• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Movie suggestions.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
Re: Movie suggestions.

GrimWhim;428461 said:
District 9... wasn't too bad, kind of weird to be honest. American History X was actually a pretty good movie but not the role Edward Norton fits too well. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 9 was a terrible movie and it seemed way too short. I love Tim Burton but even my biased love for him won't change my opinion of that film.

Also, I already mentioned Death at a Funeral, heh. I do appreciate the suggestions (even if I have seen most of 'em). That Big Fish... what's that about?

I can't say that I really LIKED District 9 either (I actually found it rather disturbing), but I could appreciate the fact that the plot was completely different than the zillion other aliens-coming-to-Earth movies out there, and I thought it touched on some interesting ethical issues.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like 9! I'm also a big Tim Burton fan and that's pretty much tied with A Nightmare Before Christmas as my favorite of his movies. Big Fish is also a Tim Burton movie, but it's different than most of his other stuff. It's still full of odd characters and strange events, but the storyline is really about a father and son trying to reconcile after years of having a not-so-great relationship. It's definitely more heartfelt than most of his other movies - which can good or bad, depending on your tastes. I'm a girl, so I'm naturally wired to like that sort of thing :p

Sorry, I completely missed your Death at Funeral mention. I'll never understand exactly why British people are so much funnier than Americans, but they totally are. I swear, when that midget popped out of the coffin I just about peed my pants!!

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

GrimWhim;428461 said:
Drag Me To Hell was a terrible movie. I liked the few elements it took from the Evil Dead movies but it just wasn't anywhere near as good or as cheesy as them. In fact, I thought it was supposed to be a serious horror movie but then halfway through he just kinda said "To hell with it!" and put in some rather ridiculous moments.

That's strange, I've seen people saying the same. It felt as a comedy from start to finish for me.

But I agree with you on 9 - pretty much the only good thing about it was the trailer (and that's 50% because
of the soundtrack).

And I absolutely love District 9.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Rh Factor;428493 said:
I can't say that I really LIKED District 9 either (I actually found it rather disturbing), but I could appreciate the fact that the plot was completely different than the zillion other aliens-coming-to-Earth movies out there, and I thought it touched on some interesting ethical issues.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like 9! I'm also a big Tim Burton fan and that's pretty much tied with A Nightmare Before Christmas as my favorite of his movies. Big Fish is also a Tim Burton movie, but it's different than most of his other stuff. It's still full of odd characters and strange events, but the storyline is really about a father and son trying to reconcile after years of having a not-so-great relationship. It's definitely more heartfelt than most of his other movies - which can good or bad, depending on your tastes. I'm a girl, so I'm naturally wired to like that sort of thing :p

Sorry, I completely missed your Death at Funeral mention. I'll never understand exactly why British people are so much funnier than Americans, but they totally are. I swear, when that midget popped out of the coffin I just about peed my pants!!

9 was... I don't even know how to properly describe it. It was just this god awful mess that made almost no sense with bland characters. It could have been good but it wasn't and not even my biased feelings towards Tim Burton and his movies will get in the way of me not liking the movie.

No wonder the name sounded familiar, I'll check it out but I'm not into the uh... "heartfelt" type movies.

Well, not ALL Brits are funnier than us but I'd say a good chunk of them are. After all, I don't think any American has produced anything that is on par with Monty Python's work.

TRA Rotid;428517 said:
That's strange, I've seen people saying the same. It felt as a comedy from start to finish for me.

But I agree with you on 9 - pretty much the only good thing about it was the trailer (and that's 50% because
of the soundtrack).

And I absolutely love District 9.

Not sure either but at first I thought it to be serious what with the demons dragging the kid to hell and then that frightening old lady. There were a few funny parts but it's definitely not a movie that deserves to be watched more than once.

Inorite? I only really watched it because A) I saw Tim Burton's name on it and B) Because the main character is voiced by Elijah Wood.

Eh... District 9 wasn't too bad. I'm just not big on movies that try too hard to speak about issues we've already heard a thousand times before.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Wait, District 9 had a message?

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

V for Vendetta is great, District 9 was so awesome I can't even put into words. Was the most differen't movie I've seen in a long time, and I totally love those aliens. I haven't seen 9. And Zombieland is the worst movie..EVER...>.< (whole entire world is covered in zombies, and how many do I see throughout the movie? Like...10. Not to mention, who's FRIGGEN stupid enough to TURN ON an AMUSEMENT PARK...DUH!?...Plus, seemed like a totally rip off of Left 4 dead..which is also better than that movie. Only good part about it was the Dude and his Twinkies..:wub:) Shaun of the dead's totally better.

and HOT FUZZ FTW!

