• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Death is not your fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score
Death is not your fate.

Getting killed, It's exactly like in Fable 2. It's the casual gamer, Get knocked out, Rise back with scars and lose some followers. I dunno if anyone else cares, but after watching the video with The Hero and Walter in the cave and seeing that, I was ****ed.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Death is not your fate.

Death in an Action-RPG is a complicated fact. I believe Lionhead has come with a good death system. Yes, you can die, however you will lose something important to you, your followers and your look.

Honestly, the usual death screen that asks you for "continue" or "exit" perhaps "load game" too, isn't that good either, also kind of annoying sometimes, especially in hard levels where a player can die easily.

Lets take in consideration that Fable III will be an Action game in the most part of it, Peter Molyneux said it himself many times over and over.

Hermit

Boy next door
Reaction score

Lol.

Dying in GTA sucks because you lose weapons, some money, and are put back at the hospital. It sucks to have to go reload a save or spend time buying more weapons and armour, and eventually gets REALLY frustrating.

Dying in Fable II and III: ... So... Just a scar and losing some followers? Lol, no problem.

You don't even get put back at the start of the level or room in Fable II and III, just "oh no I got knocked down. Boo hoo." I swear if the gaming industry sucks the Casual Gamer's *LOLCENSORED* any harder it's going to fall off.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Core gamers are rewarded with better weapon morphs (no notches from dying better morphs from better fighting). Sounds good to me. I know if I got knocked out (and that just doesn't happen) I'd be pretty ****ed at the permanent notch in my blade.

Casual gamers probably won't care about stuff like that so isn't that the best of both worlds?

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

Recycled Human;411719 said:
Core gamers are rewarded with better weapon morphs (no notches from dying better morphs from better fighting). Sounds good to me. I know if I got knocked out (and that just doesn't happen) I'd be pretty ****ed at the permanent notch in my blade.

Casual gamers probably won't care about stuff like that so isn't that the best of both worlds?

That's true. Hardcore gamers will be rewarded with better results and morphs, due to the fact they would lose hardly. Well, when you will see a real hardcore player, you will likely see a hero without any scar and a beautiful blade.

I agree, this is the best solution for both kinds of gamers.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

So, you guys don't think the hardcore gamer wants a challenge in the game? I don't know if I'm a hardcore gamer, but I do care that dying isn't at all that terrible. Maybe, in Fable III I'll care about the look of my awesome sword. =( But that's it.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score

D3m190d;411726 said:
So, you guys don't think the hardcore gamer wants a challenge in the game? I don't know if I'm a hardcore gamer, but I do care that dying isn't at all that terrible. Maybe, in Fable III I'll care about the look of my awesome sword. =( But that's it.

Who said that dying isn't terrible? We don't know how much is "some" followers, we can just assume that. When you lose followers, you also lose game progress. Think about it: you have 100 followers, you die and you lose 21, now you will have 89 followers.

You earn followers by quests and many other activities within the game, including killing, marriage and so on. Keeping yourself alive is a challenge alone, think about managing to lose as few followers as you can during your play through.

Recycled Human

Reaction score

A hardcore gamer will find a way to make the game challenging. Leaderboards are a perfect example.

Reaction score

I like that the fact You can't die, it emphasizes the characters invunerability as a hero more. I don't mind the death system they have put in.

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

... Here's my worry. They'll pull a knothole Island and let you fix scars, mess with height, burn fat, For almost no gold again. I mean, That's lame of you to get scarred as death and then just drink a potion and be a barbie doll, You know? Maybe that's just me.

And just getting knocked out after a bullet to the head Infinite times in a row? Kinda weird.

Wasabi

Cant play Fable 3 till Dec.
Reaction score

"Game Over" deaths take you out of the action. You die, you get the annoying but sympathetic Game Over screen, and you start back where you last saved or wherever, doomed to retrace the same path to achieve the same result over and over again until you finally prevail...

I don't think the Fable developers wanted that. I know for me it stales easily...

