• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why did the darkness affect Walter so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score
Like when you first go to Shifting Sands, the Crawler wants him because the darkness has always existed inside of him. At the end of the game, the Crawler attacks Walter for some reason I don't know. Why wouldn't the Crawler just attack the hero instead? I understand that the Crawler wanted to spread darkness and shadows upon Albion, but I don't see why it would want Walter specifically.
my theory is the crawler feeds off fear. Walter being already scared of the dark, makes him an easy target to"feed on". The crawler also hates the light of your aura, even screaming at the hero " YOUR LIGHT OFFENDS US"!!!! the hero, being strong and confident, full of light and part of a surpreme bloodline is very hard to intimidate. Walter being the next best choice to get to was obviously the only option for the beast. Personally i have a feeling this isnt the last we see of the crawler. After all, we defeated the beast as it possessed walter. And didnt defeat the beast itself.

JesterJoe

Explorer
Reaction score
my theory is the crawler feeds off fear. Walter being already scared of the dark, makes him an easy target to"feed on". The crawler also hates the light of your aura, even screaming at the hero " YOUR LIGHT OFFENDS US"!!!! the hero, being strong and confident, full of light and part of a surpreme bloodline is very hard to intimidate. Walter being the next best choice to get to was obviously the only option for the beast. Personally i have a feeling this isnt the last we see of the crawler. After all, we defeated the beast as it possessed walter. And didnt defeat the beast itself.

yeah,i agree.we only killed ''posessed'' walter.

destroythesaints

"Tatty-bye!"
Reaction score
Yeah, that's when I started getting upset with the game. Walter's torch goes out and he just spazzes out. He freaks out and gets scared which makes him an easier target for the Crawler. And if he was so scared why wasn't he sticking to you being the hero like glue. Did he not believe you could protect him? It's a game but you should have never been forced to leave him. The other thing I was most upset with was the final fight. Fine, the Crawler uses Walter because he is afraid, old, and your father figure. But why couldn't you seperate the Crawler from Walter without killing him. I sooooo wanted to fight the Crawler one on one in its natural form. Even if Walter had to die in the process of the Crawler leaving him it would have been better. If the Crawler had made Walter mortally wound himself to upset you and leave his body at the same time it would leave Walter out of the way and give you all the ammunition you needed to rip the Crawler apart. When I beat the game, I was just thinking, wow that was BS.

I would have loved to kick that prick's ass. In his actual form.
I loved Walter, ****. He had an awesome 'stache.

SeancyB

I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game
Reaction score

Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if you could legitly kill him in some dlc pack or something. We'll see.

I would have loved to kick that prick's ass. In his actual form.
I loved Walter, s***. He had an awesome 'stache.

For sure, and I did like Walter. He was definitely funny. If you could have killed the Crawler without Walter dying that would have been great.

CharlieRunning

Reaction score
in the end Walter said all THIS time. not all the time... or since birth. When you first meet the darkness it says it tainted you(Walter), and you can never see light again. when trying to take Walter away it keeps saying that the darkness well never leave, and you'll (I assume still talking to Walter) forever be tainted, and that no one ever escapes. its just my theory that That was when the darkness entered into him.

as for why it affected him so much... I'd assume because when your scared of something, it affect you more. Walter mentions not liking dark enclosed spaces often in the game play. its so much easier to prey on someone who is cowering, instead of fighting.

plataneroo

Ukviva
Reaction score
You guys realise this is just a game though? The characters don't have feelings x.x
This can be an endless discussion you know ;p

schala

Alice in Winterland
Reaction score
Walter was affected by the darkness so you can play the hero...if the hero was affected by darkness, you'd be playing Walter.

it's just game mechanics, the 'why' has nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
It was probably the fear. It could have been many things really. Even with games, the writing mechanics they always leave what ifs to either open up (Fable 4, per say) or just "make your own conclusion" scenario's.

In the very beginning when Walter takes you to train one last time with the sword he goes, "Listen..i have to tell you something." and then gets cut off by the prince/princess's guy/girl. For all we know, he could have been affected by it the entire time.

Or just while in the cave. Or...an event that you'll find out later that someone had already faced the darkness. Maybe Walter got infected then and it was just lying dorment.

Status
Not open for further replies.