• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Any Starcraft II fans?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
starcraft2_wings_of_liberty_by_3xhumed.png

Inconceivable I know but ive never properly played any of the Starcraft series and been hearing good things about it for many years. Also with Starcraft 2: Heart of the swarm recently released with an 84% average currently & receiving critical acclaim im again intrigued. I havent had my RTS itch scratched for some time & my laptop isnt great but according to CanYouRunIt I should be able to run it. Downloading the demo currently to see what the fuss is about & if it will run & at a decent framerate & wanted some opinions from people who have probably been playing it for years.​

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
I probably won't be getting Heart of the Swarm for a while (if ever), but I do own Wings of Liberty.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I probably won't be getting Heart of the Swarm for a while (if ever), but I do own Wings of Liberty.

Any reason you wont be getting it? Your a fan of Wings of Liberty if I remember correctly, damn big demo download so probably wont get chance to try it out until tomorrow.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I dabbled with the first StarCraft but unfortunately my laptop is too sux0rz to try out its sequel. :(

Tyloric

Reaction score
Any reason you wont be getting it? Your a fan of Wings of Liberty if I remember correctly, damn big demo download so probably wont get chance to try it out until tomorrow.

Other games to play, school things, ect. I probably will get it for the campaign, because I've heard it's amazing, but I've never been a fan of competitive multiplayer. I always go up against the computer or play custom maps. I don't like PvP.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Other games to play, school things, ect. I probably will get it for the campaign, because I've heard it's amazing, but I've never been a fan of competitive multiplayer. I always go up against the computer or play custom maps. I don't like PvP.

Ah I see, im not really a competitive multiplayer guy either to be honest & prefer to play campaigns & skirmish battles. I have a crazy amount of games to finish but just wanted something for my laptop as I dont have many for it.

Tyloric

Reaction score
I lied. I bought it. I was coerced. It's not my fault.

(it's pretty fun)

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I hear that HotS will be very beginner-friendly, with all the really good tutorials they've put in. I've never gone into the Starcraft series before, so now's a good time to start, if ever. Once I'm sure I have the money after investing in Bioshock Infinite and a new mic set.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Oh and if you drop the game then you will lose skill as a player, that is certain; it isn't a game you can pick up after a month and expect to have the same experience and skill you had a month before.

This only applies to 200+ APM multiplayer matches. If you're a regular singleplayer gamer I don't think a Starcraft experience is any different from C&C or any other RTS game. The basics are there for anyone to learn (and it wouldn't take 18 months), perhaps on a bit larger in scale, though I doubt it. If you want to be a micro god then yes, it'll take time.
With SC being the prime e-Sports title and the mechanical skills required to master it are high(aka play the game to it's technical or the player's physical limit), it gets glorified so much it's easy to forget that SC is also an RTS game for the casual player.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Lol, you would be surprised; people who get in master's or diamond, might end up as platinum or even lower if they leave for some time. Unless you already belong in a lowly league like Bronze, Silver and Gold. (Which is implied you have no skill)

Which is exactly what I said - competitive SC. It's no surprise, either.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Then I might just get it to play with my friends. Don't see myself as a really competitive sort of player.

Tyloric

Reaction score
The campaign alone is enough reason to get it. It really is that good.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The cutscenes look stunning & ive heard good things about the Campaign mode so if it runs I would mainly do that & Skirmish. I downloaded the demo but in typical fashion when I found some time to play it Blizzard were updating servers so I couldnt play it & havent had chance since. Is it like regular RTS games with the management of resources, base building etc but with Warcraft 3 style boss/hero units? As you can tell I dont know much about it as the series passed me by over the years.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
It's pretty much standard. Not sure about boss/hero units, but I don't think they exist.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
It's pretty much standard. Not sure about boss/hero units, but I don't think they exist.

Thought I read that they gave you control of certain hero units & there were a couple of boss like situations in campaign. Maybe I misunderstood, I did read about 10 reviews in a row after all.

Tyloric

Reaction score
Thought I read that they gave you control of certain hero units & there were a couple of boss like situations in campaign. Maybe I misunderstood, I did read about 10 reviews in a row after all.

In Wings of Liberty you could hire mercenaries and every now and then Raynor would show up to kick some ass with you. In Heart of the Swarm you do have a hero unit, Kerrigan. She levels up as you complete mission objectives. She is a proper hero unit.

In custom maps you can have whatever the **** you want. There is even a Starcraft MMO in the Arcade called "Starcraft: Universe".

GET THE DAMN GAME ALREADY.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Might be then, I haven't actually played it myself.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
In Wings of Liberty you could hire mercenaries and every now and then Raynor would show up to kick some ass with you. In Heart of the Swarm you do have a hero unit, Kerrigan. She levels up as you complete mission objectives. She is a proper hero unit.

In custom maps you can have whatever the f*** you want. There is even a Starcraft MMO in the Arcade called "Starcraft: Universe".

GET THE DAMN GAME ALREADY.

Yeah that was who I read about (checked the name & remember the face off the box), I have the demo & will be testing it out tomorrow hopefully. I like RTS games with good Skirmish modes, a great campaign is an added bonus too.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
So thought I would revive this thread as I have the free version of StarCraft II now (Skirmish and handful of campaign missions available) and a good gaming rig to run it on.

INFO ON THE STARTER EDITION

We’ve replaced the previously available StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty demo with the recently launched StarCraft II: Starter Edition. StarCraft II: Starter Edition allows anyone to play the following content for free (all you need is a Battle.net account and Internet connection):

• The first four missions of the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty single-player campaign, including Mar Sara 1-3 and the choice to embark on Tychus’s first mission or Dr. Hansen’s first mission.
  • The first two Challenges: Tactical Command and Covert Ops.
  • Access to the terran race in Custom Games and Single-Player vs. AI.
  • Access to the following custom maps (map selection may rotate over time):
  • Xel’Naga Caverns
  • Shattered Temple
  • Discord IV
  • High Orbit
Any campaign progress and achievements you earn while playing StarCraft II: Starter Edition are automatically saved to your Battle.net account, and will carry over should you ever upgrade from the Starter Edition to the full version of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.

If you’re thinking of getting into the game or know a friend who's been interested in joining you in the Koprulu Sector, it's easier than ever to give the ultimate real-time strategy experience a spin. Just head over to the Starter Edition page here, or log in to an existing Battle.net account.

For more information and a full list of restrictions, check out the StarCraft II: Starter Edition FAQ HERE.

EDIT* I have played a handful of the Campaign Missions and I am enjoying it so far, might buy the whole package if I continue to enjoy the Skirmish maps and tools I have access to on the free version.