDDs and optical drives.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Not to mention you can save even more money by using parts you have from existing PCs such as old HDDs and optical drives.

I have about 7 of each lying around currently. :lol:

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I didn't even bother with a CD/DVD drive. Took it from my other PC for Windows installation, but haven't needed it since. Of course if you have movies/music on disks you'd need it, but seeing as you'll keep your old PC I don't really see a point.

Also, I'd not waste so much on RAM and stick to 8 GB (pun intended). They don't cost that much these days, but it's still a bit cheaper. If you're only gaming 16 vs 8 gig shouldn't make a difference.
If you care about performance over storage, I'd recommend you check some 7200 rpm HDDs as well. The same price will get you a smaller (maybe a bit older), but faster HDD.

Edit: so I asked my smarter friends again and... one guy recommended a decent soundcard and a faster HDD as well - seeing as you're already spending.

Now as far as budget cuts go I think you can easily go for a cheaper GPU and CPU with overclocking potential as well as less RAM. The thing with upgrading is that later on the same parts will be cheaper.