• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

Foo Fighters or Nirvana?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Now I've just got a question, not trying to take the **** or whatever... but didn't Nirvana start getting REALLY popular after Kurt committed suicide?

Well Hobbe, let me ask YOU a question. Didn't the Foo Fighters become REALLY popular after Kurt committed suicide?

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
They weren't proud of their fame. They didn't ask anybody to publicize Cobain's death.
It's just cause and effect.
Not like they could take it and turn it into cash, really. If anyone profited it was the media and subsequently the record label.
The label's still making a fortune off of their stuff.
The surviving members are benefiting, but each has found success in their own right so it's not like they hyped up his death to start raking it in because it was their last chance to make a quick buck off of the band's name.

Nirvana would have taken off at many other time periods, but when they did it was at the right moment and they just became huge. That lead to mass popularity, which leads to many fans. Some would say that made them overrated, but I personally don't think it's the case. Hobbe it's one of those things where you can like an influence better than the creator, but in the eyes of history the first people who came up with it are the true innovators. They get more credit.

Fair enough. I'm not denying any of that I was just asking.

Happens to most people who have died too young in music to be honest, they normally get more well known after they die.

Hmm... I suppose, same thing happened to Winehouse didn't it?

Does that call for a Tenacious D vs. Foo Fighters vs. Nirvana discussion, too? As a matter of fact, Grohl has been in over thirty different bands. So yeah.

STOP GANGING UP ON ME

The Foo and Nirvana are the most famous ones he's been in (apart from maybe Tenacious D but that was just a cameo so it doesn't really count).

Well Hobbe, let me ask YOU a question. Didn't the Foo Fighters become REALLY popular after Kurt committed suicide?

They didn't even form until Cobain died...

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
The Foo and Nirvana are the most famous ones he's been in (apart from maybe Tenacious D but that was just a cameo so it doesn't really count).
Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age? I'd argue that NIN are more well known than Foo Fighters. QOTSA maybe not, but I think their best album is the one he collab'd with them on.

Can't say either was minor Hobbesy. When he was with QOTSA they came out with this one and this one. Two of the bands best and most well-known songs.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age? I'd argue that NIN are more well known than Foo Fighters. QOTSA maybe not, but I think their best album is the one he collab'd with them on.

Can't say either was minor Hobbesy. When he was with QOTSA they came out with this one and this one. Two of the bands best and most well-known songs.

I know Nirvana are better known than Foo Fighters. And I also know those are good songs... look. Let's just say it's because Grohl is in Foo Fighters NOW and Nirvana because that's a really popular (in my opinion slightly overrated, notice the 'in my opinion') band he was once in. Ok? Good!!

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Obviously there will be no winner, but for opinions sake..

FOO FIGHTERS by Far.

Nirvana.. Really.. Very overrated.
They're only famous because of Kurt Cobain and how he died.

Foo Fighters are famous because nearly every single one of their songs (That i've heard) are amazing, or near amazing.

Im hopefully going to go see them live this month! :)

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
So your point is...?

I think he's saying that Foo Fighters are famous because of Dave Grohl, Dave Grohl is famous because of Kurt Cobain and they were both famous because of Nirvana.

So without Nirvana, the Foo Fighters wouldn't be anything.. Which I agree with to an extent.

EDIT: @Scarecrow

Wasting Light is an awful, awful album.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Hmm... I suppose, same thing happened to Winehouse didn't it?

Guess thats right too as well some of these Tupac, Elvis, Randy Rhoads (Ozzy), Sid Vicious (Sex Pistols), Cliff Burton (Metallica), Notorious B.I.G, Tommy Bolin (Deep Purple), Jimi Hendrix, The Rev (Avenged Sevenfold), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Keith Moon (The Who), Bon Scott (AC/DC), Dimebag Darrell (Pantera & Damageplan) to name just a few.

HobbeBrain

Reaction score
I think he's saying that Foo Fighters are famous because of Dave Grohl, Dave Grohl is famous because of Kurt Cobain and they were both famous because of Nirvana.

In which case:

All this is true, and nothing wrong with it, but I'm just asking the basic question of which bands produces the better songs. Don't get me wrong I like Nirvana and have a lot of respect for them, but musically, I prefer Foo Fighters, even though I agree Nirvana worked harder to get where they got. I mean, Dave Grohl was already famous when he formed Foo Fighters, Kurt had to start from scratch.

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Hey, to settle the debate, watch Back and Fourth, a Foo Fighters dvd/movie thing, it made me appreciate bands just as much, actually..

But, I just love Foo Fighters more because Dave Grohl is such an awesome guy, hes a true rocker but genuine guy at the same time.