• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Better Communication and Character Interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willstopher

Reaction score
Better Communication and Character Interaction

In fable 3 there should really be a lot more character interaction. ya know, like, you should actually be able to talk with peoplel or at least hear yourself talk. i felt so ridiculously detached from everyone in fable 2 (even my wife). this really is a problem. i know that the expressions wheel is made so that you can communicate with people, but that does not offer a very wide range of things. if you have any ideas of how they could improve this, comment below. Thanks!

S

Scottie

Re: Better Communication and Character Interaction

Something along the lines of an Oblivion, or a Fallout 3 list would be awesome. No need to go into First person though.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree somewhat. Even better, if you take a look at this thread, specifically the videos linked in it, you can see that Lionhead is thinking about it too.

Thinking about it.

Which doesn't mean that they'll actually improve anything, but at least they're going to TRY to fix it. One thing I seriously doubt they'll do (and I agree with them on this) is give your character a voice and lines.

Fable has always been a different kind of RPG. Mass Effect, KOTOR, all of those, they have masses of text and (in Mass Effect's case) very specific voices for your character, even when you have choices.

Fable, on the other hand, is and always has been about choices. Even though the story has its own dictates, that are almost certainly more restrictive than, say, Mass Effect, your character has always been more subject to your control. You can control what they look like and act like to a greater degree than in a lot of other games. Sure, you have less choice on your facial features or skin tone, but your overall looks are much more distinctive.

You can't control what they sound like, but that's a stylistic choice-- their thinking, which I don't entirely agree with-- is that it lets you imagine yourself to be the Hero. Maybe it's not the best of all possible worlds, but in this instance I prefer it to the Mass Effect or KOTOR wall-o-text methods. There are benefits to that, as well, but I don't think they fit with Fable's feel.

Fabled Ravrn

Reaction score

Now that I think about it, it seems rather silly to have a King make a thumbs up or thumbs down, or kill something to issue order or corruption throughout the lands. Who knows?

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

Apparently their working on it. They are putting in a new "touch" system. Apparently you will be able to shake peoples hands, give hugs, and sooth crying children. These are just a few of the things we will be able to do. I hope there will be rude things too, like punching. Villagers in Fable II really need a good sock in the face now and then, but they don't really deserve a sword to the face.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

The new "touch" system will also allow us to stear the hand while eating, so now we will be able to eat stuffed, virtual, blueberry pie.... maybe

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

SimonKalevra;332087 said:
The new "touch" system will also allow us to stear the hand while eating, so now we will be able to eat stuffed, virtual, blueberry pie.... maybe

A little cynical, are we? Just be happy they aren't using Natal (or so they say.)

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

having your character speechless is definitely the way to go in fable. as mentioned previously (and is being adressed supposedly by lionhead with the "touch" system), greater character interaction really relies on how well they can improve the npcs you interact with.

although i will always miss getting married from farting in public :lol:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

cheezMcNASTY;332183 said:
having your character speechless is definitely the way to go in fable. as mentioned previously (and is being adressed supposedly by lionhead with the "touch" system), greater character interaction really relies on how well they can improve the npcs you interact with.

although i will always miss getting married from farting in public :lol:

Gotta love a woman who's attracted to base bodily functions.

But yeah, I definitely hope the NPCs are more... humanish. But hey, they were better in 2 than in 1, so hopefully they'll be even better in 3.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Walker;332127 said:
A little cynical, are we? Just be happy they aren't using Natal (or so they say.)

If they are integrating Natal into Fable III I want to be able to slap people.

"Feel Ma Pimp Hand!"

Also it's probably a rather common way of bringing up children in this age of time.

"Did you eradicate poverty, son?"

"No, sir..."

*Natal Slap*

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Until now, I didn't know what natal was, and I usually just ignored stuff being posted about natal or didn't think anything of it, but I googled it, and checked it out a little bit. I'm just wondering now why using natal for Fable 3 would be such a bad idea...

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Because we are hadcore gamers, we sit in our super-comfy chairs and eat chips all day..
Execise would kill us! :O

And because it's new and untested, let a new game be born from Natal so we can test it out, but please don't gamble with Fable like that :'(

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

You can be a hardcore gamer and still exercise. I've beaten Fable 1 and 2 almost 20 times each, and I still manage to run several miles per day.

But I do see what you mean about Natal being untested. I haven't heard or read that much about it, I assumed it was tested at least a little bit. If they were to test it and perfect it though (or get close to perfecting it), I'd love to see it on Fable 3.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

I run too, although lately I've been too busy working (Iknowtheresnosuchthing)
I'm like a ninja inlovewithpie! crazy combo.

EDIT sorry sorry sorry
I got two posts mixed up o.0

If Natal works - bring it into Fable IV but I don't think LionHead should put all their marbles in the same sack. (lol)

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

On Natal-- contrary to popular belief, gamers are a pretty conservative bunch. We don't like change. Most of us seem to be worried that Natal will be a pain in the ass, glitchy, whatever. And considering the early glitchiness of Fable 2, I don't think another potential point of failure is a good idea.

X

Xeon

Natal won't be used for Fable 3.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Xeon;332553 said:
Natal won't be used for Fable 3.

Yes, I know. I already said that once.

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

Natal isn't as good as it can be. There should be two censors, one in front of you, and one on the side, so it can map out your body 3D, not just a black shadow on a white background. However, the 360 doesn't have nearly enough processing power for that. =(

Willstopher

Reaction score

how would you to be able to play an action rpg on project natal which doesn't even have a controller..

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

The question is moot. They say they aren't using it, so let's take them at their word until such point as they give us reason not to, because arguing about it is really dumb. And overly hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.