• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Zarkes' Destiny Review.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
We have time limits for editing posts? Weird.

Anyway, wanted to add an interesting tidbit some of you may not know. In a way, I've been hype for this game for the last 8 years. When Borderlands was in early development, a small article was published that promised quite a lot. The graphics weren't cell-shaded yet, the game had no wacky humor to it. It was marketed as a vast open world dungeon crawler with heavy emphasis on multiplayer. Then there was no news for years and I'd assumed the project was too ambitious and was abandoned. There are indicators that something like this happened, too. Cell shading lets you get away with less graphical detail, the maps were stitched together fable-style, and rich lore was abandoned for quirky humor. Most of the game was boiled down to its gameplay mechanics and the missions really only served as an engine to grind for levels and better weapons.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-...art-style-inspired-by-short-film-codehunters/

I liked borderlands, but to me Destiny is the game it tried and failed to be. ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
It will help the game in the long run though. The amount of content they'll be able to patch in later could be unprecedented.

Im more worried about the game being completed by paid for DLC with very little free content, the game as a whole could end up costing you a fortune to get the most out of it. I think the basics are great and systems work well but so much untapped potential and side steps they took that could have made it truly groundbreaking. I started to get a little bored with the repetitive nature after about 6 hours so for them to tell me the game doesnt truly start until end game makes it feel like a grind to get to the decent content. At the moment I havent played it in over a week and I will get around to it but im already been drawn into purchasing other new releases (like Shadow of Mordor) and that never usually happens for some time after I have a new game. Lots of people on forums and friends included are already trading it in for other games and makes me wonder if new free content and frequent updates dont come fast enough they might not be left with much of a community left and thats a shame.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
If Destiny had a subscription model all content would be released on disc but that would have halved the community. So instead Dlc is introduced because the gaming community is more used to it.

I'm level 26 and the only thing to do is grind for better gear. Increasing my level is nigh impossible since Bungie made ascendant shards legendary now. I get one shard every two weeks and to level up a piece of gear it costs 70 shards or so. At this point it doesn't matter how much new content is released I've beaten the game and there is no endgame to keep me busy.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Valid complaints on both counts. I know I read a trade system is coming soon. They're taking their time releasing it as they study the games economy. I think drop rates and upgrades will be adjusted in the near future as well. Just recently they adjusted the cryptarch's reward system to be more generous.

I guess I'm just a bit more for giving because it looks like they're taking player feedback to heart. At the same time, it wouldn't be an mmo if the best gear was easy to get. So far I'm level 24 and it still feels like once the game began to get grindy, a new play list has opened up and kept the upgrade curve from getting too steep. Though, maybe it's just me.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Valid complaints on both counts. I know I read a trade system is coming soon. They're taking their time releasing it as they study the games economy. I think drop rates and upgrades will be adjusted in the near future as well. Just recently they adjusted the cryptarch's reward system to be more generous.

I guess I'm just a bit more for giving because it looks like they're taking player feedback to heart. At the same time, it wouldn't be an mmo if the best gear was easy to get. So far I'm level 24 and it still feels like once the game began to get grindy, a new play list has opened up and kept the upgrade curve from getting too steep. Though, maybe it's just me.

I can understand why it didnt have a trade system straight away as the economy could have been ruined pretty quickly with the item farmers getting all legendary gear and everyone and their dog having it before long. Glad the Cryptarch has become more generous as I got screwed over quite often with this and getting a more common item from a rare engram.

I just wish it had some more variety to it, I know the only MMO ive ever played is Guild Wars and most are about the grind but you have got to at least make that grind fun. When I was getting bored after 6 hours how am I going to be entertained after 50 hours of doing the exact same things over and over? I dont want to have to pay for new DLC every few months just to get some variety in the mission structure.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
We have time limits for editing posts? Weird.

Anyway, wanted to add an interesting tidbit some of you may not know. In a way, I've been hype for this game for the last 8 years. When Borderlands was in early development, a small article was published that promised quite a lot. The graphics weren't cell-shaded yet, the game had no wacky humor to it. It was marketed as a vast open world dungeon crawler with heavy emphasis on multiplayer. Then there was no news for years and I'd assumed the project was too ambitious and was abandoned. There are indicators that something like this happened, too. Cell shading lets you get away with less graphical detail, the maps were stitched together fable-style, and rich lore was abandoned for quirky humor. Most of the game was boiled down to its gameplay mechanics and the missions really only served as an engine to grind for levels and better weapons.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/this-...art-style-inspired-by-short-film-codehunters/

I liked borderlands, but to me Destiny is the game it tried and failed to be. ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!
Oh god, the original Borderlands was terrible and a major letdown from all the praise I heard from it over the years. Other than running around, shooting, killing, looting, rinse-lather-repeat.. there was nothing else to the game. No proper story, no character development, no actual NPCs, empty towns, no variety, poor customization and no depth whatsoever. A hint of personality with no soul.

The sequel on the other hand did a lot of things better, but it still lacked gameplay depth and variety with things to do and still boiled down to Run, Shoot, Kill, Loot for 30hrs.

I was expecting a cel-shaded co-op Fallout 3, but it still has a ways to go to reach such depth and freedom... not impressed with the Pre-Sequel, so it just feels like a pipe-dream at this point. The original design I like along with its more realistic tone, now it just makes me sad that they didn't stick to their guns.. :( sigh. If Destiny really does succeed where it fails then it's a game I can certainly get behind.
When I was getting bored after 6 hours how am I going to be entertained after 50 hours of doing the exact same things over and over? I dont want to have to pay for new DLC every few months just to get some variety in the mission structure.
And this is what scares me about Destiny, I used to enjoy a bit of grinding in my games in the old days like with Final Fantasy, but those titles also offered sizable distractions and a good story with enjoyable character development to balance everything out... but if you take all those things away and are just left with the grind.. then.. no, that's just not fun. It's why I couldn't stand the original Borderlands, it had nothing to it but repetitive grind.

