• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

FALLOUT 4

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Trying my best to resist the hype, but I can definitely say I'm pumped for this game. Bring on November, or in my case Christmas. :lol:

Precipice

Reaction score
I have been avoiding these discussions as much as possible. I'm still skipping a ton of stuff on the subject of Fallout 4. I'm not one of those spoilers people, but it's nice to just absorb everything all at once.

Every now and then a game is announced that tempts me to buy a console. Won't do it. Especially a game like Fallout, my way of interfacing with a game like this has adapted for mouse and keyboard controls, I have evolved to use them to play these games. My concern is not having enough muscles on my computer to handle it. Gonna have to shell out to beef up my PC. :(

people now fearing that the main protagonist will be fully voice-acted
I think that's a legit concern. There are certain things I want from a game, and things I don't want. I don't want to play a character who might, without my consent, talk a bunch of garbage. This was present in the ME games as well, but I at least had some say over what they say. Completely unrelated genres: Telltale games. Cool thing about those, I can have my character say nothing. For me, you can put that on a bulleted list on the side of the box:
  • Fully realized game stuff.
  • Pretty colors.
  • Things blows up.
  • Kill someone with their own severed arms.
  • Playable character doesn't say stupid ****.

I can't wait. It's definitely my favorite style of game and only Bethesda knows how to make them the way I like.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Seems they have taken what they learned with Fallout 3, heard what people didnt like in New Vegas (even though they didnt develop it) and brought in and expanded some ideas that people liked in Skyrim to blend them all together. Im excited and going to be juggling this and The Witcher 3 for some time I would say, not to mention my Steam library filling up too.
Yeah, I'm really happy to see them fixing all the negative feedback from FO3 & Skyrim in FO4. Trying to get through as much of my library as I can at the moment, currently shuffling through FO2, FO3, Witcher 3, Dues Ex: HR, TR Legend, and Just Cause 2... ugh.. -_-

Still, I do hope they truly have redone everything and completely go above and beyond, don't half ass it. Especially when it comes to the writing and storytelling, which I felt was lacking in both FO3 & Skyrim, but Todd emphasized about doing Fallout right, so I'm willing to trust them.
Trying my best to resist the hype, but I can definitely say I'm pumped for this game. Bring on November, or in my case Christmas. :lol:
I don't want to get over-hyped either, as Skyrim was severely hyped but ended up being too shallow of a game (sans mods) to live up to it on its own. But everything I've seen and read on FO4 just keeps hitting all the right spots, everything I've ever wanted in a Fallout game I'm getting in this one so it's hard to hold back. D:
I have been avoiding these discussions as much as possible. I'm still skipping a ton of stuff on the subject of Fallout 4. I'm not one of those spoilers people, but it's nice to just absorb everything all at once.

Every now and then a game is announced that tempts me to buy a console. Won't do it. Especially a game like Fallout, my way of interfacing with a game like this has adapted for mouse and keyboard controls, I have evolved to use them to play these games. My concern is not having enough muscles on my computer to handle it. Gonna have to shell out to beef up my PC. :(
I'm usually the same way, I prefer not to know anything when going in so I can just be pleasantly blown away on my first time. Witcher 3 was the last game I did that with, but with FO4 there was a rather sizeable amount of fear mongering rumors rolling around that I really wanted the info to clear things up (so I knew exactly what I was buying). One thing leads to another and next thing I know I'm addicted to the Fallout info like a Jet junkie. But I'm definitely still avoiding the story spoilers as best I can, plus they've yet to show any of the Female gameplay so I'll still get to have a fresh experience on that front.

They said they're not going to announce the system requirements until a month before release, but considering it's capped at 1080p/30fps on both consoles, I don't think it'll require that much beefy muscle to get an enjoyable run out of it. Not to mention the modding community will perform their masterful wizardry and further optimize the game more than Bethesda will (as was the case with all of their previous games). If you can already max out Skyrim, then I think you'll be fine.
Precipice said:
I think that's a legit concern. There are certain things I want from a game, and things I don't want. I don't want to play a character who might, without my consent, talk a bunch of garbage. This was present in the ME games as well, but I at least had some say over what they say. Completely unrelated genres: Telltale games. Cool thing about those, I can have my character say nothing. For me, you can put that on a bulleted list on the side of the box:
  • Fully realized game stuff.
  • Pretty colors.
  • Things blows up.
  • Kill someone with their own severed arms.
  • Playable character doesn't say stupid ****.

I can't wait. It's definitely my favorite style of game and only Bethesda knows how to make them the way I like.
Weeeeell, the main character does have ambient dialogue unfortunately so they'll randomly say stuff when lockpicking, hacking terminals, examining certain objects, and so on... but it's not overdone. I'm still not sure how I feel about that though as it can really pull away from the type of character you're roleplaying as. On the other hand, there will definitely be mods that mute the character from mouthing off without your permission, so it's not too bad I guess. Still, from what I've heard so far the voice acting is really good for both genders so my initial fear of a voiced protagonist has been quelled.

