• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fight Thunder and become mayor (SPOILERS)

L

locutus

Fight Thunder and become mayor (SPOILERS)

This is probably old news to most, but might be of news to new people - even newer than me. If you complete the quest to investigate the mayor and free the prisoner, you won't be able to do the quests to court her. If you complete the quests to court the mayor, you can't complete the quest to investigate her and free the prisoner. Is there any way to do both? Last time I married Grey so this time I wanted to be mayor, but I wanted to see if I could still do most of the quests to court her.

All you do is talk to the prisoner (doing this first is probably not necessary) and then do all the quests to court Grey including fighting Thunder, but don't talk to her afterwards. If you talk to her afterwards then you can't investigate her. After fighting Thunder, continue with the quest to investigate her. You'll then be able to choose whether you want to marry her and cover up the murder or become mayor and free the prisoner.

I am now Maleficus - the face-tattooed, mohawk wearing, horned mayor of Bowerstone. People didn't seem very enthusiastic about me becoming mayor. The news was greeted with only polite applause. I was expecting people to call me "Mr. Mayor" now, but no they all act the same as before. People run when they see me. They scream in terror and drop whatever they're carrying. The guards are also the same. They tell me they're watching me and I'd better not cause trouble. Is that any way for guards to talk to their mayor?

Did you know that "maleficus" is a real word? It's Latin. The English version is "malefic". It doesn't sound like English, but it's in the dictionary. It means "evil". Heh heh. So my name is entirely appropriate. :)

A

Azrooh

Re: Fight Thunder and become mayor (SPOILERS)

I don't see why you'd WANT to become mayor...All it does it prevent you from getting Ronok the Axe, which you can sell for a ton of profit in SnowSpire, not to mention the 15,000 dowry you get when you marry her.

Jimbo1425

MASTER ASSASSIN
Reaction score

also lady grey will give u the solus greatsword as a gift which is worth around $170,000 that is sold in the shop of bowerstone north

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yes, but some of us allow our real-world morality to get in the way of our game-playing immorality; and so fail to get the super-badax, cheap Solus, and 15,000 gold.

Though we do get Hiryu, because upon becoming mayor you gain access to the Manor. At least in TLC. I'm not sure that you do in the original.

And yes, you can go pretty far down both paths before you get cut off. I'm not sure that you can fight Thunder and still turn her in... I want to say that you automatically go to talking to her after that. Or did you already try it and it worked?

A

Azrooh

Walker;169757 said:
Yes, but some of us allow our real-world morality to get in the way of our game-playing immorality; and so fail to get the super-badax, cheap Solus, and 15,000 gold.

Though we do get Hiryu, because upon becoming mayor you gain access to the Manor. At least in TLC. I'm not sure that you do in the original.

And yes, you can go pretty far down both paths before you get cut off. I'm not sure that you can fight Thunder and still turn her in... I want to say that you automatically go to talking to her after that. Or did you already try it and it worked?

You can't become the mayor in the first Fable.

After you beat Thunder, you have to talk to her, so yes, you can still turn on her... I think.

You can't turn on her after you're married, the guy to start the quest gets 'executed'.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Yes, I know you can't do it after you get married. Again, I'm not sure about after you fight Thunder.

And I'm not sure if you could be mayor in 1 or not... I want to say that you could, but at this point it was so long ago I can't even say with any certainty that you could even investigate her... or at least I didn't figure it out until I played TLC. So really, I have no idea.

L

locutus

Walker;169757 said:

I already tried it and it worked as I described it. After fighting Thunder I did not automatically end up talking to Grey. I teleported to Barrow Fields and worked on the quest to investigate her. When I was in the cellar, she appeared and asked for the letter. I chose not to give it to her. I returned to Bowerstone, spoke to the sheriff - just inside Bowerstone North - and became mayor.

L

locutus

Regarding the Solus sword and all the money. First, by the time I made it to Bowerstone North, my guile was high enough that I could make over 20000 (twenty thousand) gold in one session of buy-sell back with the trader. 1 session means I bought a bunch of stuff and then sold it back to him. I then had 20000 gold more than before. I did it a few times (6 or 7) and raised my net worth from about 100,000 to well over 200,000. I then bought the Solus sword in case I needed a sword. I then did a few more buy-sell back sessions until I had 100,000 gold again. Total time for this was maybe 2 minutes. So gold isn't much of an inducement to marry Grey since it's so easy to get all the gold you need. Also, since I'm playing as a pure mage, I hardly ever use a melee weapon, so I didn't know if I would ever even need the Solus sword. I've only used a melee weapon twice: after the hobbe killing contest I had to show Whisper I knew how to flourish and then later I had to use a melee weapon to kill the white balverine. So I bought the Solus sword in case I needed it, but I haven't so far.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Good for you.

One side-comment-- you don't need to use a melee weapon to kill the Balverine. You can also use a bow.

Out of curiosity, if you're a will-user how did you get such high guile?

Also, please don't double-post-- it's very annoying. Also against the rules, if I remember correctly. Just edit your old post. Like I just did. To add this part after "--annoying."

L

locutus

Walker;170060 said:
Good for you.

One side-comment-- you don't need to use a melee weapon to kill the Balverine. You can also use a bow.

Out of curiosity, if you're a will-user how did you get such high guile?

Also, please don't double-post-- it's very annoying. Also against the rules, if I remember correctly. Just edit your old post. Like I just did. To add this part after "--annoying."

I don't understand your question about Guile. Whether I was a mage, archer or warrior, I would still train Guile so I could barter. Also, Skill increases when you barter. So after a few bartering sessions, I can go back to the guild and train Guile with the Skill XP I've earned. If it's not enough I'll use General XP. As Guile increases your bartering becomes more effective, probably earning Skill XP faster. Just rinse and repeat.

A double-post is the same post twice. Did you mean having 2 posts in a row is against the rules? The only rules I could find are in a post you can read by clicking the "Rules" button at the top right of the web page. It doesn't say anything about "double-posting" or having 2 posts in a row. It does say

"Multiple or continuous posting in order to raise your post rank is forbidden"

I wouldn't describe 2 posts as "multiple" or "continuous". Also, I wasn't trying to raise my post rank so I don't think I broke any rule.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

You're right, you can raise it by trading, too. I always forget about that.

"Did you mean having 2 posts in a row is against the rules" Yes/No. That is indeed a double post. You post once, you post again. One, two. Two is double. It doesn't mean that you post the same thing twice, though doing that is double posting as well. And no, there isn't a specific rule against double-posting, although there are two rules that could apply. On the other hand, those are rules that are more intention and frequent repetition-based than anything else, so they don't really apply.

All you need to do if you have more to say is edit. No need to reply to yourself. And 2 is "multiple." mul·ti·ple
premium.gif
(mŭl'tə-pəl) Pronunciation Key
adj. Having, relating to, or consisting of more than one individual, element, part, or other component; manifold. Dictionary.com. Not that I'm accusing you of trying to crank up your post count. Just thought I'd point that out.

Not that I even care all that much. But it's still a bit annoying, especially when you post, then post again a bit less than an hour later. What can I say-- I'm an asshole who is easily annoyed. Let's not get all combative. I think I should probably shut up.