ALSO!: Disturbia, Crank (both), KungFu Panda, Hot Rod, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, RearWindow, The Man who knew Too Much, Some like it hot.

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score

District 9 was a fine movie, not the greatest by any means, but good. I HATED the main character, with a passion... gawd was he a retard. I can understand him being scared and all that, but cutting off your thumb? Come on... and how he ****ed up even with a super mech at the end... If anyone, anyone else has been in that mech every single one of those soldiers would have been killed.

Anyway. Kung Pow is amazing. 9 was good because of the concept and as mentioned the ethical portions. Otherwise it was bland and uninteresting, even for a post-apocalypse setting (my favorite).

Zombie movies rule, I'm a big zombie fan so anything by George A. Romero I recommend. See Tom Sevini's(sp?) remake of Night of the Living Dead (1990), I happen to like it better than the original.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

TRA Rotid;428788 said:
Wait, District 9 had a message?

Yeah, something about xenophobia or some retarded ****. They said the same thing for Avatar. People read into movies way too much but they're morons so who cares?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Apartheid.

It was about apartheid....

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score

GrimWhim;428847 said:
Yeah, something about xenophobia or some retarded ****. They said the same thing for Avatar. People read into movies way too much but they're morons so who cares?

REALLY?? ... Oh well, I guess I'm a moron then.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Tsuyu;428855 said:
Apartheid.

It was about apartheid....

Don't come in here with that crazy talk, boy!

Imma 'bout five seconds away from gettin' mah whoopin' stick.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

Comedy:
Anchorman, Kung Pow, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights.
(Freaking love Will Ferrel)
Watch Kung Pow and you'll understand some of my dark, lame humor ^_^

Action:
Commando (EPIIIC) it has it all! a fat evil villain, Arnold petting bambi, Arnold yelling "Jenny" the whole time while spweing out one-liners. - epic, just epic ^_^

Other Epic, more serious-like movies:
Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction

Just a few of my favorites :D

OR!

GO BUY HALO:REACH!!! .... so good <3

GrimWhim

Reaction score

If I had the money I'd buy it but I don't so I can't.

Anyways... I've got all types of movies suggested here but no one has managed to suggest any fantasy movies. How lame is that?

If Hollywood wants to make some money, they should make more of 'em. Preferably where the evil villain doesn't get his ass kicked by a bunch of snotty do-gooders.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

One word:

Vuze

Money problem solved

GrimWhim

Reaction score

SimonKalevra;428920 said:
One word:

Vuze

Money problem solved

Vuze? Is that some kind of drug or something? Because I've never really been interested in being a drug baron.

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

GrimWhim;428922 said:
Vuze? Is that some kind of drug or something? Because I've never really been interested in being a drug baron.
Another word:

Google

GrimWhim

Reaction score

SimonKalevra;428925 said:
Another word:

Google

Google doesn't give free monies. >:\

SimonKalevra

Reaction score

GrimWhim;428932 said:
Google doesn't give free monies. >:\
Just google the word, it's a torrent download center.
You can download free (not so legal) copies of pretty much everymovie that's worth watching.

Now go buy Halo: Reach

GrimWhim

Reaction score

SimonKalevra;428952 said:
Just google the word, it's a torrent download center.
You can download free (not so legal) copies of pretty much everymovie that's worth watching.

Now go buy Halo: Reach

Oh, psh, I already do that. Did you honestly think I was going to buy/rent all these movies?

PFT! HAHAHA!

But seriously, I'm still poor.

Having no job means no income. No income means no monies to blow on fun junk like Halo: Reach.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

*taps the rule book*

Discussion of illegal activities such as pirating movies is not allowed. Deleted a few posts.

Boyd Gatrie

I'm stupid
Reaction score

§ephiroxa§;428799 said:
V for Vendetta is great, District 9 was so awesome I can't even put into words. Was the most differen't movie I've seen in a long time, and I totally love those aliens. I haven't seen 9. And Zombieland is the worst movie..EVER...>.< (whole entire world is covered in zombies, and how many do I see throughout the movie? Like...10. Not to mention, who's FRIGGEN stupid enough to TURN ON an AMUSEMENT PARK...DUH!?...Plus, seemed like a totally rip off of Left 4 dead..which is also better than that movie. Only good part about it was the Dude and his Twinkies..:wub:) Shaun of the dead's totally better.

and HOT FUZZ FTW!

Can't agree on Zombieland, because Bill Murray(spelling) was the best part. But I do agree about shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz... So great!