• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone think guns were a mistake?

ajmanno

Reaction score
When I think Fable I think mothergoose, brothers grimm, and other fairytales. The first game looked like they wanted to head in that direction. But it was all downhill from there. F2 and 3 aren't fable like at all. Just another action/adventure game with time wasting gimmicks.

If I can find the initiative when the PC version hits, then I'm going to completely rip out the storyline and go for non-linear episodes/quests straight out of the Brother's Grimm books.

soooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajmanno

Reaction score
Fable 1 was amazing fable 2 wasnt good at all and fable 3 was ok but lionhead made a mistake by going 500 years in the future. They also messed up the clothing, and by adding guns they ruined fable. Also the story lines in fable 2 and 3 wernt as good as fable 1

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Am I alone here? A Revolutionary War RPG would be my most favorite game in the world. Entirely.

I love GUNS, WARFARE, and the usual things associated with it.

Longbows and Crossbows, sure they're quite fine indeed, however I love Guns more than anything in this world. Guns, guns, guns. Love'em.

I would literally (non-literally) kill for a Revolutionary War RPG.

I guess this is going to get lots of flaming activity on my part, but I guess it doesn't matter. If I was to make the next Fable game, this is what I would do:

-Remove Will and everything to do with it.
-Nothing related to magical properties and everything associated with it.
-Add in much more Guns, add emphasis on Guns, introduce a 'Cover System', a 'Blindfire System', and other things to that degree.
-With Will removed, and more emphasis on Guns, Melee Combat would consist with much more emphasis on blocking, countering, and executing opponents.
-The only melee weapon would be a sword, or daggers. None of those hammers or axes.
-Make Rifles, Pistols, and Swords/Daggers all look realistic, removing all of the 'glyphs' and unrealistic designs.
-Remove 'arcanist robes', and spells, and all that stuff. I would introduce realistic, non-archaic armor; and clothing of the era.
-Remove 'Btisih Humour' and keep the small ironic humour in. Much how Fable I was.
-Remove supernatural creatures such as Balverines and banshees, and pull-in more real-world creatures and wildlife.
-Remove 'slow-jobs' and introduce newer methods of blacksmithing, lumberjacking (excuse the pun), hunting, and other things.
-Remove the cheesy voice-acting of certain individuals and give everyone a voice and tone with similar qualities of Walter, Logan, Weaver, or someone like that.
-Re-introduce Fist Fighting, and revamp it.
-More emphasis on darker toning, industrious, and other Fable III Bowerstone-Esque areas.
-A more 'British War' storyline. With soldiers as they were in Fable III; forts and generals and battles.

Then again, would that not destroy Fable? Please, anyone know where I can buy this game I speak of from?

TBH that game sounds pretty awesome, but it's not Fable. To get Fable, you have to go in the exact other direction.

Fable II and III feel kind of confused and half hearted.

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score
I think the opposite of you, fable needs will, bows, magic, get rid of guns, if lionhead did what you wanted fable would a terrible game

Yeah, it'd ruin Fable. However it'd make for a good game.

I just never got interest in magic. I only really like Realistic things. Now I know Fable is FAR from realistic - much like every video game, but I like when they TRY to be as realistic as possible.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
I like guns in Fable. They have some kind of adventurist style.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Felt steampunkish.

I love steampunk.

Gitch

Reaction score
I honestly think the guns sped the games up a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love how you have to dodge and run around with the bows in Fable I but the game feels smoother with the additions of guns in II.

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score
I like the guns in fable but I think they should have left the longbow option for those who like it, have it compensate for a slower rate of fire by doing more damage.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
How does longbow's doing more damage than guns make more sense?

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score
How does longbow's doing more damage than guns make more sense?

It doesnt but were talking about a video game here, people accept it in black ops that a crossbow or throwing knife do more damage than guns.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Not really. The speed of a bullet makes sure it does more damage than it's size would suggest. More energy = more carnage.

Reaction score
But if (taking from another person's comment on another thread) the bows did bleed damage and could possibly be combined with will, that would be awesome

orgun

Reaction score
mm I dont think for me it is ok the way it is

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I agree, yet I don't agree. It seems like they DID put more detail into the guns and were kind of like "Here..I guess..you can have a crossbow..if you want"...But..I personally hate crossbows and did in the first game. I liked the other bows, :) my bow(*coughskormsbowcough*), but I REALLY liked it with Multi-Arrow.. Which I miss the most..The spells. The good ones..The spells in the first games I really liked. And 2's..well..not so much. Felt repetitive... If I had Multi-bullet. Now that'd be sweet. I wouldn't care that much.

But I do miss the magic feeling. I didn't want fable 2 to start heading towards industrial. I wanted Bigger, Wider, Open areas of places to explore. While Bower Lake is pretty big, the other areas don't feel quite the same. I wanted to be exploring trees, vast forests, giant Lakes with Krakens... I wanted it to snow, and just be everything Fable & Fable TLC could've been.
But they decided in a differen't dirrection, wich inadvertantly crippled them, and made them take a step backwards in their game making, so it seems....Eh Well.. Getting slightly off topic here.

I liked the guns, they were okay, You can pretty much kill everything with tons of headshots.. but I would've liked to have the, both. But it was One or the Other I guess..

Erika

Reaction score
i liked th guns,cross bows, and bows and arrows. but the fable 3 weapons suck=T i miss my katanas.
but the weapons in fable 1 and 2 are pretty good.

Anvos

Reaction score
I'm okay with guns, just not the unblockable mechanic (without a suitable dodge replacement) and how quickly they reload (seams more like your loading cartridges and not round shot that comes out of the barrel).

Crossbows I could see returning as a sort of steam punk repeater version or those cool wrist mounted ones you can use while in melee.

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
I'm forever a fan of the longsword and longbow. The most I ever wanted was a shield. I tolerated crossbows. Guns were indeed a mistake. Now that we have them, it's hard to go back without an explanation. You'd need a story element that would explain a kind of worldwide annihilation that set everything back a thousand years or something. Such a thing has been done before, but not very well.

If Fable were to have not gone with guns, but still go future and still go steampunk, the wrist crossbow mechanics out of Dishonored worked pretty well.

Maleficus

Reaction score
I agree with the previous post. I wish they never implemented guns in the first place but I guess its too late to pretend they never existed now.

I am not a fan of using bows, since long range combat is not my style, but it just doesn't feel right not having them in the games. Oh, and I want my axes back. More melee variety and returning longbows would be ideal for me.