• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable desperately needs more Multi-Culturalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicOnTop

Reaction score
Re: Fable desperately needs more Multi-Culturalism

nstalaat;423720 said:
has anyone noticed that in most games where you can select to be black you're just a white person that's very tan?

i have indeed, its like they add it last minute to show there 'diversity'

VicOnTop

Reaction score

nevthe102;423307 said:
I think it would be cool to have an all black game that didn't involve gangsters or fighting, you know all the things that come with black nihilism

but i dont think anyone would buy it, tbh we associate violence and crime with blacks, i dont think we or atleast i can help it, its a stereotype, but a strong one blacks have reinforced over time. so to play a game were we are black and not violent, doesnt make sense

nstalaat

Never Knows Best
Reaction score

Also, what fun would a videogame be without violent characters?
Whether they're black or white, if they just stand there and have a normal life it wont be fun.

VicOnTop

Reaction score

nstalaat;423727 said:
Whether they're black or white, if they just stand there and have a normal life it wont be fun.

diddo

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

VicOnTop;423725 said:
so to play a game were we are black and not violent, doesnt make sense

Dude, that's racist. It's only African-Americans who reinforce that. Actually while writing this i just realised that black people in London are the majority of criminals. WELL i'm sure its not because of the colour of their skin anyway.

VicOnTop

Reaction score

Blestb;423731 said:
Dude, that's racist. It's only African-Americans who reinforce that. Actually while writing this i just realised that black people in London are the majority of criminals. WELL i'm sure its not because of the colour of their skin anyway.

i was waiting for someone to pull this card. im not racist. :(
i wasnt trying to be mean, i am just speaking my opinion. i respect blacks and what theyve gone through, but i'll still be honest.

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

We probably need less Multi-Cultuarlism really. The BBC had two tv shows on that were stupidly multi-cultural. Merlin and Robin Hood had African-American characters in a medieval setting which is ridiculous. Asian people yes, Black people noooooooooooooooo. Kids watching that might think that they were present in England at that time, in fact they probably will. Anyway the point is that multi-culturalism is often detrimental.

EDIT: To fiction. Had to edit otherwise that would sound horribly racist.

Reaction score

Blestb;423799 said:
We probably need less Multi-Cultuarlism really. The BBC had two tv shows on that were stupidly multi-cultural. Merlin and Robin Hood had African-American characters in a medieval setting which is ridiculous. Asian people yes, Black people noooooooooooooooo. Kids watching that might think that they were present in England at that time, in fact they probably will. Anyway the point is that multi-culturalism is often detrimental.

EDIT: To fiction. Had to edit otherwise that would sound horribly racist.

First of all Robin Hood & Merlin IS FICTIONAL
that means it isn't real. So if there is a T.V show about magic why would kids think it was historically acurate
STUPID.

Reaction score

And yes the is alot of crime in London but are you telling me its just Black people who do the crime in London, what about Asian's.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I don't see the point - I'm sorry, I just don't. I am so sick of the entertainment industry bowing to political correctness. Try to please everyone and you wind up pleasing no one. I mean, why not make the next Hero suffer from mental disabilities? Or yank a limb off and make the Hero physically disabled?

Better yet, make the Hero a blind, one-legged, mixed-race homosexual post-modern feminist with learning difficulties, a broken home life and a criminal record?

I just don't think a video game, especially Fable, needs to pander to "equality". If someone wants real life, real representation, turn off the console and go outside to mingle with real people who can fulfil that.

Reaction score
POOP;423472 said:
This may come across as racist, and it most likely is.

I don't think this will ever happen. Game developers make games that they would buy, and that a lot of people would buy. Considering how small of a demographic black people are in the U.S. and the U.K., your chances are pretty slim of getting one that isn't involving rappers and gansters. Most people involved in game production are white, and a game about black people who aren't gangsters made by a bunch of white guys would be even more awkward than a game about black people who are gangsters made by a bunch of white guys.

Maybe eventually in Japan, but even there the Japanese game characters often do not look Japanese or even Asian at all. Maybe they'll get around to making black characters who look Caucasian, but I doubt it.

Also, Fable is supposed to be in an England-like place, and as Tyrant Lord said, it wouldn't make much sense for the main character to be black. Maybe in Fable III you can dye your skin (just kidding you can't)!

