• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

Foo Fighters or Nirvana?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
Times Like These (single) was 2003 thats what I saw when looking didnt think about the album. :lol:

I think Foo Fighters are the more complete band and would be more exciting to see live but I cant ignore the influence that Nirvana had on the music industry and 24 years later are still admired. I grew up listening to Nirvana among a lot of the bands that inspired Cobain (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Queen, and Kiss) amongst many others of course and still sound so raw and brilliant today. Grohl is just a brilliantly talented man to be able to play so many instruments as well as being a singer and song writer hes one of the most complete front men around.

Fair doos... but you need to vote!! Which do you prefer, both side has pros and cons but there can only be one winner!!

Btw can you take off the 'Multiple votes allowed' thing? I have no idea why I clicked that lulz.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Fair doos... but you need to vote!! Which do you prefer, both side has pros and cons but there can only be one winner!!

Btw can you take off the 'Multiple votes allowed' thing? I have no idea why I clicked that lulz.

I tried but I cant edit it in that way for some reason.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Never listened to Foo Fighters and didn't like Nirvana way back then, I was still too busy listening to my 80s hair & thrash metal when Nirvana took the world by storm. As of today I've given Nirvana a chance and some of their songs have grown on me, including the ones that only play on the radio.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
Never listened to Foo Fighters and didn't like Nirvana way back then, I was still too busy listening to my 80s hair & thrash metal when Nirvana took the world by storm. As of today I've given Nirvana a chance and some of their songs have grown on me, including the ones that only play on the radio.

Couldn't you give a Foo Fighters song a listen and then make a decision....? Come on, that's fair. >.>

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Couldn't you give a Foo Fighters song a listen and then make a decision....? Come on, that's fair. >.>

Just did, not my cup o' tea honestly.

Prefer Soundgarden over both of these bands.

Reaction score
I like them both, can't really ask me to choose between the two.

Always liked this nirvana song personally, I think it sounds pretty different from the others.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Amazing thing is that after all the years of listening to Nirvana there are tracks I dont recognise or remember hearing before surfacing now including B-Sides and previously unreleased stuff too.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Thread title:
Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

I think this means the question is

Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

If you're only going to comment to tell me that it's stupid to ask you to pick a favourite don't bother commenting.

Hobbe, you're trying to settle an argument with your friend, no? You're both right, you know. Musical taste is not objective.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
Hobbe, you're trying to settle an argument with your friend, no? You're both right, you know. Musical taste is not objective.

I'm just getting opinions...

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
What you're missing Hobbe is the 1990's. Nirvana needs some time period incorporation in the sense that you need to have been in the mindset of the era to appreciate what they were to the full extent.
Stairway loses some sheen from all of the influences you probably listened to first. Same goes for The Beatles. Imagine a world of Chuck Berry, Elvis, and Bill Haley & The Comets when, out of nowhere, Please, Please Me comes out.

Failing that perspective, I'd still argue they're a fantastic band.
A lot of people these days hear about Nirvana for obvious reasons and get turned off by them. They aren't the most listenable group ever but there's gold to be found.

Fact is that Nirvana changed music on a massive scale and became disgustingly popular for their music and image. I'm not a Foo Fighters fan so my choice is obvious. Personally I think David Grohl's best independent work was Songs for the Deaf with Queens of the Stone Age.
For anyone in this thread who doesn't like Nirvana and thinks they can just write them off, I've got a Pitchfork Media quote for you.

"Sure, there will always be those who insist that Nevermind was more of cultural import than musical, but they will also be full of ****: Nirvana are, a decade later, still regarded as the greatest and most legendary band of the 1990s. This band proved to a whole new generation that technical prowess has no bearing on quality, inspired their fans to seek out the music that slipped beneath the commercial radar, and then had the balls to be ridiculously, unthinkably ****ing brilliant. Anyone who hates this record today is just trying to be cool, and needs to be trying harder."

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
Fact is that Nirvana changed music on a massive scale and became disgustingly popular for their music and image.

Now I've just got a question, not trying to take the **** or whatever... but didn't Nirvana start getting REALLY popular after Kurt committed suicide?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Now I've just got a question, not trying to take the **** or whatever... but didn't Nirvana start getting REALLY popular after Kurt committed suicide?
It's very possible, I couldn't tell you if they did or didn't. Even if it's true they still became insanely popular before his death, evidenced by the media frenzy. My parents only know his name because it was all over every newspaper, news program... everything. What is that for Nirvana as a band if not exposure to people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of them or paid them any mind?

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
It's very possible, I couldn't tell you if they did or didn't. Even if it's true they still became insanely popular before his death, evidenced by the media frenzy. My parents only know his name because it was all over every newspaper, news program... everything. What is that for Nirvana as a band if not exposure to people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of them or paid them any mind?

Well it's publicity, but not exactly something to be proud of...

Their style was a re-hash. Early 70's Hippy poseurs. Nothing they did was original at all. See Grand funk Railroad. Nirvana's influence was fleeting, and lasted basically for only the 90's

JUST. SAYING.

I'm not hatin' on Nirvana. They have quite a few songs I like but I genuinely I don't see how they were better than the Foo Fighters - I mean, the Foos have so much more variety and to my ears their sound is just better (but that's just my opinion).

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
And yet better than Foo Fighters and Nirvana...

PLEASE NOT A MUSIC BASED ARGUMENT WHERE NO ONE CAN WIN (you're also wrong sorry I couldn't resist saying that but anyway)

Anyway, can't really compare Nirvana with bands like Foo Fighters for reasons cheez mentioned.

The reasons I ask is because Dave Grohl and all that, you know how he was in both bands and formed the Foo after Nirvana split up.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Well it's publicity, but not exactly something to be proud of...
They weren't proud of their fame. They didn't ask anybody to publicize Cobain's death.
It's just cause and effect.
Not like they could take it and turn it into cash, really. If anyone profited it was the media and subsequently the record label.
The label's still making a fortune off of their stuff.
The surviving members are benefiting, but each has found success in their own right so it's not like they hyped up his death to start raking it in because it was their last chance to make a quick buck off of the band's name.

I'm not hatin' on Nirvana. They have quite a few songs I like but I genuinely I don't see how they were better than the Foo Fighters - I mean, the Foos have so much more variety and to my ears their sound is just better (but that's just my opinion).
Nirvana would have taken off at many other time periods, but when they did it was at the right moment and they just became huge. That lead to mass popularity, which leads to many fans. Some would say that made them overrated, but I personally don't think it's the case. Hobbe it's one of those things where you can like an influence better than the creator, but in the eyes of history the first people who came up with it are the true innovators. They get more credit.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Happens to most people who have died too young in music to be honest, they normally get more well known after they die.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
The reasons I ask is because Dave Grohl and all that, you know how he was in both bands and formed the Foo after Nirvana split up.

He also plays (and provides the singing voice for)Satan in Tenacious D's song Tribute and their movie The Pick of Destiny.

Does that call for a Tenacious D vs. Foo Fighters vs. Nirvana discussion, too? As a matter of fact, Grohl has been in over thirty different bands. So yeah.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
He also plays (and provides the singing voice for)Satan in Tenacious D's song Tribute and their movie The Pick of Destiny.

Does that call for a Tenacious D vs. Foo Fighters vs. Nirvana discussion, too? As a matter of fact, Grohl has been in over thirty different bands. So yeah.

Indeed just scratching the surface with Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Scream, Dain Bramage, Them Crooked Vultures, Probot, Queens of the Stone Age, Tenacious D...