I agree with Recycled Human. People can make Fable harder for themselves. Get rid of all your Resurrection Phials and don't use any high end weapons. Fable is about choices, after all. :)

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

DarkONI;411727 said:
Who said that dying isn't terrible? We don't know how much is "some" followers, we can just assume that. When you lose followers, you also lose game progress. Think about it: you have 100 followers, you die and you lose 21, now you will have 89 followers.

You earn followers by quests and many other activities within the game, including killing, marriage and so on. Keeping yourself alive is a challenge alone, think about managing to lose as few followers as you can during your play through.

Well, I pretty much based it on Fable 2, where dying indeed isn't terrible. So, I hope in Fable III it's more terrible, so I will actually have to stay alive.
I also hope that you die quicker, because I got invincible in both Fable:TLC and Fable 2 rather quick... >_> No fun.
*note: It's indeed not really dying. Getting your progress reset. That sucks. It indeed takes you out of the action. That's no fun either. But I mean what I said above.

Shadow Knight

The Great Knight of Evil
Reaction score

**** casual gamers. What in the hell is the point in reworking games to suit someone's life style that just doesn't involve games anyway. Games are made to dimenstraight something you may never be able to do in real life. What we are seeing is a downspur. You used to have to apply yourself to win a game, you feel amazing after beating contra with a friend. Now its all sissy playland casual, come on man, what about the hardcore gamers who have yet to be satisfied with the games being put out lately??

The whole gaming industry started when people had excess money, and freetime. Now we are at the verge of economic collapse in america, and we are pumping out sixty dollar games?!?! No wonder pirating is up, if your game wouldn't suck and was worth the money, it would be bought more widely bought. All America is , is a business, a greedy one. The rich get richer the poor get poorer, and nobody says a thing. /rant

but seriously, where is the Fable I dream't about, is Fable 3 supposed to be it??? Well, took you long enough lionhead.

Wasabi

Reaction score

Because Shadow Knight, there are things called demographics, and yours isn't the only one. God forbid the gaming companies should try to appeal to anyone but you. =/

Anyway. It's my firm belief if you really don't like Fable that much...then what are you doing here? Sure there are complaints about the game- I have them myself, but if your complaint is actually the GAME, don't play it. Simple as that! :]

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

EDIT: Chick, Really? Nobodies complaint is the game. It's the fact the last was just damn easy. There was really not much of anything for hardcore gamers.

Wasabi

Reaction score

^I'm not a dude. I'm a chick.

Also, I didn't direct that last comment at anyone. I was just saying- if your complaint IS the game, don't play it. I think that's something that everyone can agree on.

Arc Caster

Sarcastic Slacker
Reaction score

Yeah, Okay. I dunno, It just seems ridiculous that there wasn't much of any consequence in 2 and in 3 they are shown using the same formula (As followers are "The new experience points.")

Recycled Human

Reaction score

America is a greedy business, but the founders intended it as such. The french Revolution and the industrial revolution revealed people for what they were. Selfish. So instead of working against that greed and forcing people to work together (against their instincts) or doing what all the previous governments had done by skimming the top for themselves(in spite of their instincts), the forefathers developed a system fueled by greed. Lionhead isn't working against the gaming community, quite the contrary they are trying to build it back up. Games should be a worldwide phenomenon, something that everyone does and that's where core gamers will find their niche, right in the middle of the casual gamers.

Games have evolved to encompass everyone, would you really want to isolate yourself from the vast majority with a game that's unplayable to all but the top elite?

As for the difficulty, shouldn't this fall squarely on the core gaming communities shoulders? Self imposed challenges validated by the community. Games like demons souls, now I'm really into hard games but seriously that game was almost unplayable. I'd rather have an easy game that I could make hard and when the going gets rough I could hulk through it to let out my frustration.

Edit : day late and a dollar short, but at least everyones gotta recognize 'mess with rh and he'll drop a novel on yo' ***

ciller

Reaction score

what they should do is when u dye u go to an after life depending on ur aliment were u have to do a quest (hard) to spawn back to were u died other wise u have to star from begining or checkpoint of quest or u just start from ur home rebel camp if there are any or castle sorry proble just out side the escape caves

POOP

Whatever floats your goat
Reaction score

I don't like the death system either, but you know that when you die, you can just load the game? Just pretend it's like any other game and reload it. Makes sense, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.