• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

star wars vs. lord of the rings

Which do you prefer?

• Star Wars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: star wars vs. lord of the rings

Walker;104029 said:
I still can't agree on saying that it's a trilogy by the definition of trilogy.

When it is published in the most common way of three books, it is the definition of a trilogy, and that was my point all along.

As for the whole thingy being one, as I've now come to realize, is not since it was never really intended to be published in this way.

Oh, and about The Hobbit; I actually think that has to be my favourite book by Tolkien. It is really... charming, and was one of the first fantasy books I read when I was younger, without knowing it was the "start" of the LotR, so I was kinda amazed when I read the LotR books later on.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

GAAAAAAH!!!!! You're the one who posted the definition! Please tell me how the Lord of the Rings qualifies as having been "written in three parts?" I won't brihng up the debate whether each each volume is a "complete unit in itself," so ignore that point.

Rambling About When I read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit

Yeah, I have no idea what order I read them in. I think I read The Hobbit first and the Fellowship of the Ring second, then didn't finish the other two volumes of Lord of the Rings until later that school year. But I don't remember, really because I first read them in second grade (for those of you with different educational systems, kindergarten at about five years old, then 1st a year later and so on up to 12th, so I was 6 or 7) and I didn't reread them all until seventh grade (11 or 12). I think I read The Hobbit several times over those years, though. And I'm 17 now (okay, 17 in 8 days, but close enough) so I'm probably going to reread them sometime soon.

Um... yeah, I'm rereading it, to make a long story short. Just need to find one of the huge-*** All-3-Volumes-in-one tomes. I might end up reading the separate volumes, but I don't like doing that because it's too easy to lose them. Trust me, when you have the huge 1,000+ page tome (counting the appendices) you aren't going to lose it.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;104470 said:
GAAAAAAH!!!!! You're the one who posted the definition! Please tell me how the Lord of the Rings qualifies as having been "written in three parts?" I won't brihng up the debate whether each each volume is a "complete unit in itself," so ignore that point.

Keep in mind that I, at the time, had no idea that some sneaky publisher altered the release and as such thought the default 3-books-package was the way Tolkien wrote it.

Walker;104470 said:
Rambling About When I read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit

Yeah, I have no idea what order I read them in. I think I read The Hobbit first and the Fellowship of the Ring second, then didn't finish the other two volumes of Lord of the Rings until later that school year. But I don't remember, really because I first read them in second grade (for those of you with different educational systems, kindergarten at about five years old, then 1st a year later and so on up to 12th, so I was 6 or 7) and I didn't reread them all until seventh grade (11 or 12). I think I read The Hobbit several times over those years, though. And I'm 17 now (okay, 17 in 8 days, but close enough) so I'm probably going to reread them sometime soon.

Um... yeah, I'm rereading it, to make a long story short. Just need to find one of the huge-*** All-3-Volumes-in-one tomes. I might end up readint the separate volumes, but I don't like doing that because it's too easy to lose them. Trust me, when you have the huge 1,000+ page tome (counting the appendices) you aren't going to lose it.

Yeah, about the same here. The Hobbit was a book I borrowed from school when I was perhaps 10-13, too bad I didn't keep it really. I've got tons of books from all those years ago that I forgot to give back, and nobody has bothered me about it. Nyahahahaha....

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

But... but... [wails] you just said it was the very definition of "trilogy" again! (oh, I am so confused)

[Evil snicker] Yeah, I've retained a couple books over the years, too. About eight books or so I borrowed from teachers or hospitals (don't ask) and never gave back. When my brother had to read Call of the Wild/White Fang in middle school (it was a two-in-one book) he kept that. Regrettably, someone had torn out something like three pages right where Buck was fighting the other dog in Call of the Wild, so all I know is that poor little Bucky survived.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;104503 said:
But... but... [wails] you just said it was the very definition of "trilogy" again! (oh, I am so confused)

Yes, when it is released in the "three-books-version" it is, however I've learnt that that was just some publisher who went over Tolkien's choice, as he wrote it differently, not as a trilogy.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Um... but the definition of trilogy you posted said "written in three parts" not "published or released in three parts," did it not?

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

Walker;104512 said:
Um... but the definition of trilogy you posted said "written in three parts" not "published or released in three parts," did it not?

Yes, and as I've said countless times by now, I had never heard of Tolkien's intentions not to make it a trilogy, and assumed the three-books-publishing was what he wrote it for, thereby fitting perfectly into the trilogy definition.

F

fanek

Star wars are just better then LOTR. I don't like LOTR because it's not my type of movie, however I think the trilogy is good ;-), but Star Wars are just fantastic for me, I love that saga!

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

lord of the ring is wayyy better,
what would you prefer to see, some little green guy with a torch or a man with a sword run through a monster

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Star Wars has waaay cooler moves, but I like LotR better cause of the story

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score

A041.gif
Are you kidding me?...Star Wars, dude. I mean come on, Darth Vader..need i say more?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

andythegill;128526 said:
what would you prefer to see, some little green guy with a torch or a man with a sword run through a monster

That 'torch' is one of best weapons in a story ever made. The lightsaber is legendary and id much prefer something that can slice through most things and can be retracted than a sword any day.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

andythegill;128526 said:

Yoda would kick Gandolf's butt :p
Go ahead and have your "One Ring" I'll take the Death Star. Have fun trying to "Rule them all" as vaporized bits floating in space :lol:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Here's the problem, though: sure, you can vaporize them, but after you vaporize immortals they tend to come back extremely angry. I can see it now: the once-in-a-lifetime alliance of the watchyamacallem-- Valar and Sauron, plus (just for the hell of it) Morgoth (unless his official name is the other one that I don't remember), with the sole purpose of kicking Palpatine's mangy buttocks.

And I won't even get into Yoda vs. Gandalf. I think it's much more likely that they'd sit down, share a pipe or two, and ***** about Luke and Frodo; or Saruman and Anakin.

That is a good question, though: pyrokinesis vs. telekinesis. Who would win?