What I definitely don't like at the moment though is the dialogue interface, the options are way too vague to know what exactly is going to come out of my character's mouth (a la Mass Effect). I was hoping they'd use the Dues Ex: HR preview method so you don't have any unwanted surprises, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Double-postin' time again! Some Gamescom tidbits were released, though sadly Bethesda DID IT AGAIN with an exclusive presentation for attendees-only. Bah!?

Extra info:
- There is no level cap in the game, nada, zilch, zero. It'll just keep on going, though you'll eventually max out of the perks available to your SPECIAL stats.
- There is no end game after the main story, just like The Elder Scrolls you can keep on sandboxing forever.
- There are loading screens in the game after all, but only for massive locations such as a giant building, otherwise it's all seamless. Loading screens only last a few seconds at that and are mainly for the entrance/exit of said location rather than all throughout.

- Clarification on the SPECIAL/Perk System: There are no skills anymore, they're replaced by Perk Ranks, with a maximum of 4 per Perk if it requires a rank. You can choose any perk you want right off the bat, as long as it's within your SPECIAL stats. So for example if you're Level 1 and have 10 points in Charisma, you can immediately go straight for the Charisma Perk that requires CHR 10, instead of having to start at the bottom and work your way up.

The perk ranks are still the same as FO3's skill system, just without the pointless incremental skill points that never mattered until you got past the quarter threshold, i.e.: Perk Ranks 1, 2, 3, 4 = Skill Points 25, 50, 75, 100. I like it, it's straight to the point and it doesn't have to give you some false illusion that each little point makes a difference. Good move, Beth.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Sounds better and better with every piece of info I see, wish I had more time to actually play games at the moment as im struggling to find time with The Witcher 3 and with this coming soon too my years going to be dedicated to them both at this rate.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
That's another couple concerns covered. Can't wait for this game, sounds Beth are really putting their heart and soul into it. ^_^

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Sounds better and better with every piece of info I see, wish I had more time to actually play games at the moment as im struggling to find time with The Witcher 3 and with this coming soon too my years going to be dedicated to them both at this rate.
Indeed, I keep thinking there can't be much else to show or unveil at this rate... turns out of course there is. What makes it even harder is the fact that games like Witcher 3 & FO4 aren't the kind of games you can just pick up and get your fix from a short 30min-1hr burst session. Many people have already booked their 1-2week vacations for its release day, but even then, we all know that still won't be enough time for something like this. God have mercy on you if you plan to play on PC with mods. :lol:
That's another couple concerns covered. Can't wait for this game, sounds Beth are really putting their heart and soul into it. ^_^
Aye, I know there's folks out there that really wanted to have a permanent ending for FO4, but that's definitely not for me. I hate it for games like this where it feels like you have this endgame shadow looming over you. Pushing you to finish everything in the game before the final main quest. Then that's it, either start over or continue roleplaying on your last save. Let me keep playing & roleplaying in a world that continues to live and breathe on its own and never stops, just because the main quest or ending slideshow said so.

It really does feel that way, like I mentioned before I haven't seen Bethesda Game Studios this excited for one of their own games since Morrowind & Oblivion, which i feel are still their best efforts to this day. I'm so glad they took their time with this one with 4 years in development whereas Skyrim was 3 years and Fallout 3 was only 2 years. I can't recall many games that managed to live up to their own hype, but I'm willing to believe that FO4 is on it''s way to being one of those few.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Indeed, I keep thinking there can't be much else to show or unveil at this rate... turns out of course there is. What makes it even harder is the fact that games like Witcher 3 & FO4 aren't the kind of games you can just pick up and get your fix from a short 30min-1hr burst session. Many people have already booked their 1-2week vacations for its release day, but even then, we all know that still won't be enough time for something like this. God have mercy on you if you plan to play on PC with mods. :lol:

I will likely opt for the PC version and should hopefully have some more time to game soon. I have almost finished all my painting & finished moving Jacks bedroom to another room now (built him a new bed yesterday). So with any luck I should have some extended time to sit and have some good sessions and make some progress, doesnt help that 2 months after FO4 releases I will have a newborn baby however. :lol:

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Gamescom footage was leaked yesterday albeit of the shaky bootleg variety, still, it was inevitable. I'm not gonna bother linking to the actual video as the entire thing isn't worth the time which featured a lot of shoulder-on-shoulder action, big heads in front, and a blotchy white mess on screen... and no, not the kind you're thinking of.