Yes but I don't think there has been a game were a black people have been just gangsters, how do you know it won't sell if we haven't had any.
I mean lots of games come out and it has got a lead white character, whats the problem with having a lead black charcter in a game. It doesn't even have to been about race, just a game about black people that doesn't mainly focus around gangsters or black sterotypes.

Angel;423807 said:
I don't see the point - I'm sorry, I just don't. I am so sick of the entertainment industry bowing to political correctness. Try to please everyone and you wind up pleasing no one. I mean, why not make the next Hero suffer from mental disabilities? Or yank a limb off and make the Hero physically disabled?

Better yet, make the Hero a blind, one-legged, mixed-race homosexual post-modern feminist with learning difficulties, a broken home life and a criminal record?

I just don't think a video game, especially Fable, needs to pander to "equality". If someone wants real life, real representation, turn off the console and go outside to mingle with real people who can fulfil that.

Come one were in 2010 and we can't even have a lead black hero in a game
That really shows how backwood some people are.
But I understand you don't want to ruin the game buy being politically correct about everything.

And I just want to through this aout there if someone could explain this to me.
Why are the gypsies in Fable 2 black and a bit taned when gypsies originate from Romania.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

nevthe102;423810 said:
Come one were in 2010 and we can't even have a lead black hero in a game
That really shows how backwood some people are.
But I understand you don't want to ruin the game buy being politically correct about everything.
If it were a game set in a more modern time period, I wouldn't see an issue so much. It's just that Fable, despite its tongue-in-cheek approach with a few things like union jack pants and air guitar, is predominantly set in olde worlde type regions and it would have been very unusual to see lots of different ethnicities roaming around the area.

One way to combat this would be to have the option to travel by ship to other lands where white would be unusual - or even to start from another country and travel to Albion to begin the quest proper. I doubt they'll do this, but it would have been a compromise of sorts had ethnicity really been an issue for the developers.

Termion

Reaction score

nstalaat;423727 said:

(cough) The Sims (cough)

Blestb

Colour me intrigued
Reaction score

nevthe102;423803 said:
First of all Robin Hood & Merlin IS FICTIONAL
that means it isn't real. So if there is a T.V show about magic why would kids think it was historically acurate
STUPID.

Wow, your rapier wit has indeed put me in my place. I imagine kids would think that because fiction is often based in fact and they are, in fact, kids. You seem to have missed the edit where i said 'In Fiction'. Either that or your steaming hot retort was just too good to go to waste. I for one have never seen the word 'Stupid' used in such an effective manner, stripping me of any self confidence and stunning me with your dazzling wordplay. You ****.

Reaction score

Blestb;423884 said:
Wow, your rapier wit has indeed put me in my place. I imagine kids would think that because fiction is often based in fact and they are, in fact, kids. You seem to have missed the edit where i said 'In Fiction'. Either that or your steaming hot retort was just too good to go to waste. I for one have never seen the word 'Stupid' used in such an effective manner, stripping me of any self confidence and stunning me with your dazzling wordplay. You ****.

hahahah.
That was funny, but still if kids wanted historical evidence or life in the past they should watch the history channel

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score

Angel;423807 said:

I think I'm in love.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

Angel;423807 said:

Agreed. +rep

VicOnTop

Reaction score

i dont even think there were black gangsters. until the black panthers came along. and they where anti-white

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Angel;423807 said:
I don't see the point - I'm sorry, I just don't. I am so sick of the entertainment industry bowing to political correctness. Try to please everyone and you wind up pleasing no one. I mean, why not make the next Hero suffer from mental disabilities? Or yank a limb off and make the Hero physically disabled?.
Haha yeah, like Resident Evil 5. They did everything correct.
The game took place somewhere in Africa, so all the zombies are black, right?
So throughout the whole game you only encounter - and shoot - black zombies.

It is politically correct, being set in Africa and all - but it still made a lot of people ****ed ^_^

Like Mass Effect having those "nude" scenes - that was good.
Would-be experts saying the games ruining the youth, when there's more sex in an average action movie.
They didn't even comment on all the violence

I guess violence doesn't matter as long as there's sex involved...

Status
Not open for further replies.