• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Knothole is fake

X

Xeon

Knothole is fake

Here's the Fable map:

albion.jpg

Here's the Fable II map:

custom_1233779888756_albion.JPG

Now combined:

fable1fable2map.jpg

Here's where knothole is located according to Lionhead: http://www.lionhead.com/fable2/TalesofAlbion/Default.aspx

Expand on this please

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Knothole is fake

You need to take into account the inaccuracy of the old calligraphers. :ninja:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

HeroOfCrapsalot;312795 said:

Yeah, they did mention something like that in a book in-game-- it makes a good excuse.

But yeah, on the new map it's a very small island, and the story was that the Knothole Glade people rediscovered it a long time after the initial inhabitants died out or abandoned it. Is it any surprise that it wouldn't appear on an older map?

jwc2200

Reaction score

HeroOfCrapsalot;312795 said:

I'm not trying to belittle you, but if you mean mapmakers, the word is cartographers.
If you mean scribes, who copy the work of others, then calligrapher could work.

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

The most a plate is moving a year is 2 cm, which is North America and South America drifting apart, I believe. 2 x 500 = 1000. The most it could really move is 1 kilometre. Plus, if they constantly travelled back and forth throughout the years, they won't be able to tell much difference. Also, 1 kilometre on the ocean is next to nothing. It's probably the problem of the cartographers.

sm0007-GibsonOldWorld1758.jpg

And once again, Knothole Island (which consists of Knothole Glade, except new inhabitants) was not discovered until the DLC (correct me if I'm wrong). Since Knothole Island didn't "exist", it was not on the map.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Arladerus;312977 said:
The most a plate is moving a year is 2 cm
But they didn't know that ;D

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

jwc2200;312842 said:
I'm not trying to belittle you, but if you mean mapmakers, the word is cartographers.

Ooops. I didn't even notice that mistake.

Daemon300;312940 said:
Well... They are 500 years apart. And plates move each year a lot. If you don't know what I'm talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectonic_plate

No. Just... no. Do you have any concept AT ALL of just how slow plate tectonics are? 500 years is NOTHING, geologically speaking. And in-game, even if that were a reasonable explanation, it makes no sense. Let's play Occam's Razor. Simple explanation is the best. Simple explanation is crappy cartography. Not plate tectonics.

Arladerus said:
The most a plate is moving a year is 2 cm, which is North America and South America drifting apart, I believe. 2 x 500 = 1000. The most it could really move is 1 kilometre. Plus, if they constantly travelled back and forth throughout the years, they won't be able to tell much difference. Also, 1 kilometre on the ocean is next to nothing. It's probably the problem of the cartographers.

Edit: Reply to Arladerus

sm0007-GibsonOldWorld1758.jpg

And once again, Knothole Island (which consists of Knothole Glade, except new inhabitants) was not discovered until the DLC (correct me if I'm wrong). Since Knothole Island didn't "exist", it was not on the map.

I'm not disagreeing, but I wanted to point something out-- a kilometer is a thousand meters. A thousand centimeters is 10 meters, which is still more than I expected. It's what, very roughly thirty feet.

Oh, and I'd like to point out-- Knothole Island is people from Knothole Glade on a new island. The way you phrased it was ambiguous. And yes, I was under the impression that Knothole Island wasn't discovered by the rest of Albion until Gordon came to pick up a Hero.

X

Xeon

Took what, a 100 million years for the plates to get where they are today?

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

How terrible my math is in the morning. =(

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Arladerus;312991 said:
How terrible my math is in the morning. =(

Not to worry. I didn't trust my own math, so I used Google. Surprisingly, I was actually right.

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score

Well. In a game and fictional worlds everything is possible.

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score

jwc2200;312842 said:
That's wut ai mint,:shifty:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Daemon300;312994 said:
Well. In a game and fictional worlds everything is possible.

Yes, that's true, but WHY would they feel the need to make that be the explanation? It's be like them going and saying: "Oh, when you go and jump off a cliff you go down because people have iron in them and the planet's magnetic field attracts them, and that's possible because it's a fantasy," instead of "gravity."

Compare: "bad cartography." To "the plate tectonics for Albion are really fast and they're a convergent boundary so they threw up an island in 500 years but apparently didn't cause any earthquakes or really spectacular mountains, though there are some good ones."

Daemon300

Premium
Reaction score

What about a big giant tsunami or what you call it pushed it over there XDDDDDDDD

Trawgdor

Rawkin'
Reaction score

Even if it's a game world, it still has to make a little sense.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

there is an ingame book that states that the cartographers of 500 years ago didnt know mutch and the whole thing was a lot of guess work. it accounts for the changed map and also goes on to note the hazy history of the heros ansestor from Fable 1.

kind of a lazy excuse for changing the map, but hey it works. once. they better not pull that on Fable III.

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score

For Fable 3, they're probably going to pull off a Golden Sun 1 -> Golden Sun 2.

gsmap.JPG
gs2map.JPG

X

Xeon

The middle part of the map looks like south america

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

All I see is, that the first map is a bit cartoony, and taking into account the cartographers not knowing a whole lot, and the second one looks more professional. But there's a kind of a peninsula point going on, so maybe over time, the water level has rose and the islands got smaller and smaller till they became the peninsulas tail, if any one understands what I'm saying. ^_^ OR maybe knothole moved over and became part of the main land (Westcliff) and hookcoast became the peninsulas tail. Either way, there's probably a million explanations.