• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Favourite RETRO Game? (before 2005)

Reaction score
gotta be megaman hasnt it. love a bit of: cuts man, guts man, ice man, bomb man, fire man, elec man and co.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score
Pong :p I played that game for hours at a time with my dad before he died.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Well, if Fable counts, then I'd have to say that. But aside from Fable, my favorites would have to be Freelancer and anything from Pokemon. Props to anyone who remembers Freelancer.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Well, if Fable counts, then I'd have to say that. But aside from Fable, my favorites would have to be Freelancer and anything from Pokemon. Props to anyone who remembers Freelancer.

Freelancer was the shiz.

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score
Going even past N64, I was not a SNES kid but a Genesis. Sonic.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
I once stayed up till ten oclock (even though it felt like the next morning to my four year old mind) playing Sonic with my mum. Classic times.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
Older than 2005 = retro? I think a youngin' made this thread.

Super Mario RPG, Marble Madness, A game whose title escapes me but had something to do with light sabers and was not Star Wars related, Super Mario World, That one 3D dirt bike racing game on the SNES, Warcraft 2 (back when Warcraft was, you know, good), and quite a few others I am forgetting.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
All the time! T'was ages ago though, I really don't remember a lot.

Do you have a current generation substitute for Freelancer?

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Do you have a current generation substitute for Freelancer?

I wish. I looked around for a while, but found nothing decent. The closest thing was Eve, and I never bothered to get into that because of the monthly payments. I always wished Fable's multiplayer would be like Freelancer's, but I know a lot of people wouldn't like that. A full on MMO type of multiplayer would be bad for Fable though.

What server(s) did you play on? I was on Vanguard 1, but I moved around to some others (Void, FLU, Discovery) after it started dying.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
I wish. I looked around for a while, but found nothing decent. The closest thing was Eve, and I never bothered to get into that because of the monthly payments. I always wished Fable's multiplayer would be like Freelancer's, but I know a lot of people wouldn't like that. A full on MMO type of multiplayer would be bad for Fable though.

I've always liked the X series because of it's Oblivion-like scope, but it's controls were somewhat lacking. With their latest release (X3: Terran Conflict), though, they've started using controls which are pretty similar to Freelancer. Now, I'd be very comfortable in saying it's probably the best space opera game there's ever been.

What server(s) did you play on? I was on Vanguard 1, but I moved around to some others (Void, FLU, Discovery) after it started dying.

Man, it's been so long. I can't remember the characters names (except Jun'ko Zane, she was hot) let alone what servers I played on. I think it was just any one that didn't have a password.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Man, it's been so long. I can't remember the characters names (except Jun'ko Zane, she was hot) let alone what servers I played on. I think it was just any one that didn't have a password.

Ah, so you just moved around a lot? I stayed on Vanguard 1 for a long time. I settled in there, got to know everyone in the community, joined a clan, etc. I think the best part about the game was what the Vanguard community made the multiplayer experience into.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
Ah, so you just moved around a lot? I stayed on Vanguard 1 for a long time. I settled in there, got to know everyone in the community, joined a clan, etc. I think the best part about the game was what the Vanguard community made the multiplayer experience into.

Yeah, I never really anchored myself like that. I think I played more LAN games anyway.

Have you played X3 though?

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score
Given that you consider pre 2005 retro, The Suffering for xbox original all the way. First game I played was sonic the hedgehog on Sega GAMEGEAR, remember that thing?

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
No, never heard of it. Do people still play? And how similar is it to Freelancer?

Think of it as Freelancer done Oblivion style. You can own space stations and freighters, which you can use to operate enourmous trade empires. You can own fighter wings and even fly huge capital ships and decimate entire sectors. There are four or five small main quests (which I think is the way to go), and the universe has a rich history which provide's and awesome context for the player to operate in.

And the best part is that Egosoft have released a patch which removes the copy protection.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Think of it as Freelancer done Oblivion style. You can own space stations and freighters, which you can use to operate enourmous trade empires. You can own fighter wings and even fly huge capital ships and decimate entire sectors. There are four or five small main quests (which I think is the way to go), and the universe has a rich history which provide's and awesome context for the player to operate in.

And the best part is that Egosoft have released a patch which removes the copy protection.

Doesn't sound too bad. If there's a decent amount of combat, then I might check it out. I haven't played Oblivion much though, so I can't really think of it in that way.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score
There's heaps of combat if you know where to look for it.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
Given that you consider pre 2005 retro, The Suffering for xbox original all the way. First game I played was sonic the hedgehog on Sega GAMEGEAR, remember that thing?

Dude, Gamegear was the ****. You could watch TV on it with the right adapter. Too bad it ate batteries like I eat cake.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score
Wouldn't really call games from 2005 retro.
GOTY 2005:
IGN: God of War
GameSpy: Call of Duty 2

Meh...

To me retro is arcade or near-arcade games. like Teenage Mutants Ninja Turtles from.. I don't know 1989 or something. (you can buy it off Xbox live now)