Balance is key, it's why games such as Fallout & Elder Scrolls manage to be so fun and addictive while still having grinding mechanics of their own.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
And this is what scares me about Destiny, I used to enjoy a bit of grinding in my games in the old days like with Final Fantasy, but those titles also offered sizable distractions and a good story with enjoyable character development to balance everything out... but if you take all those things away and are just left with the grind.. then.. no, that's just not fun. It's why I couldn't stand the original Borderlands, it had nothing to it but repetitive grind.

Balance is key, it's why games such as Fallout & Elder Scrolls manage to be so fun and addictive while still having grinding mechanics of their own.

I will admit that if you go for soloing through and through, the game feels a lot more lacking. That's not to say there's much wrong with the story. It's just one of those games that flourishes when you make a character and level up with friends. Kind of like gauntlet, but on a grander scale.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I will admit that if you go for soloing through and through, the game feels a lot more lacking. That's not to say there's much wrong with the story. It's just one of those games that flourishes when you make a character and level up with friends. Kind of like gauntlet, but on a grander scale.
That's fine, I do enjoy solo play for immersion and roleplay here and there, but having a friend tag along for me can be integral for such a massive game. Playing BL2 by myself was pretty underwhelming and got old fast, but playing with Queen helped bring out a lot more enjoyment and unpredictability.

Only problem now would be finding all the friends I could (and want to) play with lol. Me and Queen wouldn't be able to play together because of no local co-op, you're on PS3, Drakan & Zarkes are on XB1, and I was gonna shoot for a PS4 first. Still, it'll likely be PS3, but I don't really know anyone else with Destiny on there and I hear raids or bosses can be a pain without enough people... what a conundrum.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
That's fine, I do enjoy solo play for immersion and roleplay here and there, but having a friend tag along for me can be integral for such a massive game. Playing BL2 by myself was pretty underwhelming and got old fast, but playing with Queen helped bring out a lot more enjoyment and unpredictability.

Only problem now would be finding all the friends I could (and want to) play with lol. Me and Queen wouldn't be able to play together because of no local co-op, you're on PS3, Drakan & Zarkes are on XB1, and I was gonna shoot for a PS4 first. Still, it'll likely be PS3, but I don't really know anyone else with Destiny on there and I hear raids or bosses can be a pain without enough people... what a conundrum.
I am not even considering a raid, from what I've heard one person can screw it up and make it last several hours longer to get to the next checkpoint. For raids you can't just find people to play with you need a solid clan that can communicate and work together.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Sure solo gets dry after a while. I did the campaign solo but it was a tad grindy after a while. I feel like they really tried to emulate that cortana/chief relationship between your guardian/ghost which was nice. The boss fights were always epic and challenging which also helped.

Don't worry scott. If you get it on ps3 I'll never give you up or let you down. ;)
You do really need that full party for whatever you set out to kill. Though, if we're 2/3 people I think we'd be just fine as long as we aren't attempting vault of glass or anything else as challenging.

I've got a hunter up to level 26 but my titan or warlock could use a level up buddy. I've left them both at 1.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score
I've had a hard time getting into it. Maybe it's because I kept getting kicked out whenever my router dropped for a second. I'll get back to it at some time.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've had a hard time getting into it. Maybe it's because I kept getting kicked out whenever my router dropped for a second. I'll get back to it at some time.

Happened to me a few times too, I was 3/4 of way through my first raid and I got kicked. >_<

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I got kicked three times before I got through the fist mission.
I had just upgraded my internet before Destiny came out and thank god, I still remember all those Halo matches lagging and getting booted.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I am not even considering a raid, from what I've heard one person can screw it up and make it last several hours longer to get to the next checkpoint. For raids you can't just find people to play with you need a solid clan that can communicate and work together.
Jeez really? Well that sucks, just my luck I'd be the one to let everybody down then. I'm not that big on playing with strangers, but it'd be nice if it was possible for someone to drop-in and lend a hand. Still, another reason why I wish I could play with all of you guys on a single platform. Oh well, I'm sure things will be okay either way.
Sure solo gets dry after a while. I did the campaign solo but it was a tad grindy after a while. I feel like they really tried to emulate that cortana/chief relationship between your guardian/ghost which was nice. The boss fights were always epic and challenging which also helped.

Don't worry scott. If you get it on ps3 I'll never give you up or let you down. ;)
You do really need that full party for whatever you set out to kill. Though, if we're 2/3 people I think we'd be just fine as long as we aren't attempting vault of glass or anything else as challenging.

I've got a hunter up to level 26 but my titan or warlock could use a level up buddy. I've left them both at 1.
I don't mind having to settle for on/off soloing if it means I can travel & survive with someone from time to time, just couldn't see myself doing the whole campaign as a lone wolf... >.> I get a bit lonely sometimes. Is that guardian with you all the time and you're able to call upon him whenever? Or is it more along the lines of he shows up whenever he feels like it?

Good, and I'll never run around and desert you.
Well if you've got some buddies on your end to help even things out then that'd be swell. Though I have to wonder if the world is leveled like Elder Scrolls, so no matter how powerful you get there will always be a challenge. I'm still not even sure which class I would want to focus on.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Is that guardian with you all the time and you're able to call upon him whenever? Or is it more along the lines of he shows up whenever he feels like it?

Hes around all the time, though mainly used as a waypoint beacon & you bring him out when you check map etc and he pops up every mission to scan something or generally just talk at you.