• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So does anyone read?

Fenrir

Resident Profanitarian
Reaction score
"Master of chains" by Jess Lebow is pretty damn good too.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
You really shouldnt invest in technology for reading material, you cant share, one breaks it's all gone, and its obsolete by a the end of the year.. Nothing better than a paperback I say. I like Koontz, Stephen King, Terry Brooks is really good. I honestly don't read up much anymore.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
I partially agree with Zarkes, but the ebooks are a lot easier to carry around if, for example, you're trying to take a bunch of books somewhere. It's also cheaper to buy ebooks than hardcovers or paperbacks, and you can borrow them for free from the library, as well as some from Baen. Also, the only one I've actually bought, one directly from Baen, they sent me an e-mail that let's me download it in several formats whenever i need to.

That being said, Terry Brooks is... mediocre, in my own humble opinion. Some of his books are pretty good, some are utterly terrible, some are profoundly meh.

Monrizzo

Swagger Stick.
Reaction score
I read a lot of nonfiction, so I'll say that Gandhi is a very good book, also the Rasputin file is also worth looking at.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
And Hobbe, feel free to suggest teen books. Half of what I suggested was either teen or children's. And the other half is probably shelved with teen books at my library just to be weird.

YAY.

Well, I'd reccomend the Edge Chronicals, moreso the later on ones because the earliest couple of the books in that series may seem a little childish. Also Terry Pratchet, that stuff is bangin' and ting. I'm also reading the Hunger Games... it's not that bad?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
The Remains of the Day is excellent and also most books that got butchered by the film industry such as I Am Legend and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Coincidentally I just watched the movie version of The Remains of the Day starring Anthony Hopkins the other day. It wasn't bad, quite good actually, but seeing the infamous Hannibal Lector as a butler was... strange.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
so... i'm the only one here that doesn't mind book to film adaptations?
most of the best movies came from books... making hollywood think up their own ideas is a bad idea in general.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
To be honest, other than articles and work books, I have not read much lately, but a friend bought me the entire Dune series, and my Aunt gave me like ten Stephen King books.

My favorite author is Garth Nix, so I would suggest giving him a shot.
I will just list my last few reads, since I really don't have a favorite.
Lord of the Rings
Some novel about England being infected with a plague, I cannot remember the name.
Wage-labour and capital. Value, Price and Profit.
Gift from the Sea
The Golden Helix

I have a book I am sort of afraid to start reading called "Fortune made his Sword."

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
You really shouldnt invest in technology for reading material, you cant share, one breaks it's all gone, and its obsolete by a the end of the year.. Nothing better than a paperback I say. I like Koontz, Stephen King, Terry Brooks is really good. I honestly don't read up much anymore.

Once it breaks it's all gone? Um, no.

On my nook, anyway, I can download the books themselves to my PC, iPhone, nook, ect. The nook is not the only reading option.

I don't regret getting a nook, I only like it more and more.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I've never regretted getting nookie either, Ty. Except that one time, but it turned out the itching was a result of using a new kind of shower gel.

The Rh Factor

Likes shiny objects
Reaction score
In the sci-fi/fantasy genre, the Word and the Void trilogy by Terry Brooks (though I'm not that keen on some of his other stuff) and the Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are two series I really like that haven't been mentioned yet. I also really enjoy Guy Gavriel Kay's books, most of which are sci-fi/fantasy with a historical fiction kind of twist.

As for general fiction, I'd recommend trying some of Jodi Piccoult's books (I particularly liked Nineteen Minutes), The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve, and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has also been made into a movie.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
David Gemmel, Terry Pratchett, Anne Rice, J.M Barri, R.A Salvatore.

A few of my personal favs.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
David Gemmel, Terry Pratchett, Anne Rice, J.M Barri, R.A Salvatore.

A few of my personal favs.

Isn't the name Barrie? That is Peter Pan guy, right? I've never heard of David Gemmel.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has also been made into a movie.

TWO movies. The Swedes made one, and now they're working on one in the US. Or so I hear.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Yes J.M Barrie wrote Peter & Wendy, and Peter pan in kensington gardens or The little white bird. David Gemmel..... it really annoys and saddens me that no one ever knows the name, he was such a brilliant fantasy writer the most skilled fantasy writer I've read to date.

Check out Legend by David Gemmel, it was the first I book I read by him, also Chronicles of Legend, he done the Drenai Saga and quite a fair few more series such as a troy series also John Shannow, Hawk Queen, he was an absolute genius.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Once it breaks it's all gone? Um, no.

On my nook, anyway, I can download the books themselves to my PC, iPhone, nook, ect. The nook is not the only reading option.

I don't regret getting a nook, I only like it more and more.

Well you can't trade to friends unless you give them your technology, also you can't share between tablets like Kindle or Ipad. If a book gets old you can get a new one, but I'm not willing to spend 100-200$ every one to two years for the next big thing, even if the data is transferable.

I'm thinking about getting an Ipad for college actually, it would make it all convienant. I'm not saying it's a bad investment, I'm just saying myah whats the big deal?

For me I'm not going crazy for this tech until it's like 3D or holographic lmao. Once I can get my phone,camera, browser, reading, interface all on my watch...someday soon..

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
Well you can't trade to friends unless you give them your technology, also you can't share between tablets like Kindle or Ipad. If a book gets old you can get a new one, but I'm not willing to spend 100-200$ every one to two years for the next big thing, even if the data is transferable.

I'm thinking about getting an Ipad for college actually, it would make it all convienant. I'm not saying it's a bad investment, I'm just saying myah whats the big deal?

For me I'm not going crazy for this tech until it's like 3D or holographic lmao. Once I can get my phone,camera, browser, reading, interface all on my watch...someday soon..

It was a Christmas present.

POINT NULL

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
It was a Christmas present.

POINT NULL

Sorry, I wasn't making a point I believe you quoted me.

How many gigs dose the nook have?