• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Are you a bow person or a crossbow person?

Which do you prefer when playing a "Ranger"-type character in a game?

• Bow

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Crossbow

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Doesnt happen much in games where your in an army like that against thousands of enemies firing blindly into groups, you normally have your screen centered on your targets. As Tsuyu said, in games crossbows tend to be fast to reload and can fire much faster than regular bows. However in games like Skyrim id prefer the feeling of tracking my foe with arrow tip and feeling the satisfaction of watching that arrow hit them. Rather than firing multiple arrows until they drop down, would just seem more skill involved with a regular bow.

Fair enough, my inner history geek gets the better of me sometimes.

Reaction score
Alright enough being on the fence! I've finally made a decision about which ones my favourite to use in fantasy games. In 90% of the fantasy games I play I tend to go for a heavy combat orientated character like warrior or knight class. I like to walk around covered head to toe in plate armour wielding a 4ft long claymore, a walking medieval tank basically. However there were always moments where I found myself using ranged weapons such as the bow, when hunting mammoths and giants or doing Dark Brotherhood contracts in Skyrim.

The problem with this for me though was just how "incorrect" using a bow felt when running around as an armoured juggernaught, it was a fantastic weapon, smooth and elegant like the sniper rifle of it's day, however it always felt inappropriate to use it as my type of character.

It's for this reason I'm going to go with the crossbow, it's a heavy, powerful ranged weapon that can stop an armoured enemy in their tracks, and unlike the bow I can actually imagine it in the hands of an armoured knight. The bow is awesome but it's more of a scouts weapon, crafted for the delicate hands of a stealthy wood elf or the humble imperial peasant. The crossbow on the other hand I can use and still feel like a hard hitting Nord mauraderer. Yep the crossbow is the one for me, she's my baby. :)

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Pfft.

That's what throwing axes/knives is for.

But yeah, pretty much all you said I agree with. I also feel that assassin/rogue type characters should use crossbows because they are more like cold and mechanical. Also, in certain games you can get really cool crossbows made exclusively for assassinations with cool features such as scopes and whatnots.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Bows are so much more elegant than crossbows. More accurate too, if you know how to use it. Crossbows are basically for lazy people who can't be bothered learning how to use a real bow.