• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lionhead kills off 'mindless' combat for Fable 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paragon

The Ghoul
Reaction score
Re: Lionhead kills off 'mindless' combat for Fable 3

This makes me very happy to hear this news. I was hoping for just a little bit more of a challenge out of gameplay.

KnightImmortal33

Holy Hero
Reaction score

From what I have seen, the combat animations are much smoother and graphically pleasing. The spell weaving feature is cool to me. I'm interested to see how combo spells will look combined.Also, the fast pace switching gives an extra edge to the hero.

FableTLCFan

Reaction score

i personally like the fact that u can use your melee and your ranged attacks at the same time

OpenWorldExplorer

Reaction score

Necromancer11;416705 said:
It sounds like they're not making the game extremely difficult, but just not as easy as its two preceders. That's exactly what I want.

Just what I'm hoping for, as well. The first 2 games definitely sacrificed a lot of challenge in exchange for accessibilty, but I'd hate to see the series go the other way. There are enough games out there already that are controller-smashingly, hair-pullingly difficult. Give me something more in between (even if it still errs a little on the side of easiness) and I'll be happy. :cool:

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

OpenWorldExplorer;417931 said:
Just what I'm hoping for, as well. The first 2 games definitely sacrificed a lot of challenge in exchange for accessibilty, but I'd hate to see the series go the other way. There are enough games out there already that are controller-smashingly, hair-pullingly difficult. Give me something more in between (even if it still errs a little on the side of easiness) and I'll be happy. :cool:

I agree, although i am not a brilliant gamer myself, the fable series has always been a little too easy. they should make it a little more challenging, but as long as it doesn't end up like trying to play 'Through the fire and flames' on hard, on guitar hero I'll be happy

KnightImmortal33

Holy Hero
Reaction score

joslen1;417936 said:
I agree, although i am not a brilliant gamer myself, the fable series has always been a little too easy. they should make it a little more challenging, but as long as it doesn't end up like trying to play 'Through the fire and flames' on hard, on guitar hero I'll be happy

Fable combat is easy but that is the point. The hero is weak in the beginning and becomes all powerful in the end. The world is at the hero's command.

Mad Money Z

If I was a penguin...
Reaction score

That Adaptive Difficulty thing would be vury vury nice!!!
The 3 main reasons Fable 2 sucked for combat

1) The enemy AI was terrible. I could stand for a good amount of time before that attacked me.

2) Imo the hardest boss might have been the great shard because of the time it took to kill it.

3) Once you fully maxed out your health bar and had damage decreasing augments you could withstand loads of damage and see it move very very little.

GhostlyIcicle

I'm so lazy that...
Reaction score

Mad Money Z;418222 said:
That Adaptive Difficulty thing would be vury vury nice!!!
The 3 main reasons Fable 2 sucked for combat

1) The enemy AI was terrible. I could stand for a good amount of time before that attacked me.

2) Imo the hardest boss might have been the great shard because of the time it took to kill it.

3) Once you fully maxed out your health bar and had damage decreasing augments you could withstand loads of damage and see it move very very little.

Thanks, that's why I suggested it ;) Haha ^_^
Grim, I'd also like to say that, when I say Adaptive Difficulty liek the Director, obviously it's not gonna get to that point. It'll have it's limits, just most fights will be hard. Supposing your doing well for a prolonged period of time that is. :noexpression:

Lynne

Reaction score

I see it both ways. Of course I thought Fable II was mighty easy (except for those stupid trolls which would take me AGES to kill when I first got the game), however I do respect Lionhead for aiming to make their game as accessible to players of all types as possible. I, like many of you, think this would work the best with a difficulty setting, but I understand where Lionhead is coming from. Fable is the one game that got me started playing video games of any kind. Any other game I would try to play, as an unskilled female gamer with little patience...would simply frustrate me enough that I would just stop playing. Fable's been the only game series I, as a casual gamer, have ever finished through. I think that's important to Lionhead. They don't want to make it so difficult that casual gamers would get frustrated and quit halfway through. It's unfortunate for the more serious gamers, but it's hard to please everyone. Especially since what may be extremely easy to you, would be very difficult for me.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

I'd be fine with less casual gamers.

Just sayin'.

Lynne

Reaction score

That somehow doesn't surprise me. Thing is though- The fable series attracts more casual gamers, and that's how it is. There's nothing wrong with casual gamers- they sometimes turn into more serious gamers. But most people have a job or school or a life or a boyfriend or girlfriend or familes that take up a lot of the time, so to come home from a long day and enjoy an hour or two of a game like Fable is really nice.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Yeah, well, casual gamers have every excuse in the book as to why they are the way they are. But hey, at least I can look forward to Fable III weeding out some of the casuals considering it's supposed to be more difficult than the last two.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Lynne;418246 said:
That somehow doesn't surprise me. Thing is though- The fable series attracts more casual gamers, and that's how it is. There's nothing wrong with casual gamers- they sometimes turn into more serious gamers. But most people have a job or school or a life or a boyfriend or girlfriend or familes that take up a lot of the time, so to come home from a long day and enjoy an hour or two of a game like Fable is really nice.
According to what you are saying, that makes me a casual gamer.
But I still kick ass! Fable II was way too easy - take it from a casual gamer :p

Now pretty please - with sugar on top - make the f*cking game harder!

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

even by my standards, which are LOW (as in super mario 64 low) fable 2 was pathetically easy

GhostlyIcicle

I'm so lazy that...
Reaction score

Hence the adaptive bloody difficulty! Christ sake ..

Casual Gamer : He/She is playing it casually, so they get a casual difficulty.
Hardcore gamer : He/She is playing it seriously, progressing quickly and killing enemies efficiently, thus getting a harder difficulty.

It's that simple. More accesible for both kinds of player.
And anyway, if you're in the Sanctuary, where are you going to go to changeyour game difficulty? The Sanctuary game settings? Adaptive difficulty is way more realistic. Realistic in a magical, Fable kind of way.

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

GhostlyIcicle;418424 said:
Hence the adaptive bloody difficulty! Christ sake ..

Casual Gamer : He/She is playing it casually, so they get a casual difficulty.
Hardcore gamer : He/She is playing it seriously, progressing quickly and killing enemies efficiently, thus getting a harder difficulty.

It's that simple. More accesible for both kinds of player.
And anyway, if you're in the Sanctuary, where are you going to go to changeyour game difficulty? The Sanctuary game settings? Adaptive difficulty is way more realistic. Realistic in a magical, Fable kind of way.

*lifts handbag in front of chest* OOOOOOOHHHH, keep yer 'air on. I agree, i was merely stating a fact.

GhostlyIcicle

I'm so lazy that...
Reaction score

joslen1;418426 said:
*lifts handbag in front of chest* OOOOOOOHHHH, keep yer 'air on. I agree, i was merely stating a fact.

I'm completely calm actually :getlost:
And it was aimed at Lynne..

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

GhostlyIcicle;418428 said:
I'm completely calm actually :getlost:
And it was aimed at Lynne..

my sincerest apologies, in that case. Lynne, use my quote!!!

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Nah, they just need to stop making games accessible to the casuals. The faster we get rid of them the faster we can get some real quality games made.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

GrimWhim;418474 said:
Nah, they just need to stop making games accessible to the casuals. The faster we get rid of them the faster we can get some real quality games made.
Yeah!
But the game industry has become too greedy, shipping unpolished games and aiming for a wider audience. It's all about money :p

Status
Not open for further replies.