Instead, I'll link to this page which grabbed quick footage snippets of the worthwhile highlights of the leak and are indeed visually fair to the eyes. More worth it in my opinion. It does show off a part of the perk chart though nothing is spoiled other than how it looks (guy's head blocks the descriptions). Lockpicking, terminal hacking, and exterior-to-interior transitions are shown off as well as other gameplay.

http://fallout4.blog.jp/archives/39600818.html#more

Enjoy.

Also. Watermelons confirmed. :wub:

I will likely opt for the PC version and should hopefully have some more time to game soon. I have almost finished all my painting & finished moving Jacks bedroom to another room now (built him a new bed yesterday). So with any luck I should have some extended time to sit and have some good sessions and make some progress, doesnt help that 2 months after FO4 releases I will have a newborn baby however. :lol:
Good choice, I'll be joining you on that front as well. Hope so, I already feel bad that you haven't been able to enjoy TW3 properly as of late as it's so damn good, I'm sorry. ... :steve: is the bedroom Fallout themed? 2 months is too soon... FO4 or Fatherhood.. FO4, Fatherhood, FO4, Fatherhood, FO4, Fatherhood.......... FO4...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Good choice, I'll be joining you on that front as well. Hope so, I already feel bad that you haven't been able to enjoy TW3 properly as of late as it's so damn good, I'm sorry. ... :steve: is the bedroom Fallout themed? 2 months is too soon... FO4 or Fatherhood.. FO4, Fatherhood, FO4, Fatherhood, FO4, Fatherhood.......... FO4...

I have managed to play the last episode of Game of Thrones & set up streaming from XB1 to PC easily so hoping now most my DIY is done I can get play it again soon now I can play downstairs too.

Already been looking for a vault dweller baby grow. :lol:

Precipice

Reaction score
What, no one else considered getting a vault dweller baby grow for themselves?

Well then.

One of the things I enjoyed about the Fallout games is how much the location affects the environment and feel of the game. This is kind of true with Elder Scroll games but I always end up being pretty much the same sword and shield build. But in FO3 I was a city slickin' pistol slingin' smooth talkin' thief, in NV I was a no nonsense cowboy rifleman, and I can't imagine myself playing those games any other way. I wonder what I'll be in this one.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I have managed to play the last episode of Game of Thrones & set up streaming from XB1 to PC easily so hoping now most my DIY is done I can get play it again soon now I can play downstairs too.

Already been looking for a vault dweller baby grow. :lol:
Hey maybe you can get Amy to stitch one up for the little guy. I'm surprised Bethesda hasn't attempted to sell such goodies yet, that's a million dollar opportunity being completely wasted.
And I'll get a vault dweller baby grow for my cat! :w00t:

;_;
It'll be glorious.
What, no one else considered getting a vault dweller baby grow for themselves?

Well then.

One of the things I enjoyed about the Fallout games is how much the location affects the environment and feel of the game. This is kind of true with Elder Scroll games but I always end up being pretty much the same sword and shield build. But in FO3 I was a city slickin' pistol slingin' smooth talkin' thief, in NV I was a no nonsense cowboy rifleman, and I can't imagine myself playing those games any other way. I wonder what I'll be in this one.
I've always gotten myself into the charismatic renegade build for just about everything these days, so I'm not sure what I'll end up attempting this time for FO4. I've been really interested in maybe trying a silver-tongued pacifist build, see just how many situations I can resolve without resorting to mindless violence. Something that I haven't found to be too capable of in the recent Fallouts & Elder Scrolls, but I'm playing FO2 at the moment and I'm pleasantly surprised at just how viable a charisma build is for survival.

I agree about the environments as well, one of the main things I really hope there will be a lot of is vertical gameplay. That layer of verticality could open the doors for so many situations and especially for stealth builds, but Bethesda have always had trouble with climb mechanics in their games since the start of Morrowind. I want to be able to climb objects to escape from a horde of ghouls or a ravenous deathclaw, I want to be able to climb various buildings for a cozy camp spot with my sniper expert, and so on. There's so many opportunities to be had from just that one simple feature.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I've always gotten myself into the charismatic renegade build for just about everything these days, so I'm not sure what I'll end up attempting this time for FO4. I've been really interested in maybe trying a silver-tongued pacifist build, see just how many situations I can resolve without resorting to mindless violence. Something that I haven't found to be too capable of in the recent Fallouts & Elder Scrolls, but I'm playing FO2 at the moment and I'm pleasantly surprised at just how viable a charisma build is for survival.

I usually end up as the hopelessly loot hungry white knight.
"Alright, I'll end your suffering, people, when you tell me the location of that rare artifact stash."

Also I can't pass on chasing the booty since playing NWN, because the dialogue options were so damn funny. It is both a blessing and a curse that recent games go through with the romance options. You won't get disappointed for your efforts, but at the same time the failed womanizer aspect of the main hero added charm and humour.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Some surprising news on Fallout 4 now, in a video podcast with Shoddycast, Courtnay Taylor (female protag) and the voice director Kal-El Bagdanove were talking dialogue in the game and believe it or not... said that Fallout 4 will feature over 170,000 lines of voiced dialogue. Just to help you guys gauge that number...

Fallout 3 had over 40,000 lines of voiced dialogue.
Fallout NV had over 65,000 lines of voiced dialogue (current Guiness World Record for single-player only game)
And the entire Mass Effect trilogy had a combined total of over 85,000 lines of dialogue.
It's also ~30,000 lines short from matching the mmo Star Wars: The Old Replublic at 200,000 lines.

That's an unbelievable amount of jaw-jacking.
Video automatically jumps to where he mentions it:

Bagdanove later jokes in the video that you won't hear 175,000 Boston-heavy accents in the game (Todd mentioned the same in an E3 article), implying a good bit of vocal diversity. Its a good video overall.
I usually end up as the hopelessly loot hungry white knight.
"Alright, I'll end your suffering, people, when you tell me the location of that rare artifact stash."
Also I can't pass on chasing the booty since playing NWN, because the dialogue options were so damn funny. It is both a blessing and a curse that recent games go through with the romance options. You won't get disappointed for your efforts, but at the same time the failed womanizer aspect of the main hero added charm and humour.
Hopefully the romantic pursuits will be fleshed out and can have consequences this time around. It was utterly embarrassing in Skyrim as you could marry just about anyone from just wearing a simple amulet around your neck and you could never be denied. I mean even Fable required you to work for it, albeit with farts, but still. If they can allow for romantic failure in FO4 I'll be quite happily impressed.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Fallout 3 had over 40,000 lines of voiced dialogue.
Fallout NV had over 65,000 lines of voiced dialogue (current Guiness World Record for single-player only game)
And the entire Mass Effect trilogy had a combined total of over 85,000 lines of dialogue.
It's also ~30,000 lines short from matching the mmo Star Wars: The Old Replublic at 200,000 lines.
Skyrim only had 60,000

WHAT

other-guys-computer-smash-o.gif

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
A new interview with Pete Hines and the main takeaway being that from now until launch they won't be releasing anymore news/info on the game's plot. Or in Uncle Pete's words:
“I would be stunned if we said anything else about the story ever again [prior to launch],” says Hines. “We’re going to let everybody experience that in the game as much as possible. But there are certain trade-offs you have to make to build some amount of awareness to what the game is offering, so you’re willing to make some sacrifices.”
Source

So I'm honestly quite pleased with that, I mean a part of me really wants to know so I can better guage what kind of character I want to create & play as. At the same time though I definitely want to have that experience I had when I first played Fallout 2 & 3 and had absolutely no idea what I was getting into where my initial playthrough reactions consist of genuine awe. They've already shown off a substantial amount of gameplay content in my opinion (and the countless meticulous details and tidbits that communities have picked apart, half of which I've already forgotten about anyway), so I think they've managed enough. Though I won't lie, I do want more..

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
And another double post.

Anyway, Bethesda confirmed on Twitter yesterday that Fallout 4 will have just over 111,000 lines of voiced dialogue, more than FO3 & Skyrim together, and still more than the Mass Effect trilogy combined with almost 40k to spare. I guess the voice director in that interview awhile back had accidentally rounded out a few ten-thousandths too many.

On top of that, they had also released some more concept art and claimed twice the amount of assets were created compared to Skyrim, of course that doesn't mean all of said will have been used, but still pretty cool. I'm definitely looking forward to having the art book though.

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/636555265702297605

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
And another double post.

Anyway, Bethesda confirmed on Twitter yesterday that Fallout 4 will have just over 111,000 lines of voiced dialogue, more than FO3 & Skyrim together, and still more than the Mass Effect trilogy combined with almost 40k to spare. I guess the voice director in that interview awhile back had accidentally rounded out a few ten-thousandths too many.

On top of that, they had also released some more concept art and claimed twice the amount of assets were created compared to Skyrim, of course that doesn't mean all of said will have been used, but still pretty cool. I'm definitely looking forward to having the art book though.

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/636555265702297605

I'm glad they are finally embracing more voices and more varied conversation paths as conpared to some titles the boic work in previous Bethesda games fell a little short.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'm glad they are finally embracing more voices and more varied conversation paths as conpared to some titles the boic work in previous Bethesda games fell a little short.
That's an understatement, I know they touted over 70 voice actors for Skyrim but that game really felt like there were only 10 voice actors. They're too in the habit of assigning one actor to a race & gender, I guess to make the process more smoother and less time consuming. But I can't express how jarring it is to have two NPCs literally next to each other with the exact same voice (and in some cases even talking to each other). I really hope they fixed that this time around, this isn't Oblivion anymore.